Photo

How far would you travel for a McDonald’s burger?

usa big data download mobile app on-line discounts

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,004 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:48

Some fast food fans travel more than 25 miles to get their fix of McDonald's, KFC or Taco Bell, according to recent data on the industry.

"There are some [restaurant] locations where 15 percent, 25 percent of customers are coming from 25 miles away," according to data gathered from users of FrontFlip, a mobile app that offers discounts at some restaurant locations, according to the company's CEO, Sean Beckner.

Among patrons of a one particular McDonald's franchise partnership, consisting of eight restaurant locations in the Fort Collins, Colo. area, 30 percent traveled 25 miles or more from their home zip codes, according to FrontFlip.

Meanwhile, about 7 percent of visitors to the 16 restaurants that make up a Yum! Brands franchise group in Kansas City, Mo. traveled that far for a fast food fix.

But many of those travelers could just be making pit stops during their daily commutes.

"I think a lot of it has to do with just where in the city you work relative to your house but also it means that people…have that affinity for your brand no matter where they go," Beckner told "Big Data Download."

Visitors to another McDonald's franchise group's locations in Bowling Green, Ky., stopped at McDonald's once every four days, according to FrontFlip's data on users who've visited those locations at least twice.

Meanwhile visitors to one Yum franchise group's restaurants, which include KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut visited just once every 24 days, according to the data.

"I think what we're learning is if we give a fun experience, consumers are willing to give you some of that data that of course the business really wants to be able to capture and understand their customers and of course take action to try to drive additional visits.

McDonalds' may be doing just that by itself with its Monopoly game pieces, but FrontFlip competitors including Punchtab and DeelioZ are in on the mobile discount game as well.

source & video

#2 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 13:46

I know there are a lot of people on this site who get furious at the suggestion that McDonalds might not be decent food but I wouldn't even travel 5 minutes out of my way to eat there.  It's barely tasty and it's not at all satisfying.  I think you'd have to be mental to travel 25 miles for such worthless food.

#3 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,857 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 10 August 2013 - 13:48

I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for a McDonalds. I rarely ever eat there anyway but if I want one, I'll only go if I know it's on the way to something!

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,004 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:05

I'd buy my own meat, cheese, buns, cook at home -- before I'd travel 25 miles. :laugh:

#5 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,039 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:12

I wouldn't walk across the street for one if I had a choice.

#6 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,073 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:13

I wouldn't travel 4 seconds for a McDonalds, back in the day they used to deliver to my work place and i still didn't eat that turd.

#7 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

Groovy !

• 7,575 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:14

yeah i agree with abve, but a lot of people have no idea how to cook

also, people have kids who love mcd. i would not buy my kids mcd, but when i was a kid,  i LOVED me some mcdonalds.

#8 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,098 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 18:47

There are restaurants I'd go out of my way for lunch while on the road but McDonalds isn't on that list. Subway, mom & pop hole-in-the-wall homestyle cooking, any good Mexican, Tex-Mex, German, Greek or other Mediterranean, Thai, Szechuan, Mongolian etc. Burgers? Nope.

There's a little mom & pop German / American homestyle restaurant in northeastern Michigan that's maybe 16-20 seats in the front of a converted farm house. I'd drive 50+ miles out of my way to eat there :) (Y)

#9 morebaker

morebaker

Neowinian

• 1,022 posts
  • Phone: nexus 5

Posted 10 August 2013 - 18:54

McDonalds is for food emergencies only

Other than that i cook my own or go to a sit down resteraunt

#10 spike232

spike232

Hedgehog

• 634 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 19:21

I have travelled excessive distances for a McDonald's :blush:

Went camping, drove back to the last McDonald's we passed for my dinner, it was worth it :laugh:

#11 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

• 1,606 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 19:30

I'd travel a bit for fast food. Especially if I was in an area I wasn't familiar with and just wanted something quick and familiar.

I'm going to get into the food quality debate, but I think as long as you eat in moderation and exercise, it doesn't really matter what you eat.

#12 nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,809 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:22

This must be Americans traveling 25 miles. I dont see people in Europe would do this. Americans are a very strange bunch now just on this but on eveything.

The food quality in the US is garbage compared to the rest of the world. Been over seas to Europe many times and EU food standards and quality by far surpasses the US. People in Europe actually "cook" their own meals while most Americans eat out or make frozen foods at home or buy stuff already made.

Not to mention Americans have no right to a paid vacation or no labour protection from abusive employers that can force them to work unlimited hours in a week.

This article just proves again that society in USA is so messedup.Most of the sheep in USA are so blind and have never been over seas and they will defend usa all the way lol.

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,003 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:27

There are restaurants I'd go out of my way for lunch while on the road but McDonalds isn't on that list. Subway, mom & pop hole-in-the-wall homestyle cooking, any good Mexican, Tex-Mex, German, Greek or other Mediterranean, Thai, Szechuan, Mongolian etc. Burgers? Nope.

There's a little mom & pop German / American homestyle restaurant in northeastern Michigan that's maybe 16-20 seats in the front of a converted farm house. I'd drive 50+ miles out of my way to eat there :) (Y)

You don't have to go out of your way for Subway. They're everywhere, even out in the middle of nowhere.

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:30

You don't have to go out of your way for Subway. They're everywhere, even out in the middle of nowhere.

Even the little town I live in has 2 :laugh:

#15 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,578 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:35

There's one, literally, around the corner from where I live, and I still would go further to not eat there :p