Luma 925 or HTC 8X?

Which is better?

The 8X is quite cheap for me so I'm thinking of using it for a year and then getting whatever Nokia releases then. if I got the 925 it would be for 2 years. Tough choice?

Based on my experience (we have deployed 60 HTC 8X at work), avoid the 8X, it's prone to self bricking for no apparent reason (7 dead phones so far)

I went from the 710 to the 925 and I'm extremely happy with all aspects of the 925!

Feel fee to ask questions about the 925 and I'll answer them as best as I can!

I just purchased a 925 unlocked to replace my old WP7 Lumia 900 and couldn't be happier. The 925 is definitly awesome (I'm already using the camera way more then before because I can take actual decent shots)

GDR3 and WP8.1 is just around the corner though so getting the 8X as a stop gap makes some sense too.

Thanks for replying.

It's a tough choice cause 925 is  the better phone but I'll be stuck with it for 2 years. And the 8X is much cheaper and probably almost as good....

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get the 1020!!!

Build quality on the 925 is far far far superior. How long would you be stuck with the 8X for? I'd wait to see what the 930 is like in November with the high res screen/ quad core support coming then.

Build quality on the 925 is far far far superior. How long would you be stuck with the 8X for? I'd wait to see what the 930 is like in November with the high res screen/ quad core support coming then.

8X just for a year. I have to get it by mid-September cause my contract runs out then :( 

It depends on your carrier and how well they have been at getting the latest phones. My carrier is not likely to get another flagship phone for quite awhile so I went ahead and got the 925 and love it. If your set on getting a phone now, go with the 925. You get much better support, more apps, and will likely get more updates than the HTC ever will.

So don't waste your money at all on the HTC. Get the 925 or wait for a better Nokia phone if you expect your carrier to get one this fall.

When I upgraded 45 days ago it came down to personal preference:

The 8X is svelte, extremely lightweight, very attractively thin, and matches the Lumia 92x spec-for-spec.

The Lumia 92x (922/923/925/928) are very thick, physically weigh more, and are also less attractive.  The outer shell also varies depending on the carrier's inventory.

I went with the 8X and the only problems I ever encountered were not the device's fault!  Stupid app updates causing overheating then eventual bricking of device?  Check... not HTC's fault.  Cracked gorilla glass upon dropping from 3 feet?  Check... not HTC's fault.

(I was at the museum today and a friend noticed how slender the 8X was.  I said, "yup, and it does everything at the same quality as the Lumia, except it was a free upgrade from previous phone and works just the same otherwise.")

And matches the Lumia 92x spec-for-spec.

I said, "yup, and it does everything at the same quality as the Lumia"

That's not true at all.  The 8x is a decent phone but compared to the Lumia its screen is inferior, its camera is inferior, its microphone is inferior, it lacks wireless charging, etc. The Lumia 92x really is in a different league.

I own both of these devices, and in my opinion I would go for the HTC 8X.  The reasons for this are:

- The speed/responsiveness of the devices are the same

- The Lumia 925 has a PenTile amoled screen, so text looks fuzzy and everything is just more sharp and clear on the 8X

- The 8X is easier to use with one hand

- The smoothness of the 925 has made it slip out of my hand several times

BUT. The downside to getting a HTC device is they have a track record of dumping their devices and not updating them. It is not the case with the 8X so far (they have just started rolling out GDR2 update) but something to bear in mind.

Also, if you use in-car bluetooth, the 925 doesn't support rSAP so you can't make and receive calls via the car you have to do it on the handset. The 8X does support it however.

The camera in the 925 is very good though, and I prefer the buttons on the Nokia device too. They are more tactile than on the 8X.

Overall, they are very similar devices in spec so you are not losing out by getting the 8X, especially if you can get it on a cheaper deal. They are both good devices though.

• Like 2

That's not true at all.  The 8x is a decent phone but compared to the Lumia its screen is inferior, its camera is inferior, its microphone is inferior, it lacks wireless charging, etc. The Lumia 92x really is in a different league.

From my experience with both devices, the 8X's screen is more crisp and the mic is not hyper-sensitive (a good thing because people hate it when my whispers sound like I'm shouting at them!).  Wireless charging?  Whoop dee doo... If someone is not used to such First World Problems, then it's really a non-issue.

And the camera... Nokia's is so superior that their quick follow-up is the exact damn phone but upgraded to 41MP.  If the 92x camera was so good, why rush an upgrade?  The camera processors are indeed different -- if they weren't then this begs the question: why would both devices, if made to exacting specs, come in such a different casing?  Nokia made room for the 41MP, but the HTC 8X doesn't.  No big deal cuz, frankly, nobody needs to smell your pimples in that ultra-high-res blurry photo of what seems to be a human face next to a landmark of some kind.

(In case that wasn't clear: they both take awesome-quality photos that can be edited with software filters, but you should not blame the camera for poor photo-taking skills.)

Thanks for the posts everyone. I decided I'll stick with Nokia 'cause well, the 8X is kinda old and HTC don't support Windows Phones like Nokia do.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Nokia 920 for a while, then changed to the 8X.

Money isn't flowing too greatly in my household so I can never buy a phone new off the shelf - I have waited for up to 12 months before buying it before.

The 920 was great but I was annoyed that many of the "exclusive apps" were still asking for a fee.  I guess that was my naivety.  In the end I sent it back as I simply couldn't afford to keep it, despite the greatness of the camera.

I opted for the 8X.  Obviously similar in the way it works, the camera isn't as great and the Beats Audio seems to do nothing.  In hindsight I should have stuck with the 920 but I wouldn't have used the charging pillow (?70 additional cost), and therefore the weight wasn't worth it.

HTC may not support their phones "as much as Nokia" but I have the GDR-2 update and will expect the GDR-3 soon.  However being sim free helps a lot, hence I buy my phones straight from Amazon or wherever.

But in a year, year and a half, I'd be looking to go back to the Lumia range of phones as I still like their look.

I have an 8X and it's been fine, though I do wish I had all the added Nokia bits.  Anyways, the point is going to be moot soon anyways with MS buying Nokias hardware division.  Next year should be interesting with WP8.1 and what they do with it. 

As a former 8X owner (it was stolen :/), I'm happy I moved to Nokia (have a 520 atm) and I'll be getting a 925 when it becomes available in Holland.