• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,089 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:07

I don't get what his issue with his paycheck was, he was a retail employee from the sounds of it and made $15 an hour. If he didn't think he was making enough he could of asked for a raise, found another sales position quite easily if he's as good as he thinks or gone to a different type of job that pays more. 

He was the top salesman for the company in the United States and he clearly felt he wasn't being adequately compensated. The company should have been taken care of, even groomed for more senior sales roles - instead he was discarded like a piece of rancid meat. It's disgusting the way that American corporations treat their employees.

#17 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,137 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:17

He was the top salesman for the company in the United States and he clearly felt he wasn't being adequately compensated. The company should have been taken care of, even groomed for more senior sales roles - instead he was discarded like a piece of rancid meat. It's disgusting the way that American corporations treat their employees.

"I was happy with my job, [the photo] had nothing to do with how much money I was making," Groom said.

Maybe he should have at least approached his employer and discussed the situation instead of violating company rules.  And just maybe, they would have considered a promotion and/or an increase in compensation.

#18 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,666 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:22

Freedom of speech doesn't apply now a day.

Freedom of Speech never applied to private agreements between persons or entities. His employment contract had a confidentiality clause regarding discussing compensation and he violated it.

My previous job had the same thing. We were told on day one that discussing our salary with other employees was grounds for termination. This has nothing to do with "freedom of speech."

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,089 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:41

Maybe he should have at least approached his employer and discussed the situation instead of violating company rules.  And just maybe, they would have considered a promotion and/or an increase in compensation.

Companies can choose which rules they wish to enforce and what they're willing to overlook. In this case the company decided to treat him like dirt despite all he had done for the company. I simply don't have any respect for a business that conducts itself in such a way.

#20 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:52

I thought everyone knew that paychecks were confidential. That's the first thing we tell all new employees. Discussing pay can get you fired in a hurry.

Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act says 'Hi!' You cannot fire employees for discussing their pay outside of work hours. Company policies and employment contracts for regular employees that stipulate non-disclosure/non-discussion of pay are very much illegal.

#21 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,785 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:40

Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act says 'Hi!' You cannot fire employees for discussing their pay outside of work hours. Company policies and employment contracts for regular employees that stipulate non-disclosure/non-discussion of pay are very much illegal.

It doesn't say that actually...

That being said I don't think the guy should have been fired over this.

#22 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,902 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:45

$1500 a week is good. He needs to stop blowing all his income on DLC.

#23 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,052 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:46

1500 a week? wow, in my country that would be considered a top level income for most people. More like higher up management. 

#24 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,605 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:53

He was the top seller for the company in America, made $900 a week in commission and they fired him for that? I smell a rat.

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,994 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:59

“A stern warning would have been more appropriate.”

I do tend to agree.

Companies may like them to be confidential but if someone wants to make known their pay, its up to them.

Companies can deem them confidential.  If someone discusses it that is 100% their call, but they can be disciplined.

#26 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,584 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 19:34

I'm impressed with the $900.00 he makes at 3% commission... man must be a go getter...

Cody.

Either that, or the clothes there are REALLY expensive, like $50 for a t-shirt, or $200 for a pair of "aged" jeans....

#27 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 21:34

It doesn't say that actually...

That being said I don't think the guy should have been fired over this.

Multiple court rulings have already said it does.

#28 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,860 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 21:52

i think in NY it'd be more like $75 for a lacoste top $100-150  for a par of jeans, $60-120 for a pair of trainers etc so if theres alot of rich people around then you could earn that much i reckon

#29 ZeroFearX

ZeroFearX

Neowinian

• 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 21:53

I thought everyone knew that paychecks were confidential. That's the first thing we tell all new employees. Discussing pay can get you fired in a hurry.

In Canada it is your right to discuss your pay with other people. I am surprised that it is not the same in the states.

I'm no lawyer but this is my understanding of the local law.

#30 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,092 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 23:23

^ It may be a 'right' to talk about your pay, but it is not wise. ;)