Access Database Help!

Question

Hi All,

I need some Access Database development help. I am creating a database for hospital patients and I have it almost done. I accidently created a Last Name, First Name, and MRN (medical record number) using a combo box instead of a simple text box. Now, I want to change it, but Access won't let me because it says that there is a relationship that the Last Name box has to the other tables. I went and removed the relationship and I still get the error. I am stuck........

Can anyone help me? I will be happy to upload the database (no entries in it) for you to look at and make corrections to the relationships as needed. I would be truly thankful if someone could assist me with this problem. I really do not want to make the database all over again if I can help it.... The file is 2.5 MB.

Here is a screenie!

post-34335-0-86975700-1375877832.png

Please post or PM me if you can help. This is a hugely important project for our group.

Thanks in adavance!

8 answers to this question

Not have ANY knowledge of access, but have you tried deleting the box and recreating using another name and then use relation.  I'm not sure when you said that you removed the relationship between Last name and others boxes, did you went and checked every box to see if there's any leftover relations with the Last name Box.

Not have ANY knowledge of access, but have you tried deleting the box and recreating using another name and then use relation.  I'm not sure when you said that you removed the relationship between Last name and others boxes, did you went and checked every box to see if there's any leftover relations with the Last name Box.

I deleted the combo box and created a List box. When I tried to save the change, Access said that it couldn't do it because of the relationships created with Last Name. I deleted the relationships, but the error remains. I will look at it again. This is quite strange....

You can't open the form in design view and delete the combo box and then add a new text box? 

Nope. That is the first thing that I tried. It says that the Last Name combo box has some relationships that will not allow it to be changed. I go to the relationships window, delete the relationships and try again, but no-go.....Access can be soooo tricky!

Thanks everyone for your responses. Access is used in our hospital, so I had to create a project with that. I got one of our members to fix it for me. The relationships between tables needed to be altered. It works fine now! Access can be confusing when linking tabes (fields). Now I am all set. Thanks everyone!