• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 7,857 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 00:55

http://news.yahoo.co...-215423538.html

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

Silly name, retarded ruling. 

#2 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:06

So is Prince and Pilot, but there are no judges changing the names of the celebrity's kids. This is a judge overstepping their power.

#3 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,543 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:10

So, someone can actually say yes or no to a child's name?

#4 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,511 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:12

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique

Lol. 

#5 OP mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 7,857 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:13

I plan on naming my son Damien. Wonder if a judge will change it.

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

#6 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:18

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

Iceland comes to mind when you think of places forcing name changes.... their whole "your name doesn't fit into our culture" BS argument they use

#7 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:26

This was in Tennessee, so it appears to be setting a new precedent.

#8 OP mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 7,857 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:32

This was in Tennessee, so it appears to be setting a new precedent.

I have no doubt it will be over turned, this judge is way over stepping her role. 

#9 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,294 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:34

Iceland comes to mind when you think of places forcing name changes.... their whole "your name doesn't fit into our culture" BS argument they use

For some places, not sure about Iceland, it's to prevent your kid getting ridiculed because their parents thought it would be funny to give them a ridiculous name.

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,416 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:47

That lacks any credibility when this article is specifically about the US.

It is absolutely ridiculous for a judge to rename a child without permission, especially when doing so for religious reasons. Unfortunately the US has become a theocratic police state.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,517 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:51

that judge is on a serious power trip. it wont stick.

#12 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,348 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:56

1. The names of the one Christians call Jesus etc. etc. our NOT owned by Christianity ill call my kid Kane and my other kind Able if I want or indeed Jesus etc etc.
  2. The parents went to the court about the childs LAST name how dare the judge change the Childs name like that.
  3. I like the name messiah didn't it mean Leader rather than King or Son of God (since Jews don't believe the messiah Is the son of god)

#13 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,224 posts
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:04

Judges can in certain circumstances, I remember years ago some parents weren't allowed to name their kid some unpronounceable string of letters they were trying to use.

#14 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,205 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:18

good thing he's not from south floirda, there's a lot of people named Jesus here....

#15 OP mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 7,857 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:38

That lacks any credibility when this article is specifically about the US.

What exactly are you going on about?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!