Network Speeds Issue

Yea, well I might not be able to get a cable till after September, need to save up all money for a trip :)

I will update and let you know.

What you can't spend a couple bucks?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020812&p_id=2158&seq=1&format=2

$6.11 for a 50 footer.

I think they have 20% off right now too. Code CAT20

I know they ship to CA

Small Package delivered by Canada Post Takes 7-14 business days plus 1 day processing time. Deliveries to Canada may take longer due to holds imposed by customs.

I don't think 10$ or so is going to make or break your trip ;)

You're right.

I remembered Monoprice being much more expensive for shipping to Canada, which is why I didn't look there.

$12.52 for 50FT is very good, but that is only cat5e, if I am going to buy cable I might as well buy cat6, which would be $14.38 to get.

Sorry but there is little reason for cat6 unless you like spending more money for no real reason.. That cat6 is not going to give you 900Mbps while the 5 or 5e only gives you 300Mbps ;)

With your logic - why don't you buy the Cat 7??

Then why is there cat6 and such? 

You don't think if you have to go buy new cables, you might as well get it? It's not that much more lol

Your the one saying you couldn't spend a few bucks because you needed to save money. The ? is -- is the difference between cat5e and 6 worth the added cost?

Gig is supported by 5 and 5e, spending extra dollars on cat 6 is not going to get you anything your going to notice in a home setup with a wire running along the floor. So its $ spent on what. Be it 1 dollar or 10, etc.

The reason cat6 cost more is that is has higher specs for crosstalk and system noise. But in your home setup, it is not going to make any difference. Now if you were going to want 10G, then hey yeah your going to need cat6. Better yet 6a

If you were going to be wiring your walls with cable - I might say that that few extra bucks might be worth it since hey maybe a few years from now 10G will be common in the home - and you will be using 10G? And you wouldn't want to have to rewire you walls.

But for a test cable or a cable your going to run along the floor -- no I personally don't see the need of spending any extra money on it, since cat 5e is more than enough to run gig.. Cat5 or 5e is easier to work with as well - the bend radius much tighter with 5,5e than 6.

But hey if you want to spend an extra couple of bucks for no reason - sure go ahead ;)

Quite possible that either 1 or both of his nics are just crap..

He could spend a few bucks and get some decent nics, but he has that trip to save for ;)

So for example, I have this popcorn A 110 little media box.. The thing rocks, plays whatever you throw at it -- love the thing.. When I first got it I had put a disk inside of it and stored files on it, it had some apps you could run on it if you had a disk inside, etc. You could telnet to it, etc..

Well it has a supposed 100mbit nic.. Thing is it could/can barely push 65mbit.. Just balls to the wall nothing but just simple iperf test and it can not even push 80 mbps. Is it the nic, is just the device itself designed more for playing video than pushing packets?

Well if all its doing is playing video, it really doesn't need 90+ mbit out of a 100 like every other 100mbit card out there.. You can watch 1080p over the wire with 65mbit just fine.. So as a media player its great, but putting a disk in it and using it as a nas.. not so much ;) So pulled the disk and just use it as a media player and its slow speed never becomes and issue.

Now if he wants to move files between his machines faster than paint dries then he will have to do something.. But if he is just surfing the net, watching movies off the other machine, etc.. 30MBps is quite fast..

My nephew was over the other day, had his laptop -- he wanted some video files of tv shows and movies he had not seen.. Most of moved 60 some GB to his laptop.. Well sure and the hell was not going to move that amount of stuff via wireless, plugged him in and was getting 80MBps plus while starting the copies down to 60MBps seemed to be about lowest it went never the very end of a folder -- I know 1 folder was 17GB.. only took a couple of minutes..

Now does it really matter if it takes 2 minutes or 10 minutes to copy something.. Its up to him..