XBOX One will work without Kinect plugged in

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways ? from the ability to say ?Xbox On? and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound ? no searching for special buttons! Of course ? these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn?t plugged in, although you won?t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Now that that's cleared up, I'm sure people will move on to complaining about it being mandatory to purchase.

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Now that that's cleared up, I'm sure people will move on to complaining about it being mandatory to purchase.

Well, you still have to purchase it, for now anyway. But it's good that you don't have to connect it.

It is pretty stupid you have to pay an extra 100$ for it.. 

Not entirely.  Developers can count on every single Xbox owner to have one.  Gives them the leeway to actually use it in development.

• Like 2

Not entirely.  Developers can count on every single Xbox owner to have one.  Gives them the leeway to actually use it in development.

Unless it's built in.. it's very very bad practice to assume and expect players/users to have something.

Unless it's built in.. it's very very bad practice to assume and expect players/users to have something.

Not when it comes with the console.  Everyone has access to it then.  If they want to utilize it for an aspect of the game, they can and should, and now can do so without having to worry about disenfranchising a group of people because everyone has it.

Not when it comes with the console.  Everyone has access to it then.  If they want to utilize it for an aspect of the game, they can and should, and now can do so without having to worry about disenfranchising a group of people because everyone has it.

I'm going to agree with you here. But it still sucks that to accomplish this you "have" to pay an extra $100, for now. Maybe a year in MS will release a SKU without it.

That's the SKU i'm waiting for (well not really, just not getting it till next year when I figured it's cheaper and probably that's a result of why it's cheaper, no included Kinnect).

Figured maybe by then it will be a bit smaller too :p

You do know that even before this there were plenty of people complaining about this gimmicky device being forced upon them by being included in the box, right?

I'm going to agree with you here. But it still sucks that to accomplish this you "have" to pay an extra $100, for now. Maybe a year in MS will release a SKU without it.

I doubt it.  It would defeat the entire purpose of including it in the first place.  It would be nice if the console were cheaper, but I think it'll be worth it.  Kinect 2 is a huge upgrade.

Except it's not.  At all.

When items become optional, they become expensive pieces of dust.  

Xbox Vision

PS Eye (the PS2 and PS3 version)

Kinect v1 (Kinect v2 will be joining it's predecessor.)

PS Move.

When mandated it kinda works out.

WiiMote/Motion plus = Zelda Skyward classic

Expansion Pak N64 = games got enhanced such as:

007: The World is Not Enough

All-Star Baseball 2000

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Command and Conquer

CyberTiger

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

Excitebike 64

F-1 World Grand Prix

Gauntlet Legends

Hybrid Heaven

Hydro Thunder

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

Indy Racing 2000

International Track & Field 2000

Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000

John Romero's Daikatana

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest

Madden NFL 2001

Mega Man 64

Namco Museum 64

NFL Quarterback Club '98

NFL Quarterback Club '99

NFL Quarterback Club 2000

NFL Quarterback Club 2001

Nuclear Strike 64

Pok?mon Stadium 2

Quake II

Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Re-Volt

Resident Evil 2

Road Rash 64

Roadsters Trophy

San Francisco Rush 2049

Shadow Man

South Park

Star Wars Episode I: Racer

Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Stunt Racer 64

Supercross 2000

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Top Gear Hyper-Bike

Top Gear Overdrive

Top Gear Rally 2

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion

Turok: Rage Wars

Vigilante 8

Xbox Live Gold for Multiplayer/netflix/etc = 300K server and rising

Why should I even bother now...

It's just a PS4 with a different name... so sad

Killer Instinct and XBL beg to differ. It's ultimately about the software. A handful of software is why I have and will keep a PS3. The problem with Kinect is that there is no software that will make me want to use it any time soon. I'd rather go to the gym and play games with the Xbox Controller.

When items become optional, they become expensive pieces of dust.  

Xbox Vision

PS Eye (the PS2 and PS3 version)

Kinect v1 (Kinect v2 will be joining it's predecessor.)

PS Move.

When mandated it kinda works out.

WiiMote/Motion plus = Zelda Skyward classic

Expansion Pak N64 = games got enhanced such as:

007: The World is Not Enough

All-Star Baseball 2000

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Command and Conquer

CyberTiger

Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

Excitebike 64

F-1 World Grand Prix

Gauntlet Legends

Hybrid Heaven

Hydro Thunder

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

Indy Racing 2000

International Track & Field 2000

Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000

John Romero's Daikatana

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest

Madden NFL 2001

Mega Man 64

Namco Museum 64

NFL Quarterback Club '98

NFL Quarterback Club '99

NFL Quarterback Club 2000

NFL Quarterback Club 2001

Nuclear Strike 64

Pok?mon Stadium 2

Quake II

Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Re-Volt

Resident Evil 2

Road Rash 64

Roadsters Trophy

San Francisco Rush 2049

Shadow Man

South Park

Star Wars Episode I: Racer

Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Stunt Racer 64

Supercross 2000

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Top Gear Hyper-Bike

Top Gear Overdrive

Top Gear Rally 2

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion

Turok: Rage Wars

Vigilante 8

Xbox Live Gold for Multiplayer/netflix/etc = 300K server and rising

Why would Kinect 2 be more like Kinect 1 than like N64 expansion pack.  You didn't have to buy the expansion pack, but some games required it.  In Kinect's case, everyone has it, so games can more easily require it without having to disenfranchise people.

I'm not sure what your point is.  You should be buying consoles because you want to play certain games on them.  This news shouldn't change that.

Why would Kinect 2 be more like Kinect 1 than like N64 expansion pack.  You didn't have to buy the expansion pack, but some games required it.  In Kinect's case, everyone has it, so games can more easily require it without having to disenfranchise people.

I'm not sure what your point is.  You should be buying consoles because you want to play certain games on them.  This news shouldn't change that.

The moment that they said that Xbox One can function with pout Kinect plugged in, it became an optional device.

That is also the moment that future games just became Kinectless... Because it is now optional (even though being in every box)

I was Ready to go for next Gen, if you see my Amazon orders, I was amped. My pre-order still stands as of this moment.

GAMESCON is the make or break for me.

Yes it's still better than a PS4 to me, but only now barely better than a 360.

Do you guys really.....REALLY think there will be amazing Kinect titles, even if it is forced on consumers?  For multi-platform games, do you honestly expect companies to spend thousands and thousands of dollars JUST for Kinect when their PS4, WiiU, and/or PC version does not have that?

The moment that they said that Xbox One can function with pout Kinect plugged in, it became an optional device.

That is also the moment that future games just became Kinectless... Because it is now optional (even though being in every box)

I was Ready to go for next Gen, if you see my Amazon orders, I was amped. My pre-order still stands as of this moment.

GAMESCON is the make or break for me.

Yes it's still better than a PS4 to me, but only now barely better than a 360.

No - optional/required is up to the developers.  It always was.  This news doesn't change a thing.  If a developer wants to require Kinect to play they can, and they can be rest assured that everyone has a Kinect because it comes with Xbox One.  If they choose to require it, then you have to plug in the Kinect to play the game in the first place.  That's how this system always worked.  Even before this news you could turn the Kinect completely off as long as you weren't playing a game that required it.  There's no difference now.

• Like 1

Saying the Kinect is now an optional device is like saying the Controller is an optional device. - You could navigate the Xbox One only using Kinect!

Just because it doesn't need to be plugged in to use some of the Xbox's functionality doesn't mean developers suddenly can't count on everyone having it. They can still count on every owner of an Xbox One to own a Kinect - all they have to do is plug it in >.<

Saying otherwise is like saying Netflix can't build their app around using a controller because you can turn the controller off - it's just stupid.

Do you guys really.....REALLY think there will be amazing Kinect titles, even if it is forced on consumers?  For multi-platform games, do you honestly expect companies to spend thousands and thousands of dollars JUST for Kinect when their PS4, WiiU, and/or PC version does not have that?

Why YES...

I'm more ticked because developers are gonna look at it, and think that 80% of Kinects aren't gonna be plugged in, vs "we know that 100% of Kinects will be plugged in"

And the PC, PS4, & Wii U, not having it means that developers should develope for the Xbox One first and strip out the goods for those who don't have the goods...

Xbox One still the best value. Most of what I wanted is gone, or borderline gone. Which when I think about it, that makes the comp look sad....

HEY SPENSER.D!!! I just might keep the darn thing... Your arguments are convincing...If I do, you have to friend request me (diezel78)... And no, I'm not creepy... I just happen to be the weakest link when gaming....

It is pretty stupid you have to pay an extra 100$ for it..

You are paying extra for that useless LED and "gimmicky" touchpad in PS4 controller, is that stupid too?

You are paying extra for that useless LED and "gimmicky" touchpad in PS4 controller, is that stupid too?

Yep.  Unfortunately it's built into the controller.. I am not sure what kind of saving they could have gotten by removing it.

Am I missing something?... All I hear is bring on next gen, and when something different is brought to th table... Sll I hear is, nobody wants that. That's so stupid, y'all don't listen to y'all fan base... What's the point of even bothering if all everyone wants is a PS3.5 and Xbox540 (360+180, or half of 360, for those who don't get it).

New graphics card is all people really want and nothing more.

Who wants to bet that Microsoft reverses on more XBox stuff:

- 3rd party apps, IE & Skype no longer behind the XBL Gold paywall
- Kinect-less SKU
- Removed ads from XBox UI