• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#166 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 August 2013 - 21:15

Source: http://ca.ign.com/ar...-about-xbox-one

Now that that's cleared up, I'm sure people will move on to complaining about it being mandatory to purchase.

even infowars.com caught this story. But good heads up Giantpotato!

#167 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 August 2013 - 13:38

You guys really need to stop comparing the Kinect 2 to the first one and past experiences with it.  They're not the same anymore, the new one can do more, track more and has it's own processing hardware so it doesn't suffer from issues the original did.  Just going off of that comparing the new to the old and saying "well the first one sucked so the new one will to" is silly. 

How about we just wait and see what developers do with it?  We're not even into the next gen yet so we don't know what plans they have so far.  Even generally speaking, writing off something because the original version of it didn't do so well doesn't hold true.  If that was the case Android would've gone nowhere, or has everyone forgotten how ###### poor it was at v1.x?  

Debating weather or not it's good business wise to keep it bundled in a SKU is a different subject really,  and that's up to personal taste actually.  Maybe all it takes is for a new game to use it in a few cool ways to get people who would otherwise leave it in the box to take it out and try it?  Maybe after that they'll end up using it more where they didn't use the first one at all or skipped it?  It doesn't take much to spark interest in something if you get more people to use it.  Only time will tell though,  personally I'm looking forward to what developers can come up with now that they have a much more capable and powerful version without the issues of the first.

#168 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 16 August 2013 - 19:59

How about we just wait and see what developers do with it?

That is my issue though. What are developers going to do with it? Right now we haven't seen anything worthwhile outside of the Xbox UI that utilizes it. Then they force it on users and we're supposed to just accept "don't worry, it won't suck like Kinect 1"?

#169 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 August 2013 - 20:26

That is my issue though. What are developers going to do with it? Right now we haven't seen anything worthwhile outside of the Xbox UI that utilizes it. Then they force it on users and we're supposed to just accept "don't worry, it won't suck like Kinect 1"?

This is the same around and around chicken and the egg argument.

Developers require users and users require developers.

I don't know the answer, but it seems clear that MS thinks that this is the only way to insure the platform gets the attention it needs to do something better then it did this gen. It would be easier for us if we could see new content built using the new Kinect hardware, but all we have right now is ui demos.

This topic is probably the most frustrating in my opinion.  Mostly because we don't have a lot of hard facts to go on, just a lot of feelings and assumptions.  All we can do is voice our concern and buy what we feel has value.  If you don't see the value, you don't see the value.  If you do, you do. Sometimes people buy because they think something will offer them value beyond what they see now.  Heck, many early adopters of consoles buy for that reason.  Call them tech enthusiasts, early adopters, idiots, whatever. 

For me as a gamer and general consumer, I'm not put off by the lack of Kinect content at launch.  I do feel it would be a whole lot better if there was at least announcements or demos of what is to come, so I hope we see some of that before launch.  It doesn't have to be something that use Kinect exclusively either, just demos of how it can add to the overall experience. 

#170 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 16 August 2013 - 20:55

Hence the point in bundling it.

#171 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:10

Hence the point in bundling it.

Bundling is pointless though.  With the ability to disconnect Kinect, it becomes useless to bundle the accessory.  Why?  Developers will need get usage stats.  If X Xbox Ones are sold and only 10% (or some low percentage) are have ever used Kinect, developers will not waste their time.  No matter if it is bundled.  The people that do not want Kinect are not going to buy games that require Kinect (I know I won't).

So bundling is a useless thing from a developers point of view.  

This is like saying developers need to jump ship and develop only for Windows 8 because of all the sales statistics Microsoft has mentioned.  And even though it is very very common that any new computer will come with Windows 8.  Um no.  As a developer, I still target XP, Vista, and 7 since that is where the marketshare is.

Developers are taught to keep an eye on usage and marketshare stats.  Just because Kinect is bundled, does not mean developers will take advantage of it.  Since Kinect can be disconnected, bundling it does nothing for developers.  How do developers know people just didn't stick it in their closet the day they got it and never want to use it?

This is why it does not make sense to bundle it.  The fact that you guys say Kinect 1 is the fastest selling accessory of all time means Kinect can sell itself.  

Selling after the fact gives developers a much more guarantee than a bundle.  Why?  Well the people that actually purchase Kinect separately are USUALLY ones that WANT the device.  Now there will be some that would buy it and hate it.  But bundling it is worse in this area.

#172 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:27

Steel Battalion had reliable controls?! Did you play a special copy the rest of us didn't? :laugh:

Thanks for posting that, I love Angry Joe. Couldn't stop laughing as his character kept reaching for every stupid knob and handle in sight! :laugh:

#173 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:01

Bundling is pointless though.  With the ability to disconnect the controller, it becomes useless to bundle the accessory.  Why?  Developers will need get usage stats.  If X Xbox Ones are sold and only 10% (or some low percentage) are have ever used the controller, developers will not waste their time.  No matter if it is bundled.  The people that do not want the controller are not going to buy games that require the controller (I know I won't).at actually purchase the controller separately are USUALLY ones that WANT the device.  Now there will be some that would buy it and hate it.  But bundling it is worse in this area.

alternative version of your meaningless rant. which completely fails to understand the need and reason beyond bundling and the effect it will have. 

#174 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:25

Bundling is pointless though.  With the ability to disconnect Kinect, it becomes useless to bundle the accessory.  Why?  Developers will need get usage stats.  If X Xbox Ones are sold and only 10% (or some low percentage) are have ever used Kinect, developers will not waste their time.  No matter if it is bundled.  The people that do not want Kinect are not going to buy games that require Kinect (I know I won't).

This is like saying developers need to jump ship and develop only for Windows 8 because of all the sales statistics Microsoft has mentioned.  And even though it is very very common that any new computer will come with Windows 8.  Um no.  As a developer, I still target XP, Vista, and 7 since that is where the marketshare is.

Developers are taught to keep an eye on usage and marketshare stats.  Just because Kinect is bundled, does not mean developers will take advantage of it.  Since Kinect can be disconnected, bundling it does nothing for developers.  How do developers know people just didn't stick it in their closet the day they got it and never want to use it?

This is why it does not make sense to bundle it.  The fact that you guys say Kinect 1 is the fastest selling accessory of all time means Kinect can sell itself.  

Selling after the fact gives developers a much more guarantee than a bundle.  Why?  Well the people that actually purchase Kinect separately are USUALLY ones that WANT the device.  Now there will be some that would buy it and hate it.  But bundling it is worse in this area.

Kinect bundling is the rock and the hard place... Everything you said makes sense. There is the great divide when it comes to Kinect. Some dont want to flail limbs, some do. Some feel its worth it to have a personal experience with the X1 (voice, chat, video, etc), others care less. But MS is guaranteeing all developers (Indie all the way up to AAA) that everyone has an Xbox One. It's DNA, is inside the Xbox One itself. I would like to see more Kinect footage on games as much as everyone else, but I have learned to be patient. There is Gamescom & TGS to do this. They could have another private showing and dedicate it to the Kinect. With 3months to go, I can be a tad bit patient.

Kinect v2, is what help makes the X1 different. Something that makes it stand out.

#175 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:54

Here is my guess: Most people will keep it kinected because it came with the system. There will be a minority (tin foil types etc) who will bitch and moan about it and keep it in a closet/sell it "on principle".

99% will use it and rest 1% won't matter in the big picture.

#176 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:57

Here is my guess: Most people will keep it kinected because it came with the system. There will be a minority (tin foil types etc) who will bitch and moan about it and keep it in a closet/sell it "on principle".

99% will use it and rest 1% won't matter in the big picture.

You're forgetting people like me. I have my TV wall mounted, and all my AV equipment over the other side of the room, connected by a single HDMI cable. If it's not wireless, it's going nowhere near my TV.

My Kinect will stay in the box. I never used the current Kinect, and I'm 99% sure I wont use this one. That's not because of NSA tin-foil-hat-ness, it's because I don't want to.

#177 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:59

Bundling is pointless though. With the ability to disconnect Kinect, it becomes useless to bundle the accessory. Why? Developers will need get usage stats. If X Xbox Ones are sold and only 10% (or some low percentage) are have ever used Kinect, developers will not waste their time. No matter if it is bundled. The people that do not want Kinect are not going to buy games that require Kinect (I know I won't).

This is like saying developers need to jump ship and develop only for Windows 8 because of all the sales statistics Microsoft has mentioned. And even though it is very very common that any new computer will come with Windows 8. Um no. As a developer, I still target XP, Vista, and 7 since that is where the marketshare is.

Developers are taught to keep an eye on usage and marketshare stats. Just because Kinect is bundled, does not mean developers will take advantage of it. Since Kinect can be disconnected, bundling it does nothing for developers. How do developers know people just didn't stick it in their closet the day they got it and never want to use it?

This is why it does not make sense to bundle it. The fact that you guys say Kinect 1 is the fastest selling accessory of all time means Kinect can sell itself.

Selling after the fact gives developers a much more guarantee than a bundle. Why? Well the people that actually purchase Kinect separately are USUALLY ones that WANT the device. Now there will be some that would buy it and hate it. But bundling it is worse in this area.

Not accurate - just knowing that everyone has one is enough because if a game requires it for anything, you have to plug it in to play it. Its no different than when it had to be plugged in all the time really.

#178 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:17

You're forgetting people like me. I have my TV wall mounted, and all my AV equipment over the other side of the room, connected by a single HDMI cable. If it's not wireless, it's going nowhere near my TV.

My Kinect will stay in the box. I never used the current Kinect, and I'm 99% sure I wont use this one. That's not because of NSA tin-foil-hat-ness, it's because I don't want to.

I covered you in "etc" :p

#179 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 17 August 2013 - 13:09

Kinect v2 is part of Xbox One. From the ground up. if Kinect is not wanted by people, then to a degree, people don't really want an Xbox One. Both were built with each other, what happens to one happens to the other (updates,etc) for the next 7-10yrs.

Just don't get an Xbox. There are a ton of gaming platforms, and they have amazing games as well.

NSA, spy cam, I don't wanna flail limbs, I don't wanna talk to the Xbox, I don't want to (insert what you don't want to do here)
I just want to game.

Either get a Xbox One and game. Or get another console and game.

It's either buy the console that comes with a camera. Or buy another console that doesn't come with a camera.

#180 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 August 2013 - 13:48

Kinect v2 is part of Xbox One. From the ground up. if Kinect is not wanted by people, then to a degree, people don't really want an Xbox One. Both were built with each other, what happens to one happens to the other (updates,etc) for the next 7-10yrs.

Just don't get an Xbox. There are a ton of gaming platforms, and they have amazing games as well.

NSA, spy cam, I don't wanna flail limbs, I don't wanna talk to the Xbox, I don't want to (insert what you don't want to do here)
I just want to game.

Either get a Xbox One and game. Or get another console and game.

It's either buy the console that comes with a camera. Or buy another console that doesn't come with a camera.

Complete nonsense :sleep: The whole post, but particularly the part I've made bold.