Hey guys and girls,
I had purchased Lumia 520 as a back up phone on Launch day as I was fascinated by WP8 and the price was perfect. Rs. 9500 (~$150) sim free.
5 days ago, an unexpected thing happened. My Galaxy Note 2 died. Took it to local service center and they said that it's logic board has fried. So replacement of that part will take 15 days. I miss Apple service where they replace the phone on the spot. Anyway, I have stopped using iPhone due to small screen.
Till now, I ignored the 520 because it gets horribly overshadowed by Galaxy Note 2. But being forced to use 520, I can have a direct comparison with iOS and Android. Unfortunately I have some negative things to say. WP8 just doesn't hit the right notes with me.
1. Smooth animations. (Wow they are great. But they do slightly get in my way at times.)
2. The tiles are great to look at. I prefer them over the battery hogging widgets of Android.
3. Ringtones and Notification and sounds throughout are very nicely done and are soothing but at the same time perky. Better than iOS.
4. The UI is very easy on eyes due to dark theme and I can choose white one too.
Now the negatives: (They completely overshadow all the above positives.) Please suggest me some workarounds wherever possible.
1. No scroll bar in default music player. I hate pressing back and forward buttons to scroll to desired position. No album art in lockscreen?
2. Huge one: Earphone sound is linked to external speaker sound. I had ringtone sound level at full 30/30 and for the first time I plugged in my earphones and played a tune. The earphones were running at same 30/30 volume to my horror. I thank my stars that the tune I played was slow at start otherwise I may have had a serious ear problem. Android and iOS have separate volumes for earphones and ringtones. Microsoft needs to fix this. I have to remember to reduce the volume every ime I play music. Sucks
3. Whenever I click on notifications, it takes me into the app and spends good 5 seconds showing me that it's resuming that app. Very annoying. Maybe processor in 520 is causing it.
4. Nokia maps for Mumbai, suck. I have not found a way to install or use default bing maps. (can anyone help me here?) Even bing maps suck as India is not a priority.
5. The settings page is one big mess with entries chucked. They neither follow any arrangement logic nor they are arranged alphabetically. Categories like Android or iOS should have been better.
So overall I see hints of an arrogant attitude by the makers of this OS. The exact same attitude is flowing through Windows 8. I honestly don't know what to say. But I am sure I cannot get accustomed to the OS because of the reasons mentioned.
I thank you for taking the time to read.