DeShawn?

Jaleesa?

hmm.

#17 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:05

Interesting article on this on the BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-23626986

Considering there are several hundred "Messiah's" in the US at the moment, this dumb decision is going to get overturned...

Mind you, I think it's a dumb name...

#18 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:28

While I don't necessarily agree with what the judge did or the reasoning behind it, I kind of think it should happen more often. People are getting a little too stupid with the names; like Rob Morrow's kid Tu Morrow, and Kim and Kanye's kid North West, or Moon Unit Zappa.

If it is upheld, this kid will thank the judge in 13 years. I can hear the kids in the hall yelling, "Hey Messy", already.

This kind of naming, like "King" and "Messiah", and the more grandiose names just show how insecure and/or pompous and self-righteous the parents are. It doesn't bode well for a healthy childhood, no matter what their names eventually become.

#19 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,957 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:50

good thing he's not from south floirda, there's a lot of people named Jesus here....

Indeed.

Maybe, he thinks they don't count because they are not white (like Jesus was) and pronounce it "Hey-soos". 

#20 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,550 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:17

I don't know whats more silly, the parents wanting to name their child that, or a JUDGE basing her rulings on fairly tales she was brain washed into believing as a kid.

The law is supposed to be based on reality, not fiction.

Right to be stupid, is a freedom we should have in the US.

Something like this you mean?

http://www.reuters.c...E91P0HJ20130226

Seems your leaders agree with you.

#21 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,473 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:34

1. The names of the one Christians call Jesus etc. etc. our NOT owned by Christianity ill call my kid Kane and my other kind Able if I want or indeed Jesus etc etc.
  2. The parents went to the court about the childs LAST name how dare the judge change the Childs name like that.
  3. I like the name messiah didn't it mean Leader rather than King or Son of God (since Jews don't believe the messiah Is the son of god)

messiah means "anointed". The greek translation of messiah is "christ"

#22 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:55

ZUwqXbn.gif

He's a very naughty boy!  :rofl:

#23 yakumo

yakumo

Neowinian

• 653 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:01

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

wow... freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but not freedom to name your own child...

#24 OP mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,199 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:07

wow... freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but not freedom to name your own child...

It will be over turned, the judge was out of line in that ruling.

#25 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 710 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:51

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

New Zealand definitely has rules to what you can name your kid (generally titles are disallowed), but irritatingly I can't find any official Department of Internal Affairs documents.

The naming rules did make international headlines a while back though. 

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:29

Silly ruling. This won't take long to get overturned.

#27 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

Groovy !

• 7,586 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:45

Definately will be overturned.     There are a lot of Messiahs in USA already.

#28 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,646 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:12

While I don't necessarily agree with what the judge did or the reasoning behind it, I kind of think it should happen more often. People are getting a little too stupid with the names; like Rob Morrow's kid Tu Morrow, and Kim and Kanye's kid North West, or Moon Unit Zappa.

Parents should be allowed to name their children however they please, provided there isn't malice involved (i.e. child abuse). The last thing we need is for judges or governments to decide which names are or aren't appropriate.

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:22

Parents should be allowed to name their children however they please, provided there isn't malice involved (i.e. child abuse). The last thing we need is for judges or governments to decide which names are or aren't appropriate.

Some kind of control might be a good idea though, otherwise you DO get cases where ridiculous names lead to a life of hell for the kids as they grown up, even where malice wasn't intended.

I took a lot of crap for my name when I was growing up.  15+ years of bullying is NO fun, believe me.

Perhaps, rather than outright banning, when someone chooses an odd name for their kid, they should be sent an information leaflet explaining the possible ramifications of choosing that name and giving them an opportunity to reconsider.  An "are you really sure about that?" thing.

Also, people with odd names should stay away from certain professions!  I'm look at you, Dr De'Ath, my dentist! :p

#30 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:38

Just shorten the name to Mess. :p