Network Speeds Issue

No Firewall

I did those commands, ok....I typed in the first one, shows the same results as you, typed in the second one..same results as you....

so your server is listening on 5001

but your saying client can not contact it..

So that tells me there is firewall blocking it either at client or server.. Or your using the wrong IP for your server from the client.

When you say same as mine -- you mean you get this???

"bind failed: Address already in use"

edit: Tell you what - can you give me teamviewer access to both of these machines.. Your client and your "server"

This is not that complicated, at a loss to what your doing wrong.

So I changed both cables and it's now showing 1Gbps, and my transfer went to 25MB/s to 30MB/s....is that what I should be getting with a 7200RPM drive?

For your network and setup, It's infinitely better than 10-11MB/sec. I would just smile, blame the AV or weather and buy yourself a beer.

25 to 30 is not bad... But I would look to see why its not higher..

I am curious why he can not get something as simple as iperf to work to be honest, so speed of his gig is of secondary importance to me currently ;)

To be honest if I was force to go back to 25 or 30MBps when I am use to 90 - 50, it would be like watching paint dry.

So 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of your server where your running iperf -s?? that seems more like a router IP to me..

there is nothing to install to use TV btw, you can just run the EXE you don't have to install it

So try running the cmd prompt as administrator to see if it gets rid of that access denied error.

I am installing 8.1 as VM right now to see if I can duplicate the problem.

To run cmd and admin, just search for cmd, then right click and say run as administrator - then run your iperf commands in this cmd prompt box.

So lets see if your slow down is just a windows size error..

on server side run

iperf -s -w 256k

and client run

iperf -c ipaddress -w 256k

this should make a drastic increase in the speed reported if just a windows sizing issue. Did you see yours was default to 8k on the one side.

so you got 298 when you used large window of 256K

yeah that is not very good..

So lets call it 300, rough math /8 gives you 300Mbps/8 = 37.5MBps MAX!! No matter if your hard drives are capable of 500MBps second read and write.. your network is going to be slowing you down to 37.5MBps

Which your seeing 30 you might be happy with.. If not then we can look to see if we can get that up a bit higher.

What network cards are you using, what drivers?

My new system, Windows 8 is running the onboard LAN with the Asrock Z87E-ITX Motherboard.

The other system is running what is called "Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter" in the Device Manager, I have no idea what it was originally, it's fairly old.

Yes I want higher speeds, at least I don't want my GIGABIT network to be limiting me for some reason lol

Both default Windows Drivers, the latest updates for them. (the Intel one says no downloads available, only available through windows update, so I have the best option for it)

As I said, the manufacturer, said they are only available with Windows (as in Windows Update). So I have the latest.

Intel provide "baseline" drivers for their NICs, with the idea that OEMs provide their own updates, but that doesn't really happen in practise. I've always used the drivers directly from Intel and I've never had any issues.

The onboard NIC is (hopefully) from a good brand, every single onboard NIC I've had for more than half a decade has been an Intel one.

I didn't read the whole thread, but have you checked which category of cable you are using? Is it Cat 5 or Cat5e?

Cat5 is maximum 100mbps, Cat5e is maximum 1000mbps.

It's usually written right on the cable.

What where are you seeing that driver is only avail from microsoft?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Download&os=Win864

6/13/2013 Windows? 8 64bit

174.71MB Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0

As to intel -- you should be able to get the lastest driver here - just download and run for your os version

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006120.htm

I was referring to the Windows 7 system, and those intel pro/1000.

I downloaded the file you linked, even got to that screen myself. Ran the installer, goes through, at the end it says no intel adapter on this system.

Though device manager shows that lol? WTF

I try to do it manually with that file I downloaded, says I already have the best driver installed (though its from 2008 lol)

Found Intels check my system tool

Product Detected Intel® PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter Current Driver Installed 8.3.15.0 This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>

So basically, mine is too old, has the latest drivers. Anyway, I doubt this is limiting me.

You doubt that drivers can have a effect on performance?

So what do you believe is limiting you.. I am on crappy hardware, testing to a VM running on a cheap N40L hardware with other vms running ;) and I see 800+ Mbps on the wire.. Your not even seeing 300?

Have you tweaked or altered your tcp settings in anyway? Have enabled or disabled offloading on your nic? What does your cpu do while you test your network speed?

post-14624-0-48591300-1375793699.png

What are you global settings

C:\Windows\System32>netsh int tcp show global

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters

----------------------------------------------

Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled

Chimney Offload State : automatic

NetDMA State : enabled

Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled

Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal

Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none

ECN Capability : disabled

RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

BTW you sure you used the -w 256k window size setting? Can you post the output of the testing using the larger window? Maybe your just using a very small window which is why your speeds are low, possible your defaulting to 8K and then yeah its going to be results.

Just stumbled across this thread.  Never come across iperf before, just what I needed to test a few of the connections in the office.  Thanks ;)

I haven't changed any TCP/IP settings, not even sure where to do that, or what offloading is.. And so your saying, a driver can make that much of a difference? Anyway, I updated the one computer, its just the older one I can't do anything with.

I did just turn on Jumbo Frame and now I average 42MB/s, better but not 90.

And...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
Chimney Offload State               : disabled
NetDMA State                        : disabled
Direct Cache Access (DCA)           : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : none
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled
Initial RTO                         : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State    : disabled

Yes, I made sure I was using 256k.

There should be no need for jumbo -- I am not running them.. They don't make sense in a home setup.. Do all your devices support jumbo of the same size? If not there is going to be other issues talking to other devices that do not support jumbo, etc. etc.

Offloading is the ability to have some of the processing required be done on the card itself vs the computer cpu.. Seems you have it disable..

Enabling jumbo frames should help lower the header overhead, but that's it (And they're a good fit for a high quality link like a LAN, where you don't get many errors causing retransmission). You shouldn't have any issues talking to devices that don't do jumbo frames, but there's always edge cases (I once found Windows refused to talk SMB to any non-jumbo frame system after enabling it)

Sorry for the late reply.

So you explain offloading, but do I need it, and how do I turn it on?

Also, I suppose we are stuck at why I am only getting what I am getting? No other options?

Also, how do I know I am getting the best performance on my network?

As in, is there really any good tests, how do I know something is slow because of my connection, or it's just the website?

And what about WiFi, any tools to determine the best placement for the router/ how the antennas are places.