John Carmack has not left id Software for Oculus

John Carmack has left id Software for Oculus

John Carmach has left id Software to join Oculus VR. The company is known for its popular Rift brand of VR headsets.

A statement from the company confirmed that Carmack is now Oculus VR?s new chief technology officer, and reads, ?John is one of the brightest minds of our generation ? pioneer, visionary, and industry legend. There are very few people in the world that can contribute to the Oculus Rift and the future of virtual reality like John can.?

Oculus is opening a new studio in Dallas that Carmack will head up, and it is currently seeking new talent.

In a statement, id Software co-founder Carmack said, ?I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming ? the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmer?s early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there.

?Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message.

?It?s certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don?t even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. It?s going to be awesome.?

Carmack has expressed a great deal of public interest in Oculus Rift since he announced it would be compatible with Doom 3: BFG Edition last year. Last August we reported that Doom 4 will also use the device.

id Software was founded by John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall, and Adrian Carmack. It is best known for its work on Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake, as well as recent shooter Rage.

As discussed in the superb book on id?s history ?Masters of Doom? ? seriously, read it ? it was always Carmack?s desire to make the Holodek concept from Star Trek a reality through games. In Oculus Rift, he?ll get one step closer to that dream.

At the time of writing id Software is working on Doom 4, but the company can?t talk about it right now.

Source: vg247

This feels weird. I played Doom and Quake as a teenager. Carmack was a synonym of gaming and advanced 3d engines. Him not working on iD anymore... feels weird.

• Like 1

I'm shocked... But at the same time, I'm not that shocked.

Carmack is a true GEEK all the way.  And this will be a new itch for him to scratch.

Enjoy it John. 

May the results be beneficial to all...

Definitely interesting.  Having someone that has lead many advances in the gaming industry heading VR designed with games in mind could really push this.   Hopefully with the big names involved, it will help get this out sooner too.

• 2 weeks later...

when was the last time he made a game anyone cared about :/

does not matter, his impact on computer gaming was so huge, he will be relevant for a long time, and remembered until the people who grew up playing doom will be too old to remember.

seriously, his name was embedded in peoples brain. DOOM was kinda a big deal ;)

His impact on computer gaming was huge, 20!!!! Years ago.

20 years ago...

The majority of oculus users won't know what the first doom was, they only know oaths doom 3 game which while not terrible, wasn't very good, wasn't in any way revolutionary, had little to do with doom and so on.

For the majority of today's gamers, they have no recollection of anything revolutionary head done,for the slightly older, theyonlystarted memorable thing he did was when he want on a rant against his own fans because they would rather play unreal tournament than quake at some point cause quake didn't do anything new and was getting old just doing the same old thing.

Sure he contributed 20 years ago, then he hasn't been able to do anything since then, why does that mean he has anything to contribute today ? Other than his name, for those over 30 gamers.

Are you actually suggesting John Carmack doesn't contribute to the business? :laugh:

in what way ? 

what's your point there ? are you even paying attention to the discussion ? 

again, what has Carmack/id brought to the gamer in the last 20 years after doom that was in any way revolutionary ? 

in what way ? 

again, what has Carmack/id brought to the gamer in the last 20 years after doom that was in any way revolutionary ? 

I think you are just trying to start a war of words because you feel carmack has not done much or you just dont enjoy ID games, i suggest you look at his bio. Your response would be more believeable if you said ~10 years but, 20 years lets see: Doom, Quake, RTCW, Hexen, Rage, not to mention the game engines hes responsible for and the games that use his engines/ideas. I think you are really underestimating how much he has done for the gaming community, did you know he releases his source code for most projects to try and get the open source community to use those ideas and technologies? Id say hes done quite a lot for the gaming community.

1996 - Named among the most influential people in computer gaming of the year and of all time #1 and #2 in GameSpots lists

1997 - Named among the most influential people of all time #7 in Computer Gaming World list, for game design

1999 - Named among the 50 most influential people in technology #10 in Time's list.

2001-03 - Award for community contribution for the Quake 3 engine Used in 12 games. Bestowed at 2001 Game Developer's Conference Award Ceremony.

2001-03-22 - Inducted into Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame The fourth person to be inducted, an honor bestowed upon those who have made revolutionary and innovative achievements in the video and computer game industry.

2002 - Named to the MIT Technology Review TR100 Included as one of the top 100 innovators in the world under the age of 35.

I think its safe to say over 20 years he has done some revolutionary things.

• Like 2

Well I would bring up id Tech 5 but I'm betting you just have the perfect rant to reply with how it's a PoS or irrelevant :rolleyes:

I think you are just trying to start a war of words because you feel carmack has not done much or you just dont enjoy ID games, i suggest you look at his bio. Your response would be more believeable if you said ~10 years but, 20 years lets see: Doom, Quake, RTCW, Hexen, Rage, not to mention the game engines hes responsible for and the games that use his engines/ideas. I think you are really underestimating how much he has done for the gaming community, did you know he releases his source code for most projects to try and get the open source community to use those ideas and technologies? Id say hes done quite a lot for the gaming community.

QFT

• Like 1

in what way ? 

A stable, efficient and fast IP Stack and protocol for true online multiplayer experience.

The first truly 3d modular engine that even to this day bits of it's code are used.

The first big game company that gave Linux a chance thanks to his extremely flexible and portable code.

Rendering methods that once were used as the industry standard for gaming and benchmarking.

Just to name a few.

• Like 3

1996 - Named among the most influential people in computer gaming of the year and of all time #1 and #2 in GameSpots lists

1997 - Named among the most influential people of all time #7 in Computer Gaming World list, for game design

1999 - Named among the 50 most influential people in technology #10 in Time's list.

2001-03 - Award for community contribution for the Quake 3 engine Used in 12 games. Bestowed at 2001 Game Developer's Conference Award Ceremony.

2001-03-22 - Inducted into Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame The fourth person to be inducted, an honor bestowed upon those who have made revolutionary and innovative achievements in the video and computer game industry.

2002 - Named to the MIT Technology Review TR100 Included as one of the top 100 innovators in the world under the age of 35.

I think its safe to say over 20 years he has done some revolutionary things.

Doom was 1993, RTCW was before that. that would make it 20 years ago.

while the Quake games, at least the first ones where good games, they where not in any way revolutionary, merely more of th same and at best evolutionary. 

the point was that the last time he actually contributed in any revolutionary matter was 20 years ago. There are countless other game devs today who has had far newer revolutionary games in recent times and who are actually trying to contribute to the games and not just trying to redo what they did 20 years ago to get back what they couldn't hold onto.

Yes he made some great games, I had some Awesome times with Quake and Quake 2 back in the days and had lots of coax network fun with doom before that. but face it, that was a long time ago.  What he did then doesn't mean he will bring anything to Oculus rift. other than his name to us over 30 gamers. And most of us know that our best times with Carmack was 15-20 years ago. 

Well I would bring up id Tech 5 but I'm betting you just have the perfect rant to reply with how it's a PoS or irrelevant :rolleyes:

QFT

And outside of the megatexture that didn't work at all as he'd hope, what did id tech5 bring ? it's a game engine that wasn't by any means a bad engine, it just wasn't better than the alternative either and thus has not been licensed nearly as much as it's competitors. 

And Carmack didn't make tech 5. a team of many many engineers did, he's mostly just management nowadays. 

Doom was 1993, RTCW was before that. that would make it 20 years ago.

while the Quake games, at least the first ones where good games, they where not in any way revolutionary, merely more of th same and at best evolutionary. 

the point was that the last time he actually contributed in any revolutionary matter was 20 years ago. There are countless other game devs today who has had far newer revolutionary games in recent times and who are actually trying to contribute to the games and not just trying to redo what they did 20 years ago to get back what they couldn't hold onto.

Yes he made some great games, I had some Awesome times with Quake and Quake 2 back in the days and had lots of coax network fun with doom before that. but face it, that was a long time ago.  What he did then doesn't mean he will bring anything to Oculus rift. other than his name to us over 30 gamers. And most of us know that our best times with Carmack was 15-20 years ago. 

Doom was 93, RTCW 2001. Again you are just nitpicking but 20 years is an exaggeration, I think you are just blinded by your bias for disliking anything ID it seems, oh well your loss not mine.

I guess im not "most of us" becuase i enjoyed Doom 3, which was much less than 20 years ago and at the time the new engine was revolutionary and was often used as a benchmark for extreme systems. Heck it even had a long going battle against the Source engine, which was its main competition. I think you are just holding onto your original thought which a few of us debunked, but you seem a little too stubborn to admit it.

Carmack has been heavily into the Linux scene and releasing source of his most precious technologies/games to the public that in itself is revolutionary as no other major devs have given linux a thought, other than now Valve... long after Carmack.

And outside of the megatexture that didn't work at all as he'd hope, what did id tech5 bring ? it's a game engine that wasn't by any means a bad engine, it just wasn't better than the alternative either and thus has not been licensed nearly as much as it's competitors. 

And Carmack didn't make tech 5. a team of many many engineers did, he's mostly just management nowadays. 

It hasn't been licensed since it's not available for licensing outside of Zenimax. Stop posting FUD.

If you think Carmack would be content being "just management" you obviously know nothing about him, nor have you ever watched one of his Quakecon keynotes.

• Like 2

Did I say Carmack was the only guy behind id tech 5?

It hasn't been licensed since it's not available for licensing outside of Zenimax. Stop posting FUD.

If you think Carmack would be content being "just management" you obviously nothing about him, nor have you ever watched one of his Quakecon keynotes.

:yes:

Doom was 93, RTCW 2001. Again you are just nitpicking but 20 years is an exaggeration, I think you are just blinded by your bias for disliking anything ID it seems, oh well your loss not mine.

I guess im not "most of us" becuase i enjoyed Doom 3, which was much less than 20 years ago and at the time the new engine was revolutionary and was often used as a benchmark for extreme systems. Heck it even had a long going battle against the Source engine, which was its main competition. I think you are just holding onto your original thought which a few of us debunked, but you seem a little too stubborn to admit it.

Carmack has been heavily into the Linux scene and releasing source of his most precious technologies/games to the public that in itself is revolutionary as no other major devs have given linux a thought, other than now Valve... long after Carmack.

Carmack/id didn't make RTCW anyway, they "oversaw" production. basically they merely made sure it still looked like wolfenstein. 

I enjoyed Doom 3 as well, not enough to finish it as I recall. But none of that makes Doom 3 revolutionary game. The engine was just a basic graphics evolution over the last gen, there wasn't really anything revolutionary about the engine. 

Not sure what you guys think you've debunked so far all you've done is throw out the name of a game that wasn't made by carmack or even id, mention a game engine that wasn't really revolutionary for a game that wasn't really revolutionary. The only thing the doom 3 engine brought to gaming was the fight between the Doom engine always being fit for dark caves and corridors while the unreal engine could only do brown outdoors. yay.

And what does him being heavily into the linux scene have to do with anything ? 

Did I say Carmack was the only guy behind id tech 5?

I'm still waiting for you to explain what was so great about tech 5 besides the failed megatexture ?