XBOX One will work without Kinect plugged in

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#16 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 13 August 2013 - 00:52

Why would Kinect 2 be more like Kinect 1 than like N64 expansion pack.  You didn't have to buy the expansion pack, but some games required it.  In Kinect's case, everyone has it, so games can more easily require it without having to disenfranchise people.

I'm not sure what your point is.  You should be buying consoles because you want to play certain games on them.  This news shouldn't change that.

The moment that they said that Xbox One can function with pout Kinect plugged in, it became an optional device.
That is also the moment that future games just became Kinectless... Because it is now optional (even though being in every box)

I was Ready to go for next Gen, if you see my Amazon orders, I was amped. My pre-order still stands as of this moment.
GAMESCON is the make or break for me.

Yes it's still better than a PS4 to me, but only now barely better than a 360.

#17 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:03

Do you guys really.....REALLY think there will be amazing Kinect titles, even if it is forced on consumers?  For multi-platform games, do you honestly expect companies to spend thousands and thousands of dollars JUST for Kinect when their PS4, WiiU, and/or PC version does not have that?

#18 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06

The moment that they said that Xbox One can function with pout Kinect plugged in, it became an optional device.
That is also the moment that future games just became Kinectless... Because it is now optional (even though being in every box)

I was Ready to go for next Gen, if you see my Amazon orders, I was amped. My pre-order still stands as of this moment.
GAMESCON is the make or break for me.

Yes it's still better than a PS4 to me, but only now barely better than a 360.

No - optional/required is up to the developers.  It always was.  This news doesn't change a thing.  If a developer wants to require Kinect to play they can, and they can be rest assured that everyone has a Kinect because it comes with Xbox One.  If they choose to require it, then you have to plug in the Kinect to play the game in the first place.  That's how this system always worked.  Even before this news you could turn the Kinect completely off as long as you weren't playing a game that required it.  There's no difference now.

#19 Undead Steve

Undead Steve

O.O

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06

Saying the Kinect is now an optional device is like saying the Controller is an optional device. - You could navigate the Xbox One only using Kinect!

Just because it doesn't need to be plugged in to use some of the Xbox's functionality doesn't mean developers suddenly can't count on everyone having it. They can still count on every owner of an Xbox One to own a Kinect - all they have to do is plug it in >.<

Saying otherwise is like saying Netflix can't build their app around using a controller because you can turn the controller off - it's just stupid.

#20 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:34

Do you guys really.....REALLY think there will be amazing Kinect titles, even if it is forced on consumers?  For multi-platform games, do you honestly expect companies to spend thousands and thousands of dollars JUST for Kinect when their PS4, WiiU, and/or PC version does not have that?

Why YES...

I'm more ticked because developers are gonna look at it, and think that 80% of Kinects aren't gonna be plugged in, vs "we know that 100% of Kinects will be plugged in"

And the PC, PS4, & Wii U, not having it means that developers should develope for the Xbox One first and strip out the goods for those who don't have the goods...

Xbox One still the best value. Most of what I wanted is gone, or borderline gone. Which when I think about it, that makes the comp look sad....

HEY SPENSER.D!!! I just might keep the darn thing... Your arguments are convincing...If I do, you have to friend request me (diezel78)... And no, I'm not creepy... I just happen to be the weakest link when gaming....

#21 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:10

It is pretty stupid you have to pay an extra 100$ for it..

You are paying extra for that useless LED and "gimmicky" touchpad in PS4 controller, is that stupid too?

#22 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:23

You are paying extra for that useless LED and "gimmicky" touchpad in PS4 controller, is that stupid too?

Yep.  Unfortunately it's built into the controller.. I am not sure what kind of saving they could have gotten by removing it.

#23 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:54

Am I missing something?... All I hear is bring on next gen, and when something different is brought to th table... Sll I hear is, nobody wants that. That's so stupid, y'all don't listen to y'all fan base... What's the point of even bothering if all everyone wants is a PS3.5 and Xbox540 (360+180, or half of 360, for those who don't get it).

New graphics card is all people really want and nothing more.

#24 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:07

I like how Microsoft is essentially going through a checklist of complaints about the Xbox One, crossing them out one by one. (Y)

#25 CygnusOrion

CygnusOrion

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:09

Who wants to bet that Microsoft reverses on more XBox stuff:

- 3rd party apps, IE & Skype no longer behind the XBL Gold paywall
- Kinect-less SKU
- Removed ads from XBox UI

#26 CygnusOrion

CygnusOrion

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:10

I like how Microsoft is essentially going through a checklist of complaints about the Xbox One, crossing them out one by one. (Y)

A checklist of anti-consumer items created by the Mattrick regime and now being reversed by the Larsen-Green regime.

#27 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:23

Who wants to bet that Microsoft reverses on more XBox stuff:

- 3rd party apps, IE & Skype no longer behind the XBL Gold paywall
- Kinect-less SKU
- Removed ads from XBox UI

I'd actually like to see them stick to their guns on the Kinect, if only for proof as to whether or not it's actually worth all the time and money they've invested into it if it's not something the gaming community will embrace.

Lowering the great paywall of Microsoft wouldn't be so bad though, even if only for Netflix/Hulu.

#28 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:47

Who wants to bet that Microsoft reverses on more XBox stuff:[/size]- 3rd party apps, IE & Skype no longer behind the XBL Gold paywall[/size]- Kinect-less SKU[/size]- Removed ads from XBox UI[/size]

MS have only reversed one thing and that was the DRM.

#29 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:01

I'm going to agree with you here. But it still sucks that to accomplish this you "have" to pay an extra $100, for now. Maybe a year in MS will release a SKU without it.

A year in I bet MS has lowered the price for it to where it's not an issue.  Everyone seems to be comparing this to the PS4 price, if a year from now they're both the same price but you still get Kinect as part of the XB1 then that looks like a huge deal to most and not the other way around.

#30 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:58

A year in I bet MS has lowered the price for it to where it's not an issue.  Everyone seems to be comparing this to the PS4 price, if a year from now they're both the same price but you still get Kinect as part of the XB1 then that looks like a huge deal to most and not the other way around.

The price reduction combined with not having to connect it would work as well. I don't think it's a PS4 price comparison. $499 is high, particularly if you have no interest in Kinect.