19 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:18

Microsoft to pull the plug on Galactic Reign for Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone
by John Callaham

In March, Microsoft announced, with some amount of fanfare, the release of Galactic Reign. Developed by Slant Six Games, the turn-based space strategy game was launched for Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone platforms, with cross-platform multiplayer.

Microsoft hyped up the fact that Galactic Reign used cloud-based servers to generate its movie-like combat sequences. However, it appears that dependence on the cloud was its Achilles heel.

Microsoft announced on its Xbox forums that Galactic Reign will be removed from the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store after August 15th. The game will not be available for re-download after that date as well, so if you buy the game now, you will need to keep it stored on your PC hard drive or your phone's on-board storage to keep playing.

However, that play time will be limited. Microsoft has also announced the game servers will shut down after December 31st.

Microsoft didn't offer a reason behind the decision in its brief message board post, saying only that it was "proud of the game." The post added, "Galactic Reign was a great cloud-based video rendering game exploration that we are going to bring to a close." It seems clear that the game simply did not have enough of an audience to keep the cloud-based servers going.

Source: Xbox Forums via WPCentral.com

#2 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,800 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:02

This is even worse than EA. The game is less than a year old, and it sucks it's being killed off already, I really enjoy playing it.

They really should offer a refund. I bought a game, not an "exploration" of cloud technology.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,894 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 18:38

"I'm so sick of people talking about Microsoft turning off servers! It just won't happen! Azure ftw!!1!" - silly short-sighted Neowin members ;)

In all seriousness, it's not a surprise. Slant Six has had failure after failure for the last 4 years and without them around to actively support it any more it's inevitable they'd close it. IIRC Sony have announced all Slant Six games and their servers are turning off between now and 2014 too.

Can't wait for those next-gen cloud games!

#4 goatsniffer

goatsniffer

Supercalifragilisticexpialidosh

• 1,091 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:01

This is the reason the "cloud-based" gaming of the upcoming consoles is a bad idea for consumers. Obsolescence can now be forced by the flip of a switch. 

#5 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,727 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:14

"I'm so sick of people talking about Microsoft turning off servers! It just won't happen! Azure ftw!!1!" - silly short-sighted Neowin members ;)
Can't wait for those next-gen cloud games!

Too bad the games work just fine without the cloud stuff...The type of cloud computing the xbone does isn't REQUIRED. If it's available then the game will look better, if not then it just won't look its best.

This game, on the other hand, is completely cloud based afaik. It's like WoW, when Blizzard shuts those servers off then the game also goes bye bye.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,894 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 16:59

Too bad the games work just fine without the cloud stuff...The type of cloud computing the xbone does isn't REQUIRED. If it's available then the game will look better, if not then it just won't look its best.

This game, on the other hand, is completely cloud based afaik. It's like WoW, when Blizzard shuts those servers off then the game also goes bye bye.

Neither result is a good thing?

Also, I didn't say games would stop working. However, in some cases I imagine they will if they are heavily MP focused.

#7 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:31

Also, I didn't say games would stop working. However, in some cases I imagine they will if they are heavily MP focused.

MP focused games will always stop working when the servers are turned off, it's been that way since like 1995. Some games used to give you the option to directly connect via IP, but it's hard to find that nowadays.

When EA shuts off BF3 servers, there goes to MP. If Valve shuts off the CS 1.6 servers, there goes CS 1.6.

Every game has been like that for over a decade now. And it's no different with the Xbone, just that if your game takes advantage of the cloud processing and the servers are turned off then the game just won't look that good. You can still play it just fine.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,894 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:39

MP focused games will always stop working when the servers are turned off, it's been that way since like 1995. Some games used to give you the option to directly connect via IP, but it's hard to find that nowadays.

When EA shuts off BF3 servers, there goes to MP. If Valve shuts off the CS 1.6 servers, there goes CS 1.6.

Every game has been like that for over a decade now. And it's no different with the Xbone, just that if your game takes advantage of the cloud processing and the servers are turned off then the game just won't look that good. You can still play it just fine.

Well maybe that needs to change seeing as home internet connections are far more capable than they were in 1995.

But my point still stands, if a silly RT game couldn't escape it then it's very possible for an X1/PS4 game could end up the same.

#9 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 19:41

Well maybe that needs to change seeing as home internet connections are far more capable than they were in 1995.

But my point still stands, if a silly RT game couldn't escape it then it's very possible for an X1/PS4 game could end up the same.

Yeah they really need to bring back direct connections.

And yeah some games may end up getting axed but it's all down to costs. If a game does well, then the studio supports it (for the most part, there are some studios that really don't care)...but if a game does poorly then the management will go why are we still spending money on this game? Axe it.

#10 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,178 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:52

I don't know about BF3, but I'm pretty sure people can host their own CS 1.6 servers. There are games like MMOs that can't run without online servers (and even those can be emulated), but the majority of PC shooters should survive the death of official support as long as they're not DRM infested.

#11 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,697 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:59

Isn't this more the developer, slant six, not having the money to pay for the servers anymore?  Why are we pointing fingers at MS?   Was this a first party title or just something MS highlighted because it was new in what it did?  Anyways, this is why I don't care much for MP games or MP in general.  SP FTW!

And no, I don't think this is the same as what XB1 games will do in the future.   Optionally offloading parts of the game to Azure if you can is one thing, but this had most of the game up on the cloud from what I remember.  It's apples to oranges actually.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,697 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:01

I don't know about BF3, but I'm pretty sure people can host their own CS 1.6 servers. There are games like MMOs that can't run without online servers (and even those can be emulated), but the majority of PC shooters should survive the death of official support as long as they're not DRM infested.

His point though was that any game that is heavily MP/server based, like any MMO or a MP only type RTS/FPS and so on, will stop playing when you take away the servers.   There's just no way around that, and maybe they let you run your own private servers, but that's not the norm anymore.  At some point BF3 will suffer the same fate, maybe by then we'll be talking about BF5 or 6 or who knows what, but it happens to multiplayer heavy games at some point in the future.

#13 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

I've been assured by DRM/Online Verification apologists that incidents like this will never happen.

#14 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

What a joke. Its not like the servers were even rapid at processing with random errors often cropping up. So I paid for a game and now they just decide to flip the off switch? Isn't cloud gaming great? I imagine most of the original Xbox one games were designed like this with cloud gaming core to their functionality (forza) and they would just stop functioning altogether once the servers are prematurely retired. Thank god the internet stood against the idea.

#15 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:05

May want to check your facts. Forza (and I imagine many other xbone games) was originally planned as an always on game and now requires a day one patch to enable offline play after Microsofts U-turn.