Network Speeds Issue

This is the back of your router

post-328294-0-38457000-1375660704.jpg

Your home network speeds have noting to do with the speed set by your ISP for your modem.  Your computers are connected to the yellow ports on the router so they should get max speed (according to ASUS your modem is rated at 1.75Gbps). Resident Elite made a good point, maybe one of your Ethernet cables is not terminated correctly or has a wire broken - I had that happen after some renovations, prior to the work connection was 1 Gbps after the work it was down to 100 Mbps - once I opened the wall jack I found that one of the wires was broken  - I fixed it and I was back a 1 Gbps. 

Are both /all your computers saying that the connection is 100 Mbps or is just one of them that is 100 Mbps and the rest show 1 Gbps?

" cause that menu doesn't even say 1gb,says 100Mbps. "

Exactly my point -- your never going to see gig speeds if 1 of the computers your using to copy files to or from is connected at 100mbit.

Fix that and if other is gig your good. As mentioned, possible bad wire, could be bad port on your router? Change it to another one, change wire with one you should connected at gig, etc.

I mean the adapter menu, which shows the possible output number, shows 100Mbps, not related to copying

If the adapter menu doesn't show a 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) option then the card must not support 1 Gbps transfer speeds. you should have the following options if the adapter supports gigabit transfers:

post-328294-0-92317800-1375661918.jpg

I thought you guys were reading the entire thread, but no.

post-328294-0-92317800-1375661918.jpg

Shows up to 1000 Mbps, but if I select that, doesn't work, needs to be on Auto.

This menu (which is what I was referring too) shows 100 Mbps..

post-328294-0-78999100-1375653608.jpg

Going to try the cables

So I changed both cables and it's now showing 1Gbps, and my transfer went to 25MB/s to 30MB/s....is that what I should be getting with a 7200RPM drive?

Ok got it, then it could be a line issue as mentioned - the same exact thing happened to me when the reno's were done (see previous post) I could select 1000Mbps on the adapter menu but then no connection. Are you able to try another line or wall jack? And did you mention if it's just one particular computer you are having this issue with or is it all of them?

Glad you have it corrected, The speeds you mention are normal if both HD's are non- SSD or if one is a SSD and one isn't. If they are both  SSD then the speeds should be over 100 Mbps. I can get around 150 - 170 Mbps transferring large files between two computers both with SSD's.

Thanks for all the help.

Yea, one of the cables being bad made sense, it was a very old one.....but the one on my new system was fairly new and cat6....so not sure what happened there.

25 to 30 is ok.. speeds, maybe its your hdd -- do a simple iperf test or netio to know if your wire is the hold up.. When I say wire, the network aspect of it, driver, nic, etc.. don't actually mean the physical wire - even though sure that could cause you problems.

So from my storage server(mapped as y drive), cheap ass normal drives.. Served up off my VM on my n40l, with raw access to a 2tb drive, 2x750GB drives (old) stuff in a drive pool..

post-14624-0-75247700-1375664914.png

So you can see my wire is fine - over 900mbps, and got 81MBps doing a file copy

You can grab iperf here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/files/jperf/jperf%202.0.0/

Or use netio

http://www.ars.de/ars/ars.nsf/docs/netio

because what runing

iperf -s

on one box that is going to be your server

and then

iperf -c ipaddressofserver

is too difficult? ;) You need to wrap a gui around such complicated commands? ;)

BTW the version I linked too has a java front end, so it already has a gui on it if you really need that.

Here is direct link to the gui frontend for iperf

http://code.google.com/p/xjperf/

Ok the file you linked needs java, not willing to install java.

Where do I get the normal version?

*think I found it, but that command don't work....yes this is complicated and annoying to me...

So I found this program Lan Speed Test, which I know it's not testing the actual ability, but is testing the possible output.

Gigabit should be able to output around 700 to 800Mbps. When I run the test, I am getting 250Mbps....so something is definetly, off. But not sure.

What would iperf tell me? What are my options to try?

Are you saying iperf can tell me if there is another wire somewhere else having issues, or a setting needs to be changed?

That lanspeed thing is not free? Unless you used it to copy a file to a share?

If that software shows you the wire speed, vs including moving a file - which could be your disks or cpu, antivirus, etc.. slowing down the move. Then you don't really need iperf.

Grab the iperf.exe out of the zip. Copy to 1 box, another copy to other. Pick one box that will be server, other than will be client. Please the file in your path, c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 works

On server, run cmd. You wll now get a black box. if you put the iperf.exe in your path - then you can juts type the command iperf.

So on server

iperf -s

that will start the server, now on the client from same cmd prompt black box you got by running cmd

iperf -c ipadddressofservermachine

There you go it will do a test.. Yes there are some options you can play with, window size (I like to increase mine since default is very low), duration of test, display units, bidirectional testing, etc.. etc.. lets just get a basic test and see what you get.

BTW, here is test using the java frontend..

post-14624-0-02428000-1375708311.png

So why are you against running java?? There is a lot of stuff that requires java, I could not do my job without it that is for sure.. Keep it up to date, and don't let it run on its own without your permission and its quite safe.

When I did that, on the client side, it says "connect FAILED: Connection Timed Out"

To clarify, which address am I suppose to put...my IP address which is the internal one...as in 192.168.1.1....?

what is the ip address you ran it as server on??

192.168.?.?

That is the IP address you would put in when run as client

iperf -c 192.168.?.?

Are you running some firewall that would block it?

I turned off the Firewall, still same.

Not sure which address I am suppose to enter....when looking at ipconfig.....i have entered all addresses here, and I have tried addreses found at a site like whatsmyip etc...

So....yea....I know I am annoying.

Run ipconfig on server, should show you the internal IP address: 192.168.*.* or whatever. 

Enter this address on client machine. If it times out, are you able to ping it from the client?

So your running iperf on the server machine??

You see something like this running in a cmd prompt

C:\>iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)

and then what is the IP address of this machine you ran iperf and iperf is still running with the -s

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.41.45
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.41.1

So that 10.56.41.45 is my server machine, say my client machine is 10.56.41.102

So on the .102 machine I would then use

iperf -c 10.56.41.45

If you saying that iperf is running as server mode and your not able to connect to it, and you can ping that IP from your client machine.. Then this points to a software firewall/security application running on the server machine or even the client machine that is preventing access on the port iperf is trying to use.. By default 5001, do you run software firewall/security on server machine and or client machine?

Or there is a nat between you and your server machine.. Your 2 machines your trying to use are connect to lan ports on the same router - there are no other "routers" between either of the machines..  The wires go straight from their nics to the router lan port??  No other devices in the paths that might be doing nat?

hmm, I run Sabnzbd, Plex Media Server on the server computer. Can those interfere with this?

And yes, that is the exact thing I did, not able to connect but can ping just fine. No other router, both machines are on lan ports to the same router.

Anything that is already listening on the port it defaults to use 5001 could interfere.. I would think you would get some sort of binding error if something was already using that port though.

So your not running any firewall or security software on either machine that could block communication?

So do you get something like this in the error when you run the server side

C:\>iperf -s -p 3389

bind failed: Address already in use

Server listening on TCP port 3389

TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)

it looks like the software is running, but really its not.. Since something was already using that port I picked that was not its default port of 5001.

Do you have more than 1 connection this server, say a wireless that is running at same time where software might be listening on different address than what your trying to connect too.

So I looked it should listen on all addresses.. You can verify its listening in another cmd prompt window run the command you see - does it show your server machine listening on 5001

C:\Windows\System32>netstat -an | find ":5001"

TCP 0.0.0.0:5001 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING