Elementary OS Luna released today

Tried it in a VM, noticed it ran smoothly without hardware acceleration, decided to pop it on a thumbdrive and load it up from the thumbdrive on my 2007 Acer Travelmate 4320, the laptop sprung to life from an ancient slow USB, installing from USB right now... will post back once I try it from the hard drive. So far I like what I see.

Replaces Windows on that machine, fantastic OS, and works well for low end and old computers.

8hP07kK.jpg

This is what I have so far on a one hour old install, had to do some Terminal diving to get stuff like Spotify and my wifi to work, but other than that everything works great. From what I gather is if it works on Ubuntu, it'll work on ElementaryOS. 

Yes, it's Ubuntu-based.  Elementary is by far my favorite brand of linux.  I'm thinking of buying a low-end ultrabook just to run it outside of a VM.

Yes, it's Ubuntu-based.  Elementary is by far my favorite brand of linux.  I'm thinking of buying a low-end ultrabook just to run it outside of a VM.

I'm running it on the specs below...

Intel Celeron 530 @ 1.73 Ghz Single Core

2GB DDR-SDRam

Intel GMA X3100

Able to run Spotify, Steam, and even ran Minecraft on this thing. Granted Minecraft as sluggish as heck, the fact that it even ran is impressive.

If you run Spotify's native Linux preview build you'll experience some crashes (from Wingpanel I believe). Not often, you might just get one from time to time... There's a bug in the audio panel that displays the player controls. Spotify throws very ugly strings at it and it causes it to crash.

Luckily everything automatically recovers in Elementary so it's not really something to worry about.

http://wps-community.org/

Kingsoft Office for Ubuntu is free (as in beer) and the compatibility with Office features is notable. And the UI is fantastic.

I dont have any problems with the UI. OS X was not exactly new too, the paradigm of panel-based UIGs is as old as the first GUIs made by Xerox, Apple, Amiga, etc. The dock is, practically, a task populated panel with some nice effects added. In that sense eOS is not copying, it's just adopting a logical set of guidelines.

I'll check it out, thanks. The main problem with LibreOffice is that a lot of Word and Excel documents she receives just won't open properly.

PS I guess those guidelines state Launcher icons absolutely have to bounce, otherwise it just isn't logical (to name one thing). ;)

I had not a problem getting it for free (actually, I downloaded the TORRENT file of it from the homepage).

OMG Piratez! Expect the cops to come knocking very soon. 

Downloading from a nearby mirror.

Now that Kingsoft office seems to be stable & compatible enough, I'll see if I can install this on the wife's PC, and get her to try something new (gotta start somewhere, right?)  :laugh: 

If you run Spotify's native Linux preview build you'll experience some crashes (from Wingpanel I believe). Not often, you might just get one from time to time... There's a bug in the audio panel that displays the player controls. Spotify throws very ugly strings at it and it causes it to crash.

Luckily everything automatically recovers in Elementary so it's not really something to worry about.

Oh wow I didn't even notice, the top part would dissapear for a split second every now and then, and that would be it.

Oh wow I didn't even notice, the top part would dissapear for a split second every now and then, and that would be it.

Yeah, Spotify... Good thing their error handling is pretty good.

I'll check it out, thanks. The main problem with LibreOffice is that a lot of Word and Excel documents she receives just won't open properly.

PS I guess those guidelines state Launcher icons absolutely have to bounce, otherwise it just isn't logical (to name one thing). ;)

You sure about the bouncing man? Mine does not bounce, they shine.

Be thankful for cerbere. A kind of watchdog app made by elementary that automatically restart core components on crash.

This looks excellent but theres really no good forums for it...Yet! Is it the same commands as Ubuntu? apt-get update, upgrade etc?

It's using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a basis, so yes.

Hmm... I suspect my issue has something to do with the AMD video card in my system that's not actually being used for my display. I reinstalled again and this time just enabled the AMD driver, rebooted, and it was toast again. As usual, graphics drivers will forever be the death of Linux, though I suppose that perhaps enabling the AMD driver made it try to switch my configuration to AMD, when really I was using the onboard Intel for graphics. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the configs or where they even are for this to fix it.

Really like the look of this.

One day, when I manage to find a wireless adapter that will actually work in Ubuntu I'll try it again.

Which wireless adapter were you using? I had to do some fixes to get my Broadcom adapter to work..

Hmm... I suspect my issue has something to do with the AMD video card in my system that's not actually being used for my display. I reinstalled again and this time just enabled the AMD driver, rebooted, and it was toast again. As usual, graphics drivers will forever be the death of Linux, though I suppose that perhaps enabling the AMD driver made it try to switch my configuration to AMD, when really I was using the onboard Intel for graphics. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the configs or where they even are for this to fix it.

Blame AMD for their closed policy. I know this is not the user's fault, but is not Linux either.

• Like 1

I've just recently switched to Debian as my distro of choice (from Arch).  My problem with linux.. is there are so many options.. it's hard to not want to be a distro ###### and try them all.

Blame AMD for their closed policy. I know this is not the user's fault, but is not Linux either.

Agreed. Removed the unused card, reinstalled (could have just reinstalled and ignored the "Install Proprietary Drivers" popup but I didn't need it in there anymore), everything is great now. I really think I'm going to have to drop this on my system at home over Mint. I'll play with it a little more before I take that commitment though. That's my main system and HTPC at home. Then again, I wanted to swap from XBMC back to Plex anyway so it would be a good time.

I've just recently switched to Debian as my distro of choice (from Arch). My problem with linux.. is there are so many options.. it's hard to not want to be a distro ###### and try them all.

I frequently try distros in VirtualBox (and occasionally on real hardware if the distro provides a live option), but I always come back to Debian as my distro of choice. No distro gets everything perfect, but Debian is the closest I have found. However, that is obviously just my personal preference. The multitude of distros we have today exist because they each excel at different things based on their target audience. For example, I tried the new Elementary OS release today, and while I see how it could appeal to someone who wants an aesthetically pleasing desktop environment out-of-the-box, it is far too simplistic for me. Although the current situation with Linux distributions and desktop environments is often seen as "too fragmented" by outsiders looking in, I would much rather have too much choice (which is arguably what we have now) than none at all (which is what proprietary platforms almost always try to lock users into).