Disabled Australian starts petition to kill CAPTCHA

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:33

I'd like to see them done away with too but I doubt we'll see anything happen.

#17 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,903 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:55

other 'good captcha' that i know, is not about typing annoying words,

but present a simple flash game that can be solved under less than 10 seconds using commonly known basic knowledge.

Thats however are doesn't fit with the disabled ...

#18 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

• 9,830 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:04

I prefer a simple math than an annoying captcha.

#19 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,492 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:07

When a captcha is used it's to try to stop bots filling forms but it usually succeeds in stopping human users filling forms too. They're not easy to use and provide a road block to a lot of people. Bad Design and Dev 101 there. As mentioned some people find them basically impossible to get past easily.

This is why they should be removed from usage.

You can use a variety of techniques that are a lot more transparent or totally invisible to the user to try to detect bots. The common honeypot field or even measuring the time taken to complete a given form. Often a human isn't going to fill out a form in a second (auto-filling aside) but a bot can.

If Google were to simply drop reCAPTCHA, the number of fake and compromised accounts would skyrocket. Of course it's not perfect, but what is? That's no reason to abandon the system altogether.

Simple protections like you suggested will stop simple bots crawling the web, but it will do nothing to stop any individual or group who directly targets your website (which happens even to small websites). Heck, even images with distorted characters aren't too difficult to bypass using a variety of techniques to "undistort" the image and ever improving OCR software.

However, I have to admit, the audio captchas are really bad. I just tried a few and I didn't get a single one correct.

#20 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,410 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:36

I have used one on my sites which were sliders - similar to slide to unlock.

http://demos.myjquer...ns.com/qaptcha/

I didn't use that one, but another one for the Joomla sites I used to make.  It dramatically dropped the spambots to zero and humans to 100% which used it.  Even got comments of how easy it was to use.    I think we need things like this to be effective, or alternative methods of authentication that you aren't a spammer. 

With that said - for every lock there is a key and for every lock there is a lock pick that can defeat it easily.  So, it will always be a cat/mouse game against technology which can manipulate the sliders (I remember hearing that was possible already - not sure), but it would be a start to find a different method of spam bot prevention. 

#21 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,922 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:40

If Google were to simply drop reCAPTCHA, the number of fake and compromised accounts would skyrocket. Of course it's not perfect, but what is? That's no reason to abandon the system altogether.

Simple protections like you suggested will stop simple bots crawling the web, but it will do nothing to stop any individual or group who directly targets your website (which happens even to small websites). Heck, even images with distorted characters aren't too difficult to bypass using a variety of techniques to "undistort" the image and ever improving OCR software.

However, I have to admit, the audio captchas are really bad. I just tried a few and I didn't get a single one correct.

Which is why there are methods like PIN codes or verification by email. If an account isn't verified in a given time period just purge it.

Of course no system is perfect. My point is captcha systems are generally crap from a user perspective and efforts should be taken to eliminate their usage.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,426 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:12

other 'good captcha' that i know, is not about typing annoying words,
but present a simple flash game that can be solved under less than 10 seconds using commonly known basic knowledge.
Thats however are doesn't fit with the disabled ...

Of course anything flash is completely inaccessible a lot of disabled.