Elementary OS Luna released today

linux elementary luna

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#16 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

Posted 11 August 2013 - 13:52

It's a theme on top of Ubuntu with Gnome 3 running, that's not an OS, it's a mod

"An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is an essential component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function." - By this definition, it is an OS. ;) By your same explanation, I could say Windows 8 is not an OS as it is only Windows 7 with Aero removed and a useless Metro interface added. Luckily, I am not silly enough to do so.

#17 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:05

32-bit versus 64-bit

elementary is currently built for two processor architectures, 32-bit and 64-bit. If this sounds a bit technical for you, never fear:

• If you know you have a newer computer with a 64-bit processor, choose the 64bit version.
  • If your computer is older or you do not know which type of processor your computer has, choose the 32-bit version. (64-bit processors will still be able to run this version).
Minimum System Requirements
  • 1 GHz x86 or amd64 processor
  • 512MB of system memory (RAM)
  • 5GB of disk space
  • CD/DVD drive
Recommended System Requirements
  • 1 GHz x86 or amd64 processor
  • 1GB of system memory (RAM)
  • 15 GB of disk space
  • CD/DVD Drive or USB port
  • Internet access
Default Apps

elementary OS Luna ships with the following apps preinstalled:

• FIle Roller (Archive Manager)
  • Geary (Email Client)
  • GNOME Calculator
  • Empathy (Internet Messenger)
  • Maya (Calendar)
  • Midori (Web Browser)
  • Noise (Music Player)
  • Pantheon Files
  • Pantheon Terminal
  • Scratch (Text Editor)
  • Screenshot tool
  • Shotwell (Photo Manager)
  • Simple Scan
  • Switchboard (System Settings)
  • Totem (Movie Player)
  • Ubuntu Software Center
  • Update Manager

Thousands more can be installed in the Software Center

Cant see anything specific on hardware driver support though

EDIT

64 bit version link http://sourceforge.n...10.iso/download

32 bit version link http://sourceforge.n...10.iso/download

#18 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:09

It's basically a rip off of OS X with a hint of WIN8.. The 'commercial' is almost a carbon copy of some of the 'I am X and this is my Windows Phone' adds..

It's not even an OS, it's a skin (GUI at best)

They also try and get you to pay $10 for it, not even ask but just put it up so many people will just click-click and pay.. So sad..

They created their own DE, Window manager, and core apps. They did a lot of work for this release, calling it a skin is completely disingenuous.

They do take inspiration from apple for sure, but if you actually use it you do see that its definitely not trying to just be a "copy" and works pretty differently in many areas. I think they've done a decent job, and its a nice distro for those that like the apple style aesthetic. (i'm not using it because just I don't like that its based on 12.04, gtk 3.4 has some weird bugs on my hardware, I may give it a try as my main OS on luna +1).

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:14

It's a theme on top of Ubuntu with Gnome 3 running, that's not an OS, it's a mod

Can we stop with the ridiculous troll posts in this thread, from people that clearly don't know what they are talking about? This statement may have been somewhat true for the first elementary release (jupiter) which was just a stripped down and skinned ubuntu/gnome 2, but definitely not for luna.

They have created their own desktop environment, pantheon, this includes their own libmutter based window manager (gala), and a set of apps written from scratch with vala/GTK3. Pantheon still uses some gnome components under the hood but it is NOT gnome and it is NOT a gnome fork or anything like that (and under the hood they also developed a lot of their own components like granite, contractor, switchboard). It uses gnome technologies like GTK3 and libmutter but it was written from scratch and is certainly not "gnome 3".

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:14

still waiting for metrobuntu, because you knows the linux folks are working on it. :laugh:

#21 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:19

still waiting for metrobuntu, because you knows the linux folks are working on it. :laugh:

They made one but they couldn't get folks to use it even for free :rolleyes: :laugh:

#22 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:24

They made one but they couldn't get folks to use it even for free :rolleyes: :laugh:

just like every other linux distribution....

:laugh:

#23 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 August 2013 - 14:32

Wow, I hadn't kept up with elementary, but it looks like it really came together. Who cares if it looks like OS X, OS X looks good. It's better than it looking like Windows 8. :laugh:

I'm using Mint 15 right now, but I'll have to give this a try and see what it's like now.

#24 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 August 2013 - 15:11

What the bloody hell are you talking about? In what way is it not an OS?

It very clearly says, "Download Luna for free" under the regular download button. Maybe not their wisest choice to set it that way, but they are not forcing anybody to pay at gunpoint.

Actually, it's as close to a vanilla GNOME 3+ as I've seen out of any distribution to date.  (If you look at the screenshots at GNOME.ORG of mockups of a vanilla GNOME, you'll see a lot of similarities to Luna.)  Most distributions that use GNOME3+ fork it somehow off the default - Canonical's Unity is simply the most obvious.

I am currently running it in a VM (Oracle VirtualBox), and I'm normally a fan of KDE - however, it's okay because it's largely NOT a fork of GNOME.

If you prefer a more vanilla GNOME, or even a plainer GNOME, Elementary/Luna may well suit you.

#25 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2013 - 15:13

just like every other linux distribution....

:laugh:

I had not a problem getting it for free (actually, I downloaded the TORRENT file of it from the homepage).

#26 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2013 - 15:20

Actually, it's as close to a vanilla GNOME 3+ as I've seen out of any distribution to date.  (If you look at the screenshots at GNOME.ORG of mockups of a vanilla GNOME, you'll see a lot of similarities to Luna.)  Most distributions that use GNOME3+ fork it somehow off the default - Canonical's Unity is simply the most obvious.

I am currently running it in a VM (Oracle VirtualBox), and I'm normally a fan of KDE - however, it's okay because it's largely NOT a fork of GNOME.

If you prefer a more vanilla GNOME, or even a plainer GNOME, Elementary/Luna may well suit you.

Elementary luna does *not* use gnome. Pantheon is a totally separate desktop environment. It uses gnome technologies but it is not based on or forked from gnome 3 or gnome-shell.

As an analogy: XFCE uses a lot of gnome 2 tech, but it is a totally separate DE and is not "based on gnome". The same is true comparing pantheon to gnome 3.

#27 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 August 2013 - 15:51

Tried to install this on Virtualbox and it says i need a PAE kernel

EDIT: forget that got it

#28 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2013 - 16:00

Elementary luna does *not* use gnome. Pantheon is a totally separate desktop environment. It uses gnome technologies but it is not based on or forked from gnome 3 or gnome-shell.

As an analogy: XFCE uses a lot of gnome 2 tech, but it is a totally separate DE and is not "based on gnome". The same is true comparing pantheon to gnome 3.

In other words, despite it looking a lot like GNOME (and admittedly based on GTK+, as even the distributions's developers admit), it's a distribution-specific DE.  In that sense, in what way is that any different from Unity (which Canonical was castigated for doing)?

And I didn't say it WAS based on GNOME - I said that it's the closest thing to a vanilla (unforked) GNOME out there, and it is, even though it's not based on it.  Practically every distribution that uses GNOME uses a fork (or multifork) of GNOME; the end result is that Pantheon has out-GNOMEd GNOME by remaining true to the original tenets of GNOME.  One of my complaints about GNOME was that it got really REALLY porky over the development of 3.0; however, 2.x was just as bad.  (It's why I fled GNOME as a preferred desktop environment for KDE.)  Basically, Pantheon is what GNOME 3 should have been, but STILL largely isn't.

#29 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 16:30

In other words, despite it looking a lot like GNOME (and admittedly based on GTK+, as even the distributions's developers admit), it's a distribution-specific DE.  In that sense, in what way is that any different from Unity (which Canonical was castigated for doing)?

And I didn't say it WAS based on GNOME - I said that it's the closest thing to a vanilla (unforked) GNOME out there, and it is, even though it's not based on it.  Practically every distribution that uses GNOME uses a fork (or multifork) of GNOME; the end result is that Pantheon has out-GNOMEd GNOME by remaining true to the original tenets of GNOME.  One of my complaints about GNOME was that it got really REALLY porky over the development of 3.0; however, 2.x was just as bad.  (It's why I fled GNOME as a preferred desktop environment for KDE.)  Basically, Pantheon is what GNOME 3 should have been, but STILL largely isn't.

This is the most incoherent post I've seen on Neowin in a while.

Pantheon is not a fork of GNOME, it's just written with GTK, just as Viper mentioned, even Xfce uses GTK for underlying apps, but it doesn't have anything to do with GNOME. The second part of your post really makes no sense whatsoever so it's hard for me to comment on it.

TL;DR - This distro has nothing to do with GNOME.

#30 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2013 - 16:31

Unity isn't really a full DE like pantheon, at the moment it is mostly just a shell. Ubuntu still technically uses the gnome desktop under the hood (although ubuntu does tend to apply a massive amount of downstream patches to their gnome desktop instead of forking or writing things from scratch).

Unity = A shell that is implemented as a compiz plugin, which ubuntu uses as an alternative to gnome-shell. Ubuntu's desktop = Gnome 3.6 desktop (but without gnome-shell) + tons of ubuntu specific patches + unity shell + some ubuntu specific software (like USC, Ubuntu one, UOA etc...).

Pantheon = A full desktop environment written from scratch using Vala/GTK3, and uses some existing gnome technology like gtk3, gsettings/dconf, libmutter, gvfs etc... (and also some new tech that elementary has developed like Granite, which is an extension of GTK3, and contractor which is a way for apps to communicate with each other).

As you see, ubuntu's desktop implementation is much more...hacky.