linux elementary luna

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 Aletheia

Aletheia

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:00

If you are interested in simple, fast, elegant Linux, consider Luna. IMHO, it is better than Mint. But of course, it all depends on one's preference.

http://elementaryos.org/

#2 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:27

It looks nice, but that's mostly because OS X looks nice.

#3 artnada

artnada

Merrrr

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:38

Bit of a sly way to try and get $10 out of people considering they say 100% FREE!!!

When you click the download button, it opens up a payment options page. Then if you click cancel, it cancels.

If you click "Download" it takes you to Paypal to try and get money from you.

It's only when you cancel that page when you actually get the download.

So, for the benefit of people who do not want to have someone try and do things the sly way by trying to confuse people here is a direct link to the ISO

Make it CLEAR and make it simple. Don't try to confuse people by saying it's "free to download" then try and grab $10 from them. You'll not get far doing things like that. It looks untrustworthy and downright dishonest.

Reminds me of Hara Krishna people in the street who offer you a book for "free" then expect a "minimum donation."

#4 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:47

You can also enter $0.00 and it sends you straight to the SourceForge page.

#5 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:00

You can also enter $0.00 and it sends you straight to the SourceForge page.

That or click the link right below the Download button that says "Download Luna for free" and it automatically sets the donation amount as $0.00. :)

#6 Unksi

Unksi

Neowinian

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:06

If you are interested in simple, fast, elegant Linux, consider Luna. IMHO, it is better than Mint. But of course, it all depends on one's preference.

http://elementaryos.org/

Care to elaborate on how it is better?

#7 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:11

Reminds me of Hara Krishna people in the street who offer you a book for "free" then expect a "minimum donation."

Ha-ré

#8 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:29

Bit of a sly way to try and get $10 out of people considering they say 100% FREE!!!

When you click the download button, it opens up a payment options page. Then if you click cancel, it cancels.

If you click "Download" it takes you to Paypal to try and get money from you.

It's only when you cancel that page when you actually get the download.

So, for the benefit of people who do not want to have someone try and do things the sly way by trying to confuse people here is a direct link to the ISO

Make it CLEAR and make it simple. Don't try to confuse people by saying it's "free to download" then try and grab $10 from them. You'll not get far doing things like that. It looks untrustworthy and downright dishonest.

More like strongly encouraged, but yeah I see what you're saying.

#9 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:20

Care to elaborate on how it is better?

Mint, along with 90% of Linux distributions look like they were designed over fifteen years ago. Sorry, most Linux users will not be winning awards for design and innovation any time soon. There are still distributions that think wobbly windows and the desktop cube effect look "cool". Elementary OS has a good bit of under-the-hood performance tweaks. Also, I like their application launchpad much more than Unity or Cinnamon's.

#10 Unksi

Unksi

Neowinian

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:28

Mint, along with 90% of Linux distributions look like they were designed over fifteen years ago. Sorry, most Linux users will not be winning awards for design and innovation any time soon. There are still distributions that think wobbly windows and the desktop cube effect look "cool". Elementary OS has a good bit of under-the-hood performance tweaks. Also, I like their application launchpad much more than Unity or Cinnamon's.

Ok, thanks. Guess I gotta try it out and see. I strongly agree with that design point... most of it really looks like that. Unity/Cinnamon is a huge improvement on many regards, but either doesn't still cut it.

Though, the YouTube trailer Elementary OS has on their frontpage looks like a cheap OS X copy at the first glance... will see if it is or not. :p

#11 paulheu

paulheu

StartMenu is dead..

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:28

It's basically a rip off of OS X with a hint of WIN8.. The 'commercial' is almost a carbon copy of some of the 'I am X and this is my Windows Phone' adds..

It's not even an OS, it's a skin (GUI at best)

They also try and get you to pay $10 for it, not even ask but just put it up so many people will just click-click and pay.. So sad..

#12 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:39

It's basically a rip off of OS X with a hint of WIN8.. The 'commercial' is almost a carbon copy of some of the 'I am X and this is my Windows Phone' adds..

It's not even an OS, it's a skin (GUI at best)

They also try and get you to pay $10 for it, not even ask but just put it up so many people will just click-click and pay.. So sad..

What the bloody hell are you talking about? In what way is it not an OS?

It very clearly says, "Download Luna for free" under the regular download button. Maybe not their wisest choice to set it that way, but they are not forcing anybody to pay at gunpoint.

#13 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:39

What the bloody hell are you talking about? In what way is it not an OS?

It very clearly says, "Download Luna for free" under the regular download button. Maybe not their wisest choice to set it that way, but they are not forcing anybody to pay at gunpoint.

It's a theme on top of Ubuntu with Gnome 3 running, that's not an OS, it's a mod

#14 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:04

It's a theme on top of Ubuntu with Gnome 3 running, that's not an OS, it's a mod

They use a self made window manager / desktop environment. Also, they built most of their core apps from scratch. It's as much of an OS as Ubuntu is compared to Debian.

#15 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:54

nice!