Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
game_over

uk Virgin Media or Sky?

4 posts in this topic

I've always been a VM customer simply because they provided the best broadband, currently paying ?55.99/month for the XL TV package, 60MB broadband and phone line... a friend of ours got a job at Sky and gave us a 50% discount code for Sky's E+ TV package.. meaning we can get the package, sky+ HD box, free installation etc.. for ?15/month.

I'm on the verge of switching but have a couple of queries before i do,

I have a Tivo box and seen lots of posts saying it's far superior to a S+HD box, has anyone who has switched got any views on this? I don't think i take advantage of the tivo anyway i find it's interface incredibly slow.. 

And has anyone switched to the Sky Fibre broadband? views? I've always been die hard VM when it comes to broadband but can save even more money if i switched over to sky completely...

I know it's a subjective post, i just dont want to get sky in and then have it feel like a downgrade, from what i've read it's got better hd picture, more channels, but no on-demand for the basic channels (one, two, itv, c4).

I may end up cancelling the phone all together, using VM BB and Sky tv..

The tivo is, by a long way.

I used to have sky+ hd and virgin phone and broadband, for me the best of both worlds.

Having said that, I do not like tivo, It changed the channel when I turn it off back to the hdmi channel it was plugged into. (But then, so did the sky)

I've gone back to the older v+ hd box which doesn't do things unexpectedly.

I do think the tivo is better than the sky because with sky I also didn't get the music on demand and a few others. Also with v+ I can record from 2 different channels while still being able to watch, pause and rewind a third. (tivo records 3 and lets you watch a 4th I believe)

There was one or two other issues I had with sky, but right now I cannot remember what they were.

If it's all or nothing, go full virgin media. If you're flexible with what goes out money wise. Get the basic virgin phone and broadband only ?10-?20 a month and get the sky, it should save you some money.

Also, beware of these special offers from any provider, they're usually short term offers in exchange for a long term contract. But you probably already knew that :)

(I mean that with no sarcasm)

Your internet package is likely at the bundle price by the way, you may get stung if you remove the TV package. Sky have a similar underhanded practice.