29 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:46

Rumors of Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox One pop up
by John Callaham

While we know that Microsoft's in-house team at Turn 10 Studios is busy making Forza Motorsport 5 for the Xbox One launch later this year, yet another game in the Forza franchise may also be in development at UK-based Playground Games.

Playground Games was the main developer behind Forza Horizon, which Microsoft published for the Xbox 360 in October 2012. Unlike the regular Forza Motorsport series, which is heavy into the racing sim genre, Forza Horizon was an open world racing game with a mix of both realistic and arcade racing designs.

This week, Polygon reports that Yibo Liu, a technical artist at Playground Games, stated on his LinkedIn page that he was the "... only technical artist in the vehicle art team for an undisclosed next-gen Forza project." Since then he has edited the LinkedLin page to simply saying he is working on an "Xbox One project."

If you add both the original listing and the edited one together, a rather convincing case could be made that Playground Games is in fact working on Forza Motorsport 2. If in fact this is true, it's likely it is using the same game engine that Forza Motorsport 5 is using, just as the original Forza Horizon used the same game engine as Forza Motorsport 4.

Source: Polygon | Image via Microsoft

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,697 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:00

Seems obvious they would make a Forza Horizons 2 for the Xbox one, the first one was a success, and is a different franchise from regular Forza, Forza is for hardcore simmers who want to race GT racing on tracks. Horizons is for people who just want to enjoy beautiful cars on beautiful free tracks. 

It's also fairly cheap to make since it not only uses the same engine as Forza, but the same car models and other data. half the game is basically free (at some level I would argue that when you buy a car pack in one of the games you should get it in both, but that would never happen anyway, and I do understand there's additional work done, but still...)

I suppose the rumor that pretty much said Forza and Horizons would come out every 2 years and switch years is still going though. 

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:02

Oh god not another one :sleep2: Can't we have a new PGR or something completely new? Really sick of them focusing on the same 4 IPs.

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,977 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:19

There's new IP in the works, we know that for sure but I think they're going for something like one IP per genre.  If you look at it, from MS itself they have halo for their shooter, forza for racing, fable for the RPG, the Kinect casual stuff and so on.  I don't think they want to have multiple IPs in the same genre so the new stuff should be different.  I think whatever black tusk is working on will be in the third person action/stealth category from the looks of the teaser vid at E3.

Who knows though, maybe they'll do a new PGR for the arcade racing niche at some point?

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:38

But there's no reason that they can't ask those developers to create new IPs and to skip a year from their bread and butter. That's the duty of 1st party; take risks and push boundaries. Microsoft are too scared to break away from what they know and it's going to hurt them the longer they continue. E3 was a perfect example, it was probably the first time a new Halo game never received cheers when unveiled :no:

All these yearly franchises are just boring now and the improvements between them hardly ever warrant full numbered sequels. I don't expect them to stop 343 from working on Halo because lets face it, they've spent a lot putting that studio together. They could ask Turn10 and Lionhead to work on new IPs in their respective genre at least though. Fable in particular since 3 was a let down in most people's eyes and Molyneux is no longer involved.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,697 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:50

Oh god not another one :sleep2: Can't we have a new PGR or something completely new? Really sick of them focusing on the same 4 IPs.

Horizons is basically PGR. 

With Horizons, I now longer miss PGR, the only thing they don't have from PGR is the bikes, and lets be honest, it's better that way. 

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:53

Horizons is basically PGR.

Far from it IMO. I know they have the dream team working on it, including ex-BC devs, but I was bored v.quickly with Horizon.

Whereas, I bought the 360 just to play PGR3. PGR2 is still my favourite driving game ever and Horizon doesn't even come close to it. They should never have let Activision buy and chew them up :no:

#8 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:02

PGR isnt a new Ip.

Quite how you can moan I dont know, Horizons is one of, if not the best game of its type out there. Id rather have something I know will be good than the revival of an old ip, or some new clone thats going to be un-proven and more than likely mince.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,697 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:10

Honestly I prefer Horzions over PGR.

I loved the PGR style and all, and I usually despise open world racing games because the tracks are usually not as well designed.

with Horizons however, it seems they designed the tracks first, and then they designed the open world around the tracks. giving the benefit of great tracks and open world. It also carries over pretty much all the gameplay elements from PGR, including a renamed KUDOS system. 

On top of that since it shares engine with Forza, you get far more cars than PGR ever had. 

the only thing I miss from PGR is the somewhat real world city locations, but seeing that all the fworst tracks with the most annoying stop dead annoying edges where all those city tracks... eh...I Can live without stockholm. 

#10 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,186 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:48

PGR back in the Dreamcast days was immense at the time, but its been shown up so much since IMHO. And Id pretty much mirror Hawkmans above comments.

#11 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

• 737 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:57

But there's no reason that they can't ask those developers to create new IPs and to skip a year from their bread and butter. That's the duty of 1st party; take risks and push boundaries. Microsoft are too scared to break away from what they know and it's going to hurt them the longer they continue. E3 was a perfect example, it was probably the first time a new Halo game never received cheers when unveiled :no:

All these yearly franchises are just boring now and the improvements between them hardly ever warrant full numbered sequels. I don't expect them to stop 343 from working on Halo because lets face it, they've spent a lot putting that studio together. They could ask Turn10 and Lionhead to work on new IPs in their respective genre at least though. Fable in particular since 3 was a let down in most people's eyes and Molyneux is no longer involved.

I was stoked by the new Halo teaser. I'm more excited about Halo 5 than any other game I saw for both xbox and ps4 (well, KI 3 has me very excited).

#12 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• 1,236 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:33

I hear you. PGR was one of my favourite franchises on the 360. Im pretty sure the studio which made them doesn't exist anymore :(.

#13 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:36

It's a new IP. This is ONLY the second game and I think that is fine. One arcade racer and one Sim. I don't see a problem.
Aren't you tired of GT11?

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,989 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:21

I hear you. PGR was one of my favourite franchises on the 360. Im pretty sure the studio which made them doesn't exist anymore :(.

Yeah they were bought over by Activision. They made a few games with them but closed in 2011.

PGR back in the Dreamcast days was immense at the time, but its been shown up so much since IMHO. And Id pretty much mirror Hawkmans above comments.

MSR (Y) It might have been technically advanced, but nothing beats it for entertainment IMO. The XBL community during those days was golden. It might not be a new IP either but it has spent enough time away from the scene it would be welcomed back. Same goes for any of the other yearly franchises. Hell I'd even like to see a new Guitar Hero one day if they make it fresh. Some games can get away with it if they have a storyline which is covered in a trilogy etc. But reboots, spin offs and side stories, no just no. It's too much in too little time.

I was stoked by the new Halo teaser. I'm more excited about Halo 5 than any other game I saw for both xbox and ps4 (well, KI 3 has me very excited).

Yeah even though I'm sick of it, I can't ignore Halo so I'll definitely play it. No where near as hyped as I was years ago for the series, which definitely seems to be the sentiment across the industry and indeed the audience at MS' presser.

It's a new IP. This is ONLY the second game and I think that is fine. One arcade racer and one Sim. I don't see a problem.
Aren't you tired of GT11?

It's not a new IP.

I've never liked GT, and yes I'm sick of the series as well as Assassin's Creed, CoD, Fable, Gears, GoW, NFS and many other yearly franchises.

See that's your problem Yogurt, you think I'm a Sony fanboy but you don't actually don't know a single thing about me. I have opinions you don't share and you automatically pidgeon hole me, attacking anything I have to say with snide comments like your GT11 remark. Because I don't want any Forza sequels I must automatically enjoy and consequently not have an issue with GT sequels? Pathetic.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,697 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:42

Forza Horizons is a new IP. Horizons was the first game of the new IP. It's only relation to Forza is that it shares the sim engine and part of the graphics engine and the cars. but the game itself is a new IP and as a driving game is not Forza.