Getting a Surface RT: is it a wise investment?

I assumed he meant that out of the box you can't run any third party desktop apps, so it's not "full windows" in the true sense of the word, but a locked down version. But you're right, Windows RT is pretty much Windows 8 for ARM with some restrictions.

Semantics, but yes, there are difference between 8 and RT beyond not being able to run third party desktop apps, although they're relatively minor (hardware support, mostly).

Investment, no. This applies to most technology.

But, look at the pro's and con's and if you think it's worth the money your spending and the use you think you will get out of it. Make the leap. 

Can I print direct from my RT, yes, via wireless or plag in printer, yes, can I drag n drop documents, music, .pdfs, books, .mobi and .epub, YES, can I drop a .mpeg movie on to a pen drive and watch it, yes, and you can do all that out of the box, can it read my 500gig external hard drive, yes, out of the box, can I run a wireless mouse or,and, keyboard, yes, out of the box, I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tab, it can't do any of this, out of the box. Best tablet I've ever had, and I've had four. Jim

Does anyone have any experience using the Surface RT with a stylus? Is the experience good? I'm thinking about getting a tablet for note taking - i.e. to replace paper - so what I'd really like is something that has a good stylus because I like drawing.

I assume Surface RT + capacitive stylus is probably exactly the same as iPad + capacitive stylus, so I'm thinking about waiting for Surface Pro 2 (with presumed Halswell therefore better battery & hopefully thinner chassis) before making the leap. 

Notes Plus on iPad (with a stylus) is excellent. http://notesplusapp.com/ Windows RT may include a similar app.

Alternatively, you could look into a Livescribe Echo Smartpen, or similar. There's nothing like writing on paper in the end.

Notes Plus on iPad (with a stylus) is excellent. http://notesplusapp.com/ Windows RT may include a similar app.

Alternatively, you could look into a Livescribe Echo Smartpen, or similar. There's nothing like writing on paper in the end.

I have/had a Livescribe. Excellent little gadget until the battery died.

I sort of want a tablet though to use as a general computing device and leave my larger bits of kit at home, in addition to using as a note-taking device. Maybe I'll just wait a little while longer...

After loading the latest Windows 8.1 Preview on my Surface RT, I'd have to say yes. It's a wise investment. 8.1 gives RT new life. What the initial RTM should have been. In fact, it's a steal at $249 or less. This is assuming the performance/optimizations hold up upon 8.1's RTM.

Based on the dramatic difference, at least in my case (64GB Surface RT), Windows RT 8.0 is horribly bloated and unoptimized for ARM. 8.1 gets it right so far.

Maybe i'm getting en going Pro... or some other Intel-ish like tablet with Windows 8/8.1 with (full) desktop environment,

In the mean time I have bought myself some keyboard for my iPad, so I can use a tablet with keyboard and the Office-like apps from Apple.