Photo

Getting a Surface RT: is it a wise investment?

surface rt

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:33

For a study which I am going to do, I can get the discounted Surface RT for the MS student pricetag (around 200 EUR).

I already have a decent and good notebook/gaming machine.

Is this Surface RT a wise investment for study purposes? To simply get it along in class, create some Word, Excel documents etc. for the course; not too big and heavy to carry it?

Or can I better invest 'a little' extra and go for a ZenBook, VivoBook or alike?

Can Windows 8.1 and further Windows editions run on it?

And... can it be upgraded to the Windows 8 regular/pro edition, or is this, because of the ARM-structure, not possible?

#2 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:37

I have a xps 10  which runs windows 8 rt so I can answer your questions. If you are using it for class then it rocks for that purpose since it comes with office .  one note rt allows you to use a capacitive stylus to write notes.  Yes windows rt will be upgraded to 8.1 when it is released to the Microsoft store. I wouldn't suggest installing the beta right now. 

I think it is perfect for what you need it for. If you have any questions let me know.

#3 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:38

Windows 8.1 RT will run on it. The Surface RT can't run full Windows.

Personally I like Windows RT, so I would say if you can get it cheap, why not. It's going to be more useful than a Nexus 7, and with Office, probably more useful for school than an iPad. They're well built too, although I would go with the full keyboard (the Type, not the Touch) if you really want to use it full time.

#4 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:40

For the purposes you mentioned, buy it if you can get a good price. If you want it for more, wait for the second iteration with more horsepower. If there is no second iteration, it's not a wise investment for anything more than a study :)

#5 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:44

if you loves in quicky small games, yes
games is the most dominant apps in RT store.

if you want to invest how-to knowledge in RT so you can use later for works? no.
you better getting a real laptop for that.

#6 1ON

1ON

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 820

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:45

I've been using my Surface RT now for 6 months + and I love it! Always getting people asking me what it is in meetings or on the train. Especially with Office 2013 now it really makes the any other device look completely out of date if you want to do work.

#7 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:46

For that price, sure!

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:48

For a study which I am going to do, I can get the discounted Surface RT for the MS student pricetag (around 200 EUR).

Is this Surface RT a wise investment for study purposes? To simply get it along in class, create some Word, Excel documents etc. for the course; not too big and heavy to carry it?

Or can I better invest 'a little' extra and go for a ZenBook, VivoBook or alike?

And... can it be upgraded to the Windows 8 regular/pro edition, or is this, because of the ARM-structure, not possible?

I love my RT, and bought it specifically to take to class. It's light, doesn't make any noise, and extremely easy to carry.

Yes, it'll run 8.1, but it WILL NOT run Windows 8 Pro. It is an ARM device, not an x64 device. If you need x64, Surface Pro is your best option.

#9 OP kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:49

It's the 32 GB model... still a good deal?

And can I use just an extra SD-card for more storage?

#10 DarkNet

DarkNet

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:51

Hey for your purposes, the Surface RT will be fine. It is the same reason why I bought my Samsung Chromebook. It does everything I need it to for situations like these. Price is great and extremely light and thin when carying around. When I am home or have an important meeting to go to that requires more power, that's when I use my Windows 7 Core i7 laptop.

#11 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:51

It's the 32 GB model... still a good deal?

And can I use just an extra SD-card for more storage?

Sure. It will still have 15GBs free, plus you can drop in an SD card for more space.

#12 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:55

It's all about the apps. Don't think in terms of hardware. Research if the apps you need are available on all platforms you're interested in.

#13 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:00

Since you said it is for study yes it is still a good deal.

#14 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:02

Windows 8.1 RT will run on it. The Surface RT can't run full Windows.

Personally I like Windows RT, so I would say if you can get it cheap, why not. It's going to be more useful than a Nexus 7, and with Office, probably more useful for school than an iPad. They're well built too, although I would go with the full keyboard (the Type, not the Touch) if you really want to use it full time.

The Surface RT is running the "full Windows."  It's just running a version running on an ARM CPU.

#15 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:06

Does anyone have any experience using the Surface RT with a stylus? Is the experience good? I'm thinking about getting a tablet for note taking - i.e. to replace paper - so what I'd really like is something that has a good stylus because I like drawing.

I assume Surface RT + capacitive stylus is probably exactly the same as iPad + capacitive stylus, so I'm thinking about waiting for Surface Pro 2 (with presumed Halswell therefore better battery & hopefully thinner chassis) before making the leap.