Network Speeds Issue

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 August 2013 - 19:59

So I upgraded my router from the Linksys WRT54GL to the ASUS RT-AC66U router.

Yet, when copying a file from one computer to the next, I am still only getting around 11MB/s..

Is there something I need to change or what's going on?

#2 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 20:06

Are you talking wired or wireless? From wireless client to wireless client? Or from wireless client to wired client? To internet?

Nice that router now supports N or Gig, do your clients? Do you have anything else between your clients wired to your new gig router? That is not gig?

11MB/s would be a very good wired 100Mbit connection.. So your not at some point in your connection. Or what are you making the copy from, a USB disk that is where you limit could be?

#3 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 20:08

I am talking about a wired connection. It's coming from the system hard drive of one computer, to my computer.

Are you saying the speed depends on the hard drive? So if the file is coming from an old 7200RPM drive, it's maxed out at 11-15MB/s?

And anything between, not sure. The house is wired all the way through, my computer is close to the router...but not sure where the cable actually goes in the house, but it should end up to the router.

#4 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 04 August 2013 - 20:14

You're either hitting something that is limited to or operating at 100Mbit. If you believe everything should be on gigabit then start checking driver settings as your devices should be on auto negotiate for your router.

Some driver options like Green Ethernet can get stuck on 100Mbit even though "on-demand" they are supposed to re-negotiate to 1000Mbit.

#5 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 20:32

So it does not matter what the hard drives are?

My router is gigabit, my new computer is gigabit...and my old computer is gigabit.

I have checked all settings on drivers, turned off any power saving stuff...still same. Also checked all cables, they are all cat5e.

#6 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 21:32

Even if it depends on the drives, 7200RPM should be able to do between 90 and 150MB/s am I wrong?

So what the heck is going on?

#7 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2013 - 21:42

There's a tool somewhere to test the limit of your connection in a "vacuum" of sorts to see if there's any problems. Essentially it tests your speed without writing anything to the destination. I'll dig around to see if I can remember the name but basically you seem to be getting pretty good speeds as it is. You have to remember that a hard drive is going to be the slowest part of a system.

#8 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 21:47

Try shutting off the anti-virus on both PC's and copy.  I bet your network speed has little to do with the problem and that you're virus scanning the inbound file.

Once I adjusted what was scanning, my transfer file time went from 20 minutes to under 30 seconds.

#9 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 21:52

As I said, if it depends on the drives, the drives should be able to do at least 90MB/s......my max 14MB/s (average 11MB/s) is not 90.

And the computer getting the file, has no virus program (well it has Windows 8, how do you turn that off)

#10 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:06

OP - test your drive speeds to make sure everything is good on your end first. See what kind of Read/Write speeds you get. 

What is your Jumbo Frame set to?

Are you transferring many many small files or large files?

Hell my SSD on my MBP Retina is 475/410 R/W and with a Thunderbolt 500GB Portable drive it was only 80MB/S - 110MB/s 

#11 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:10

Double check to see if the network cards are running at gigabit speeds and not just assuming they are.

#12 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:17

How would I check? They are stated as 1000, so let me know what else I can check.

What is Jumbo Frame?

Also, how can I test drive speeds?

#13 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:21

11MB/s sounds like a 100MB connection. Sure your NIC is actually connected at the 1GB speed? Check your network status, it'll tell you its current link speed. I don't remember the exact numbers, when my network was at 100MB I would average like 12MB/s or so on copies, thereabouts. With this machine I'm on at the moment, on a 1GB network, I'm capped at the drive's speed as it's a mechanical drive, 7200RPM, I get about 55MB/s or so out of it. A couple units here have SSDs, if I recall they're around 100-110 if I remember right.

ihxk.png
Go to the network/sharing control panel, "Change adapter settings", then double click the network adapter in question.

I did have one issue quite a while back when my network had a couple of XP machines on it.. XP to/from 7 or Linux was slow for a gigabit network, even though they were configured properly, maybe 20MB/s under what they should be. Once they were bumped to 7 they went full speed. Never did figure that one out, you didn't mention what the other one was running but probably unrelated.

#14 Sage6500

Sage6500

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:29

As mentioned before confirm that all computers involved are actually at 1 Gbps 

speed.jpg

Next traditionally ASUS stock firmware for thier routers is not the best, most people will flash the router with either Tomato USB or DD-WRT

Tomato USB

http://tomato.groov.pl/

DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.ca/site/index

I have an older ASUS RT-N16 router with tomato USB and I get great speeds doing file transfers between computers. Like you I have cat5e wiring throughout the house and all computers support gigabit speeds. The transfer image is for 3 movie files sent between computers that are about 10 meters apart.  

transfer.jpg

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for all Ethernet cards, sometimes and upgraded driver will improve slow transfer speeds (sometimes not).

If you think you might want to use one of the 3rd party router firmwares mentioned above please make sure you read how-to's for both options.

Tomato USB

http://tomatousb.org...-on-asus-rt-n16

DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.ca...hp/Installation

Anyway, I hope you can get to the bottom of the issue. 

post-328294-0-78999100-1375653608.jpg

#15 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 August 2013 - 22:29

11MB/s sounds like a 100MB connection. Sure your NIC is actually connected at the 1GB speed? Check your network status, it'll tell you its current link speed. I don't remember the exact numbers, when my network was at 100MB I would average like 12MB/s or so on copies, thereabouts. With this machine I'm on at the moment, on a 1GB network, I'm capped at the drive's speed as it's a mechanical drive, 7200RPM, I get about 55MB/s or so out of it. A couple units here have SSDs, if I recall they're around 100-110 if I remember right.

ihxk.png
Go to the network/sharing control panel, "Change adapter settings", then double click the network adapter in question.

I did have one issue quite a while back when my network had a couple of XP machines on it.. XP to/from 7 or Linux was slow for a gigabit network, even though they were configured properly, maybe 20MB/s under what they should be. Once they were bumped to 7 they went full speed. Never did figure that one out, you didn't mention what the other one was running but probably unrelated.

Ok from that menu, it shows 100Mbps.....but WHY? All my computers are Windows 7 (mine is Windows 8)...all cables etc are Gigabit ready.

What am I missing....is there a setting somewhere I need to change.