Posted

Kid should learn how to spell.

11 people like this

Posted

boo hoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ

2 people like this

Posted

What is he complaining about exactly? Even if he didn't misspelled the answer, he would have been still far behind the winner. And after all, he did take 2k back home with him :huh:

5 people like this

Posted

Kid should learn how to spell.

so he had 1 extra letter in the word, big freakin deal

i'd like to see you spell random big words that are hardly ever used correctly on the spot.

they should have cut the kid a break, seriously

Posted

Thomas Hurley III, sounds like your typical spoilt brat....There`s no way he would of won, probably going to be a book followed by a motion picture about it all now :p

1 person likes this

Posted

i'd like to see you spell random big words that are hardly ever used correctly on the spot.

Big deal? I guess we should just throw out dictionaries altogether, because spelling is not a big deal.  

6 people like this

Posted

The problem is that contestants in the past have gotten their answers judged as correct when they had spelling mistakes.

They need to either make a discreet rule that says spelling mistakes will be automatically marked as incorrect, or give leniency.

Plus this is a middle school kid. so give him some slack.  Obviously his answer was correct, regardless of the simple spelling mistake. Had he given the answer verbally, he would been rewarded for the correct answer.

3 people like this

Posted

No, he should not have won; unless Jeopardy now changes the rules so that misspellings do not count.  Good time for this kid to learn about rules.

Posted

No. Correct spelling is essential. There is no reason for the guy to throw a tantrum - he misspelt the word, he lost. It's that simple. Whether he is just a high school student or not doesn't matter either.

4 people like this

Posted

No. Correct spelling is essential. There is no reason for the guy to throw a tantrum - he misspelt the word, he lost. It's that simple. Whether he is just a high school student or not doesn't matter either.

That's bull, there have been responses in regular jeopardy where you couldn't even make out the chicken scratch and the spelling was horrible, but the answer was correct and those people would still be credited with the correct answer.

2 people like this

Posted

The problem is that contestants in the past have gotten their answers judged as correct when they had spelling mistakes.

They need to either make a discreet rule that says spelling mistakes will be automatically marked as incorrect, or give leniency.

Plus this is a middle school kid. so give him some slack.  Obviously his answer was correct, regardless of the simple spelling mistake. Had he given the answer verbally, he would been rewarded for the correct answer.

This. I'm the biggest 'grammar Nazi' I know, but I still feel this wasn't fair.

Posted

Exactly. He sounds like a big whiny baby to me.

3 people like this

Posted

cute kid

Posted

Emancipation is hardly a large word. I don't hear people say it all that often, but people seem to use it correctly most of the time. Don't see how usage correlates to ease of spelling.

Posted

If he was smart enough to get on Jeopardy to begin with, presumably he knew how to spell.

Posted

Bet he'll spell it right next time.

3 people like this

Posted

He would have lost anyway so why does it matter? What a crybaby.

2 people like this

Posted

He would have lost anyway so why does it matter? What a crybaby.

Because he lost $3000 over it. And given that the episode was filmed in February, and only aired now, and gained attention now, shows that it's not the boy who is the crybaby, but the news media which is choosing to make it a story.

1 person likes this

Posted

Because he lost $3000 over it. And given that the episode was filmed in February, and only aired now, and gained attention now, shows that it's not the boy who is the crybaby, but the news media which is choosing to make it a story.

Perhaps that's the real problem. Shouldn't the media be focusing on things that actually matter?  :)

Posted

Emancipation is hardly a large word. I don't hear people say it all that often, but people seem to use it correctly most of the time. Don't see how usage correlates to ease of spelling.

looking from a middle schooler's perspective I'd say it's a fairly lager word

Posted

i hate to say it but i am on Jeopardy's side on this one. the if you spell the word wrong it cannot be the right answer.

2 people like this

Posted

Because he lost $3000 over it. 

Second place gets $2000 no matter how much they have at the end; he didn't lose anything.

Posted

Life isnt fair kid, get used to it...

1 person likes this