germany electioneering european union regulations

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,013 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 13:46

Bavaria's state premier says he wants to charge non-Germans to use autobahns. Although he insists he is serious and will challenge European laws to implement the idea, others say it is just electioneering.

Horst Seehofer, head of the Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU) – the Bavarian arm of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc – is heading for almost certain victory in the state election on September 15. Part of his manifesto is to introduce a fee for non-German cars using autobahns.

He told the Bild daily newspaper that as Bavaria was a state that bordered lots of other countries where paying a fee for using the motorway was normal, it was only fair to charge foreigners for its autobahns.

“I, as head of the CSU, will not sign a coalition agreement in which there is no mention of introducing a car fee,” he said. The CSU is currently in a coalition with the Free Democratic Party (FDP) in Bavaria, but has often ruled alone.

The autobahn fee idea has caused friction among politicians, and even Seehofer admitted that such a fee would probably not be possible under European Union regulations.

“It is Bavarian election fight hullabaloo,” said Patrick Döring general secretary of the national FDP on Monady.

CDU transport politician Gero Storjohnn added that the plan “was not being taken as a serious suggestion.”

source

#2 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 19:27

I'll gladly pay. It can't be more expensive than toll highways in North America, so we are talking about a few euros here. One of my dreams is to drive a German car on the German roads!

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,730 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 12 August 2013 - 19:33

I'll gladly pay. It can't be more expensive than toll highways in North America, so we are talking about a few euros here. One of my dreams is to drive a German car on the German roads!

Depends - some highways are free to drive, others cost money. Where I live, it's mostly free, unless I hop I-90 (but I-90 goes from MA to WA, basically east coast to west coast). I've driven through some states that just kill you on the tolls (I'm looking at you Delaware). German cars (not VW. I mean Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Porsche) on the autobahn must be fun! I heard most of it is restricted these days (at least Top Gear said that). I do want to experience the Autobahn + Nurburgring at some point in my life.

#4 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,179 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 19:42

I would support this for sure!

#5 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,608 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:33

It's a stupid idea and it's impossible to implement - legally and practically.

#6 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:44

It's a stupid idea and it's impossible to implement - legally and practically.

Look up pike pass. It's really not.

#7 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:45

I heard most of it is restricted these days (at least Top Gear said that).

I was there about two years ago. Area's near cities and a lot of on/down ramps have speed limit signs on them. If you are in a mostly low population area with few of those, the restrictions are lifted.

#8 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 755 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:45

I am OK with it. When I visit Munich I use the trains anyway.

#9 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:53

Depends - some highways are free to drive, others cost money. Where I live, it's mostly free, unless I hop I-90 (but I-90 goes from MA to WA, basically east coast to west coast). I've driven through some states that just kill you on the tolls (I'm looking at you Delaware). German cars (not VW. I mean Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Porsche) on the autobahn must be fun! I heard most of it is restricted these days (at least Top Gear said that). I do want to experience the Autobahn + Nurburgring at some point in my life.

A few of the bridges around NYC have tolls of $13.  I found that out the hard way last summer, and needless to say, I died a little inside.

Around here, we pay 3 or 4 tolls when entering the Illinois border and then pay them all again when we re-enter Wisconsin.  The constant road construction makes it even more enjoyable. :)

#10 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 August 2013 - 20:57

A few of the bridges around NYC have tolls of $13.  I found that out the hard way last summer, and needless to say, I died a little inside.

Around here, we pay 3 or 4 tolls when entering the Illinois border and then pay them all again when we re-enter Wisconsin.  The constant road construction makes it even more enjoyable. :)

They just put in a toll road here in Raleigh. They extended the big loop highway and made the new portion toll. No one uses it. :laugh:

#11 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,730 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 12 August 2013 - 22:52

I was there about two years ago. Area's near cities and a lot of on/down ramps have speed limit signs on them. If you are in a mostly low population area with few of those, the restrictions are lifted.

Ah cool. I think they mentioned something about when it is unrestricted, there is a posted sign and it shows up on most modern cars' infotainment system and everyone just accelerates like hell. 

Tell me about it - not fun. Delaware is bad too, back when I traveled through it, it felt like there was a toll every quarter mile. Just so bad. Not sure how it is now, this was mid 2000's. Luckily I don't travel through it much anymore. 

Not a big fan of Wisconsin roads - very bumpy. Love the food and beer (cheese too), not so much the roads.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,013 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 22:57

I'll just rev my Lamborghini up to 120 mph and blow on by the tolls. :p

th?id=H.4668153813075770&pid=15.1&H=106&

#13 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 23:12

How's North America relevant? 

#14 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,037 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:06

Around here... the only highway (freeway) I have had to pay was on the 407 ETR... and it's automated.. such that you get a bill in the mail otherwise.. it's just a series of Freeways to get you places... and if you are with someone.. just hop in the carpool lane and beat all the traffic.

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 13:42

Ah cool. I think they mentioned something about when it is unrestricted, there is a posted sign and it shows up on most modern cars' infotainment system and everyone just accelerates like hell. 

Tell me about it - not fun. Delaware is bad too, back when I traveled through it, it felt like there was a toll every quarter mile. Just so bad. Not sure how it is now, this was mid 2000's. Luckily I don't travel through it much anymore. 

Not a big fan of Wisconsin roads - very bumpy. Love the food and beer (cheese too), not so much the roads.

Yep, Wisconsin definitely has the shi*tiest roads around.  We get 2 months of summer, 10 months of winter, and 12 months of road construction.  And the roads still suck.  :pinch: