Elementary OS Luna released today

Agreed. Removed the unused card, reinstalled (could have just reinstalled and ignored the "Install Proprietary Drivers" popup but I didn't need it in there anymore), everything is great now. I really think I'm going to have to drop this on my system at home over Mint. I'll play with it a little more before I take that commitment though. That's my main system and HTPC at home. Then again, I wanted to swap from XBMC back to Plex anyway so it would be a good time.

im using AMD drivers with it and it works fine. Only thing that does not work is screenshots (know AMD issue)... both drivers worked (from the ubuntu repos - aka using additional drivers automatic feature and the AMD website ones - you should use this ones, they are better)

Which wireless adapter were you using? I had to do some fixes to get my Broadcom adapter to work..

WNA 3100.  Depending on the revision you can spend a couple of hours and get it to work, or you can spend a couple of hours and it still won't work.

Mine is the in the second column, sadly.  I've just installed it today, tried a fix that was dated two months ago and it still doesn't work.  I might find a forum to ask someone more knowledgeable than me to go through it with me step by step to see if I did something wrong tomorrow.  However this will be the forth or fifth time I've tried a variation of Linux and none of them have been able to work with it, so I'm not holding out much hope.

I keep trying to get a completely Open Source / legally free computer set up for writing and research, I've been trying for the better part of ten years and there's always some major show stopping problem.  One day :(

im using AMD drivers with it and it works fine. Only thing that does not work is screenshots (know AMD issue)... both drivers worked (from the ubuntu repos - aka using additional drivers automatic feature and the AMD website ones - you should use this ones, they are better)

Well I'm glad they work for you on your card, and I'm glad I don't have to use mine! :D

WNA 3100.  Depending on the revision you can spend a couple of hours and get it to work, or you can spend a couple of hours and it still won't work.

Mine is the in the second column, sadly.  I've just installed it today, tried a fix that was dated two months ago and it still doesn't work.  I might find a forum to ask someone more knowledgeable than me to go through it with me step by step to see if I did something wrong tomorrow.  However this will be the forth or fifth time I've tried a variation of Linux and none of them have been able to work with it, so I'm not holding out much hope.

I keep trying to get a completely Open Source / legally free computer set up for writing and research, I've been trying for the better part of ten years and there's always some major show stopping problem.  One day :(

Yeah I got lucky, tried to do a full Terminalless install, installed my wifi drivers via Restricted Drivers, and no dice, in fact the wifi card disappeared from "Network" in settings, finally had to do the old and trusted Terminal fix..

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

Followed by a reboot.

Realized I have a small 32 GB SSD in the laptop (guess it's supposed to be used for caching, though I never looked into if and how that works), so decided to use it for Elementary and give it a shot, as I'll be upgrading the second hard drive anyway so a clean install is imminent in a couple of days anyway, might as well play around with it.

Surprisingly complicated installation, due to the combination of hardware and software issues (nvidia cards causing blank screen on boots, and UEFI issues causing Windows not to boot), but a couple of nomodesets and boot-repairs later, it's up and running.

In short -- feels just like an OS should feel like: unobtrusive, snappy and incredibly simple to figure out even when trying it for the first time.

Unfortunately, I need Adobe's crap for work and VirtualBox doesn't cut it, so I can't use it full time, which really sucks. But I'll be donating anyway, incredible how much is achieved in this project, considering it started as a desktop theme and how few resources the people making it must have.

According to this page your wireless card uses the Broadcom BCM43231 chipset. As far as I can tell from the documentation available (such as this page on the Debian Wiki), there is no Linux driver available for your wireless card (or even in development). NDISwrapper is probably your only hope for getting it working under Linux. While wireless driver support in Linux is drastically better than it was 5 years ago, some chipsets are still not very well supported. Ralink and Broadcom support in particular is somewhat spotty (although there are a surprisingly large number of cards with those chipsets that do work). I generally recommend Intel and Atheros cards because those chipsets have excellent support in Linux.

Yea, exactly the problem. On every version I've tried, as soon as I try and force it through NDISwrapper, I get an unbootable Linux install.

Been down that road many times.  Like I said, tomorrow when I'll have time I'll attempt it again as a couple of new guides have popped up since I last attempted it.  I shall just not get my hopes up!

According to this page your wireless card uses the Broadcom BCM43231 chipset. As far as I can tell from the documentation available (such as this page on the Debian Wiki), there is no Linux driver available for your wireless card (or even in development). NDISwrapper is probably your only hope for getting it working under Linux. While wireless driver support in Linux is drastically better than it was 5 years ago, some chipsets are still not very well supported. Ralink and Broadcom support in particular is somewhat spotty (although there are a surprisingly large number of cards with those chipsets that do work). I generally recommend Intel and Atheros cards because those chipsets have excellent support in Linux.

If he does use Broadcom, then do the fix I posted and it should work.

If he does use Broadcom, then do the fix I posted and it should work.

Although many Broadcom cards work, his is not supported. Unless Broadcom added support for his card to their official driver your fix is irrelevant.

Yea, lots don't seem to work including mine.

I hope the community has improved a bit.  What I normally find is that I'm incompetent if I can't get an unsupported device to work.

Installed this into VMWare Workstation 9.2, and am very happy with the ease of the install.  The key to this Linux Distro is "Software Center" which allows you to install just about any available software for Linux without have to go through all the mess of the past.  Now as to using Linux, Susie is my main distro (has been since 9), however, this may change my mind. 

I have it loaded up on a SSD, thus giving it some excellent speed.  Still have more to do and learn, albeit at the present time it is doing what I want. . .knock on wood. . . :)

Can we stop with the ridiculous troll posts in this thread, from people that clearly don't know what they are talking about? This statement may have been somewhat true for the first elementary release (jupiter) which was just a stripped down and skinned ubuntu/gnome 2, but definitely not for luna.

They have created their own desktop environment, pantheon, this includes their own libmutter based window manager (gala), and a set of apps written from scratch with vala/GTK3. Pantheon still uses some gnome components under the hood but it is NOT gnome and it is NOT a gnome fork or anything like that (and under the hood they also developed a lot of their own components like granite, contractor, switchboard). It uses gnome technologies like GTK3 and libmutter but it was written from scratch and is certainly not "gnome 3".

Sounds like it's more of a new desktop environment than a new OS. Great work by them, though. Everything is very nice. 

stop saying its a desktop environment / theme / mod! geez... in that thinking line, Mint is ubuntu but green and silver + a new start menu

Installed it onto Virtual Box.  Install went 100% smooth, virtual box additions installed no problem.  Software update worked properly. Felt (like many others have said) OSX.  I am quite comfortable with debian, but for anyone looking to get into linux.. I'd say Elementary is the one for them.

stop saying its a desktop environment / theme / mod! geez... in that thinking line, Mint is ubuntu but green and silver + a new start menu

But it's true and I say that as one of the fiercest eOS proponent on Neowin.

It is a new desktop environment. But one that is built from the ground in a masterful way.

yes, its based in ubuntu for now...

and yes, its a DE but as stated, built from the ground up so it's not a freaking theme/mod... basicale eOS is showing the Vala language potential there and its amazing

Groled, that review was from April 24, 2013, not describing this version.

Edit: Damn, ninja'd... :shiftyninja:

^ I know that, but like I said, not everyone loves it. I find it awful, myself. Pretty, though. However, it's still Ubuntu underneath so I can do whatever I wanted with it.

^ I know that, but like I said, not everyone loves it. I find it awful, myself. Pretty, though. However, it's still Ubuntu underneath so I can do whatever I wanted with it.

Not everyone HAS to love it... 

• Like 1