Photo

How far would you travel for a McDonald’s burger?

usa big data download mobile app on-line discounts

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,945 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:36

I'd rather go get food than cook, but if it takes me longer than 15 minutes to get my food and come back home, then I'll cook. Luckily, I have 3 McDonalds, 2 Burger Kings, and a Wendy's in a 5 mile radius of me.

#17 Nilus

Nilus

Neowinian

• 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:38

I definitely don't go out of my way for a fast food restaurant. I do however travel 50 miles each way for a particular curry house on a monthly basis.

#18 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:38

Yah mcdonalds is crap i tried one of there new seasonal burgers i think they slap so much sauce on becuase it tastes of nothing. if i was going to eat any fast food i do love meself kfc boneless box. proper lush, cant go wrong with chicken:D

#19 Nilus

Nilus

Neowinian

• 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:41

Yah mcdonalds is crap i tried one of there new seasonal burgers i think they slap so much sauce on becuase it tastes of nothing. if i was going to eat any fast food i do love meself kfc boneless box. proper lush, cant go wrong with chicken:D

I have to admit I do have a fondness for KFC. Don't go out of my way for it but sometimes a few buddies and I will grab a big fat bucket of chicken. None of this chicken burger stuff but the chicken on the bone. That is tasty.

#20 nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,812 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:45

They have doen studies on how Americans palpate ( toungue ) over the past 20 to 30 years has been dubmed down and people who live in Europe and other counries have a much higher palpate now. American corporations at its best serving crap food at high prices profit profit profit.

#21 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,153 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:48

Let's put it this way, if I was starving and someone set one down on the other side of the room, I would rather sit there and finish starving instead of crawling over and nibbling on it.

Heck, if I wanted to eat trash, I could have found some old crumbs in the carpet long before the hamburger became tantalizing.

#22 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,169 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:55

I only ever consider McDonald's if I walk past, and then it's usually just to pick up a cheeseburger on the go. Is a nice snack for €1 from time to time. Where I study there's a McDonald's in the city center, about a ten minute walk from where I live. I think in the last two years I walked there to go get McDonald's two or three times, usually very late at night when I'm hungry after studying and not in the mood for kebab or something I have in my room.

When I'm home the nearest McDonald's (or actually any fast food place) is a 30 minute drive away, so that doesn't really happen.

We do have something very Belgian though, a "frituur" (friterie in French). They're just places where you can get real proper Belgian fries (optionally with some sort of meat). They are all over Belgium, there are two near here, each a little over 1km away. In the city centre there are about 5 or 6 (and it's not even a large city). Very Belgian. They're usually even just something trailer-like.

Fritkot.jpg

Like every proper Belgian we go there from time to time. For some people it's a weekly habit, for me it's probably about 5-6 times a year.

If eaten on the go served like this:

zak%20patat.jpg

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:58

for a McRib, pretty far :p

#24 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,848 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6/Nexus 5

Posted 10 August 2013 - 21:03

I go to McDonald's like once a year...I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. Where I live there are plenty of restaurants on the same road as McDonald's and Wendy's is right across from it. The closest McD's is ~2 miles away.

#25 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,083 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 21:04

You don't have to go out of your way for Subway. They're everywhere, even out in the middle of nowhere.

There are places in northern Michigan where restaurants, much less a Subway, are few and far between. In the 16,377 sq/mi of Michigan's Upper Peninsula there are about 20 Subways, or 1 for every 819 sq/mi.

Once you're out of the larger towns fast food means you have a rifle or fishing pole and a can of beans in the trunk of your car.

#26 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 10 August 2013 - 21:08

So many high horses in here. I'd be genuinely interested in taking the people who said they'd rather starve and lock them in a room with no food and a button that, when pressed, delivers a freshly cooked Big Mac Meal into the room. Just to see how many people stay true to their word and starve to death.

In my village if you want any food after 10 o'clock your only choice is a 24/7 McDonalds 16 miles away. The comparisons being made here make it sound like McDonalds is physically disgusting, sure it's not great, but it serves its purpose. Cheap quick food that's not bad. I enjoy it.

#27 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,169 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 10 August 2013 - 21:45

McDonald's isn't that bad over here either. Sure it's still fastfood but some of their burgers have pretty good meat, the vegetables are fresh and they taste good.

The 1955 (Europe only I think) is pretty good. As are the 'Petit' variants, for example the Petit Texas or Petit Crispy Bacon. They all have 100% beef burgers that are quite good.

#28 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 3,120 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:10

I wouldn't even travel one foot. If I were standing outside of a McDonalds, I'd travel 25 miles to get food somewhere where it actually tastes good and is good for me.

#29 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,720 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:14

But many of those travelers could just be making pit stops during their daily commutes.

"I think a lot of it has to do with just where in the city you work relative to your house but also it means that people…have that affinity for your brand no matter where they go," Beckner told "Big Data Download."

I'm sure this has to be the case for the majority of people.  Granted my sampling group is small in comparison but people I know go to fast food for the convenience factor when on the go.  Can't say I know people who get a craving for McDonalds and need to drive 20mins to go get some when you could make a much better burger at home in that amount of time. 

Just seems to make more sense that people may work a longer shift and just want a quick bite on the way home.  That way they don't have to worry about getting dinner prepared when they're already getting home late and may be tired.

#30 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,562 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:20

There are microwave burgers, similar to this, which aren't too bad, if you add the right cheese, ketchup, onion:

Attached Images

• microburger.jpg