Obama vetoes ITC ban on Apple products

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,454 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:29

President Barack Obama vetoed an International Trade Commission (ITC) ban on some models of the iPhone and iPad today.

The ban started in June and only affected older models like the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 with cellular data connection. At the time, the ITC said those devices violated patents from Samsung.

Since iPhones and iPads are made overseas, the ITC was able to block them from being imported to the U.S. Obama's veto today means Apple will be able to ship those devices without worry.

It's good to see that Obama is completely bypassing illegal actions of Apple, the bans of ITC and simply saying F-U to every company that's not Apple out there.

Talk about free market and legal system. A great way to create inequality in the market. 

http://www.sfgate.co...els-4705218.php

What a signal to every non-American company that some American companies simply play by a completely different set of rules.

I wonder if he'll veto Samsung's infringements as well?  /s

#2 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,944 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:41

I suppose you missed the post on the front page, stating that Michael Froman issued the veto? /s

#3 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,894 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:10

Clearly he did, but lets not allow reality to intrude in his "Obama is the most evil president evar!" illusion...

http://www.neowin.ne...ple-ios-devices

#4 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:20

It's good to see that Obama is completely bypassing illegal actions of Apple, the bans of ITC and simply saying F-U to every company that's not Apple out there.

Talk about free market and legal system. A great way to create inequality in the market. 

http://www.sfgate.co...els-4705218.php

What a signal to every non-American company that some American companies simply play by a completely different set of rules.

I wonder if he'll veto Samsung's infringements as well?  /s

Except Obama didn't veto anything, please read before you knee jerk.

http://allthingsd.co...le-product-ban/

The veto came from Froman

#5 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,444 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:45

I suppose you missed the post on the front page, stating that Michael Froman issued the veto? /s

Except Obama didn't veto anything, please read before you knee jerk.

http://allthingsd.co...le-product-ban/

The veto came from Froman

Do you honestly believe that Obama wasn't complicit in the veto? The idea that members of his administration act without oversight lacks any credibility. As usual, whenever a legal ruling goes against American interests the US government—regardless of the political party in power—is all too happy to ignore international law / defy the international community and take unilateral action.

Obama was elected on the promise of change yet all he's delivered is more of the same. In terms of integrity he's even more of a failure than George W Bush.

#6 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:47

Do you honestly believe that Obama wasn't complicit in the veto? The idea that members of his administration act without oversight lacks any credibility. As usual, whenever a legal ruling goes against American interests the US government—regardless of the political party in power—is all too happy to ignore international law / defy the international community and take unilateral action.

Obama was elected on the promise of change yet all he's delivered is more of the same. In terms of integrity he's even more of a failure than George W Bush.

Who knows, but I just don't like the disinformation you guys are spreading, and so I'll continue to correct it wherever I see fit.

#7 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• 12,213 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 14:46

It must be good to be from the USA, eh.

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,444 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 August 2013 - 15:32

Who knows, but I just don't like the disinformation you guys are spreading, and so I'll continue to correct it wherever I see fit.

It's not disinformation, as Obama is responsible for his administration. You're quibbling over semantics here. Once again Obama has demonstrated that he is not interested in respecting international law and will defy it whenever it serves American interests, even when such behaviour is counter-productive in the long run. He's just as much of a corporate shill as those who came before him.

#9 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,761 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 04 August 2013 - 15:49

..  :s

#10 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 16:21

Obama owns Apple stocks--This move shouldn't surprise.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:32

So this basically gives Apple the freedom to do whatever in the heck they want to do and they won't have to worry about consequences.

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,553 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:53

So this basically gives Apple the freedom to do whatever in the heck they want to do and they won't have to worry about consequences.

Seems like it.  And I see comments about Google having the government in their back pockets.....

#13 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,845 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:25

Do you honestly believe that Obama wasn't complicit in the veto? The idea that members of his administration act without oversight lacks any credibility.

I can't agree with that just on it's face. America is a big, powerful, complex country, economy, and government. It is simply not possible for the President to approve every decision, that's why he has a cabinet and administration.

It's quite possible he approved, but you can't assume that. Not for something like this. If it is homecooking, I'm sure the US isn't the first or last country to do something of this nature.

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,553 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:40

Clearly he did, but lets not allow reality to intrude in his "Obama is the most evil president evar!" illusion...

http://www.neowin.ne...ple-ios-devices

Most sites out there are saying Obama vetoed the ban and calling it a Presidential veto.  Not sure if Michael Froman can issue the veto himself, or if Obama needs to sign off on it.  Thought only the President has the authority to veto things like this

#15 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,845 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:53

Most sites out there are saying Obama vetoed the ban and calling it a Presidential veto.  Not sure if Michael Froman can issue the veto himself, or if Obama needs to sign off on it.  Thought only the President has the authority to veto things like this

Article 1, Section 7 of the Constitution grants the President the authority to veto legislation passed by Congress.