20 Little Changes for a Healthier Life

*Eating one serving of fish per week can halve your risk of a sudden fatal heart attack. The secret ingredient in fish is omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon is especially high in them.

*Dry-Brush Your Teeth

It cuts tartar by 60 percent and also reduces the risk of bleeding gums by half. Use a dry, soft brush to scrub the insides of your top and bottom teeth, then buff the outer surfaces. Rinse, spit, and brush briefly with toothpaste.

*A survey of more than 2,000 people who lost an average of 67 pounds and kept the weight off for more than 5 years found that 78 percent ate breakfast 7 days a week.

*Eat More Pasta

Two to four servings of tomato sauce a week can cut your prostate-cancer risk by 34 percent.

*Judge Cholesterol with Contact Lenses

A diet full of fat, protein, or alcohol weakens your tears' ability to block cholesterol from adhering to the lenses. This results in cloudy deposits. If your diet is destroying your contacts, just imagine what it's doing to your arteries.

*A 14-year study found that men whose diets were highest in fruits and vegetables had a 70 percent lower risk of digestive-tract cancers. How to reach your quota: Never eat a meal that doesn't contain a vegetable or fruit. And no, fries don't count.

*Blueberries contain compounds that improve circulation, and they're loaded with artery-scrubbing soluble fiber. Eat your berries fresh or in a smoothie three times a week.

*To reduce your risk of cancer, drink red wine from Chile. Chilean cabernet sauvignon is 38 percent higher than French wine in flavonols, which are antioxidants that plunder cancer-causing free radicals.

*Men who do volunteer work at least once a week have half the death rate of those who don't.

*Seventy-five percent of all lower-back problems can be prevented by building your abdominal muscles. Aim for a dozen crunches every day.

*Order Thin-Crust Pizza

It has a third fewer calories than thick-crust pie. Blot the cheese with a napkin to cut even more fat.

*Skip That Second Cup

The caffeine in 2 cups of coffee adds 16 beats per minute to your heart rate.

*An unhappy marriage increases your chance of getting sick by 35 percent and shortens your life expectancy by 4 years.

*Exercising for 40 minutes can reduce stress. In fact, studies show that working out on a regular basis can be as effective as taking antidepressants like Prozac.

*Cherries and cherry juice are concentrated sources of melatonin, a popular over-the-counter sleep aid.

*Put a Shoe on Your Pillow

It'll determine whether your pillow supports your head and neck adequately. Fold the pillow in half and put a shoe on top; if the pillow springs back, it's okay.

*"Kur" Your Fatigue

If you wake unusually early, dampen a towel with cool water and lightly wipe your arms, legs, and torso, then go back to bed. The body is very warm when it comes out of REM sleep. Back in bed, the body heats up even more. The result is a deep, restful sleep and more dreams. Called kur, this technique is standard at European spas.

*Raise Your Rearview

To prevent slouching (and the resultant lower-back pain) on long drives, tilt your rearview mirror up a bit. That way, you'll have to sit up to see the cars behind.

*Take Vitamin E and Aspirin Daily

Researchers have found that this antioxidant-and-blood-thinner combination can reduce arterial plaque by 80 percent. The benefit of the two treatments together is so great that it may help men prevent atherosclerosis even if they can't lower their cholesterol levels.

*Have a Banana

The potassium it contains can lower blood pressure. One per day is all it takes.

source

eat more pasta? pasta is high in egg, complex carbs and fat... its good for a person who has trouble having more then 1 or 2 meals a week .. but eating more pasta is not a good idea it can cause higher cholesterol and EXTREME weight gain ... I would not eat pasta unless you plan on burning it later...you would need to increase your activity to burn this.

though I may try this teeth brushing thing out... I cant see who wrote this cause half of this is crap...scratch tht found him... him..

Bachelor of ArtsEnglish... yea...no

eat more pasta? pasta is high in egg, complex carbs and fat... its good for a person who has trouble having more then 1 or 2 meals a week .. but eating more pasta is not a good idea it can cause higher cholesterol and EXTREME weight gain ... I would not eat pasta unless you plan on burning it later...you would need to increase your activity to burn this.

though I may try this teeth brushing thing out... I cant see who wrote this cause half of this is crap...scratch tht found him... him..

Yeah I gained some serious weight by eating pasta pretty much every other day for dinner. Working it off daily!   :sorcerer:. Only eat pasta like once a week max now!

Didn't I just see a study that reported drinking 4+cups of coffee a day reduces the chance of prostate cancer by 60% ?

Seems every study contradicts the other.

Drink water, have some healthy servings of fruits, and vegetables and exercise adequately. That's all it takes.

And of course, avoid fast foods, Lol.

High in egg and fat? Where the hell do you buy pasta from? Normal pasta is most certainly not high in egg nor fat because normal pasta is just wheat. Gluten-free pasta is usually egg based and so will contain egg.

The reason having pasta every day would make you fat is because you don't do enough exercise, it's a good source of long-term slow-release energy which is why cyclists have it, and surprise surprise, they're not fat.....

High in egg and fat? Where the hell do you buy pasta from? Normal pasta is most certainly not high in egg nor fat because normal pasta is just wheat. Gluten-free pasta is usually egg based and so will contain egg.

The reason having pasta every day would make you fat is because you don't do enough exercise, it's a good source of long-term slow-release energy which is why cyclists have it, and surprise surprise, they're not fat.....

I get egg pasta? its called buying good quality lol!!! who wants a lasagne with cheap pasta? and having pasta on a regular basis is only recomended for those who train in endurance sports ... plain and simple the average person should not increase pasta intake whether or not it has egg in. I myself often have pasta or high carb meals as I am train for MMA every week including the physical not just technique 

I get egg pasta? its called buying good quality lol!!! who wants a lasagne with cheap pasta? and having pasta on a regular basis is only recomended for those who train in endurance sports ... plain and simple the average person should not increase pasta intake whether or not it has egg in. I myself often have pasta or high carb meals as I am train for MMA every week including the physical not just technique 

Well that's your choice if you want to eat egg pasta, it's most certainly not the pasta that most people get. Pasta doesn't really have much taste, it's what you put it with which is why you get pasta saurces and things to put in lasagnes, I've yet to see anyone eat paste without any kind of sauce or anything similar added because it's very bland (egg or wheat). It's fine if you do exercise to burn it off, simple stuff. If you take in 3000 calories in a day and burn off 2000 doing exercise, that's 1000 extra calories you'll have (and then your body uses some, etc.) and you'll gain weight.

It's like mcdonalds, most meals there are high in fat and calories, etc. but people still go there, and the majority of people that go there don't have it every day and aren't fat, because either they have it as a very rare treat or they burn the calories off.

Well that's your choice if you want to eat egg pasta, it's most certainly not the pasta that most people get. Pasta doesn't really have much taste, it's what you put it with which is why you get pasta saurces and things to put in lasagnes, I've yet to see anyone eat paste without any kind of sauce or anything similar added because it's very bland (egg or wheat). It's fine if you do exercise to burn it off, simple stuff. If you take in 3000 calories in a day and burn off 2000 doing exercise, that's 1000 extra calories you'll have (and then your body uses some, etc.) and you'll gain weight.

It's like mcdonalds, most meals there are high in fat and calories, etc. but people still go there, and the majority of people that go there don't have it every day and aren't fat, because either they have it as a very rare treat or they burn the calories off.

I see what you are saying... but dont you think its a bit weird the person says "have more pasta" then talks about the sauce? is pasta the only thing people can have sauce with ? 

I see what you are saying... but dont you think its a bit weird the person says "have more pasta" then talks about the sauce? is pasta the only thing people can have sauce with ? 

Possibly but tomato sauces for pasta have more tomatoes in than other things, you only have one/two tomatoes on cheese on toast, have quite a few on pizza, have only a few with salad, etc. whereas there's a load that have been diced and mushed with sauces.