Russian Distributor Halts Sales of Company of Heroes 2 After Consumer Compl

Russian distributor 1C-SoftClub was forced to halt sales of the WWII real-time strategy game Company of Heroes 2 after consumers complained about the portrayal of Russian forces in the game. After numerous player complaints about Russian forces being portrayed as having a ruthless leadership and taking liberties with history, the distributor decided to stop shipping the game to retailers, and reached out to publisher Sega. Sega said that it was looking into these concerns.

"Sega and Relic are aware of the press stories circulating concerning Company of Heroes 2 and the historical context of the game from a Russian perspective," reads a line from the statement. "At this time we cannot offer any further comment, however we are taking this issue very seriously and are investigating these concerns thoroughly with all relevant partners."

At issue is how Company of Heroes 2 portrays the commander of Russian forces as ruthless; ordering men to fight or be shot, or that some men fought without having proper weapons or supplies. Many angry consumers have reviewed the game on Metacritic and other places, calling it outright propaganda and dishonorable to the memory of those who fought against the Nazis during WWII.

Change.org petition has also been launched asking Valve Software to effectively ban the game in CIS countries. It has 17,158 supporters already.

Source: GameSpot

I think Order No. 227 is prominent in that game. If it was part of my military history I wouldn't want it on show for all to see either.

I thin Spec OPs: The Line was banned in UAE.

I think Iran usually bans Western shooters. They double-banned BF3.