Can't access private folder on NAS with XP

Hello...

I have a NAS Lacie N2870 and 3 computers, one with Vista can access the Folders MyShare and OpenShare, but the two with Windows XP can access the OpenShare Folder but can't access the MyShare because when I'm gonna open it, it asks for authentication, I enter it (just like in the Vista machine) but it says that I can't access the Folder.

I did change the username and password but the result is the same, the Vista machine can access everything but the two other (XP) can't access the MyShare.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

pedro miguel

For one thing if you opened up the openshare - what account did you auth with, guest.. And then your trying to auth to myshare as an account.

You can only be authed as 1 user.. If you already have a session to the sharing machine as user X, you can not come in as user Y to access a different share.

Auth to the NAS from your xp machine with the account that has permissions to myshare from the get go.

I didn't install the NAS, it was some other person, I did change the two accounts on the NAS, Admin and User, with new passwords. When I enter OpenShare he doesn't ask for authentication, only in MyShare folder. I tried to Auth with both accounts with no success (in XP), what's strange that the same process in Vista works with no problems.

The interface in the NAS is pretty simple, I just have the option to change the Username and Password, there are no more options.

"I tried to Auth with both accounts with no success (in XP"

What part do you not understand about can only be authed with 1 account to share on the same system??

If XP can not auth, then maybe it does not understand the auth method.  Are you using NTLMv2, NTLM or Lanman - if xp can not auth but vista can then its quite possible your using ntmlv2 vs ntlm or lanman to auth.

What is your NAS using for auth?? LM, NTLM version 1, NTLMv1 with NTLMv2 session security, NTLMv2 ?  What is your vista set to use, default - what is XP set to use.  Are you using LDAP or Active Directory?

And again it could just be that xp is sending guest or anonymous to auth against the openshare you have mapped or are connecting to first and opening a session with.  And then once you have that session open, you can not auth as another user.

You should always make sure you auth with the account you want to use for the highest security you might want to need access too.  If you auth with user X, and then you want to auth as user Y.. You need to disconnect your session before you can auth as a different user.

OK, but how can I disconnect the session before using a different user? I did a restart in every machine (including router, nas, etc), changed users, but to no avail.

Thanks for the help BudMan.

PS: When I wrote that I tried to auth with both accounts, what I did was when I try to enter MyShare he ask for an auth, and then I tried with Admin and User with the same result.

I would have to grab this manual of the nas your using to figure out what auth its setup for lm, ntml, ntlmv2, etc.  You can look at group policy in xp to see what its using lm, ntml, ntlmv2

look in "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" setting under gpedit what are you set for in xp?

Sorry for the long reply but finally they decided that since they are going to upgrade do Win7 (or 8) it doesn't matter and the problem probably will be fixed.

Thanks for all the help.