Photo

Windows 8.1 Bing passes local PC searches to advertisers

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 alberto20

alberto20

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:27

Computerworld - Talk about having things both ways! A few months ago in its "Scroogled" ad campaign, Microsoft was complaining about how Google uses your search terms and Gmail contents to deliver targeted ads. Now, Microsoft is touting how Windows 8.1 uses your search terms to deliver targeted ads, even when you're doing searches on local drives.

Do people at Microsoft ever talk to anyone outside their own groups? Does the Bing team need to be introduced to the Scroogled team? Scroogled? How about Bing-Bang-Bungled?

Windows 8.1 is still in preview, but when you do a local search in it, your results will include both local and Bing-provided hits. Microsoft will then use your search terms for targeted ads.

More: http://www.computerw...es_local_search

#2 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:30

Windows 8 has ads in the search UI?

#3 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:31

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

#4 OP alberto20

alberto20

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:33

And here is Microsoft talking about it:

http://community.bin...indows-8-1.aspx

#5 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:33

And it takes about a half of a second to disable it.  Not that I'm justifying it's existence, that sort of thing cheeses me off in other OS's too. Hopefully there will still be support for OpenSearch (federated searches) like in Windows 7, would love to see that integrated nicely into the start screen.

#6 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:35

Screenshot (1).png

#7 OP alberto20

alberto20

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:36

Yes, very nice, but it doesn't say anything about sending your local searches to Bing. That's what the article is about.

#8 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:38

Seems they don't have a lot of room to talk when they push their "Scroggled" campaign.

#9 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:39

At a guess, if you disable all the bing options on this page, MS won't mix bing with local search?

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:41

Yes, very nice, but it doesn't say anything about sending your local searches to Bing. That's what the article is about.

This isn't new to 8... I'm doing online searches through Explorer in Windows 7 using the same mechanism as a local file search, 8 just has it on the start screen too (which I wish I could do in 7's start menu).  That's why the option to disable it is there.  

#11 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:44

I've turned that off and don't get bing results. I'm searching for "Mouse" or "Display" on my machine (for control panel hits) - I don't need an ad showing me to buy a mouse or a new monitor.

#12 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:49

This is surely a questionable move at best, since Windows is a paid for app. One that's pretty expensive in some guises (Pro is nearly £200, in software of that price I don't expect ads, even optional ones)

#13 OP alberto20

alberto20

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:50

People,

This article is about the fact that LOCAL searches get sent to bing. Not about the fact that Bing searches shows up when you hit search.

#14 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:53

If you're searching local files and folders, it does not pass the search. It only passes the search term when you search "Everywhere", which includes Bing, which includes advertisers.  Article is BS FUD. 

#15 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:56

People,

This article is about the fact that LOCAL searches get sent to bing. Not about the fact that Bing searches shows up when you hit search.

Yes, and this isn't new to Windows 8. This isn't even unique to Windows.  I can do the exact same thing in 7 and my Linux desktop right now, just kind of gimped in the 7 start menu version of it.  It doesn't care if it's local or remote, it's a unified search system. If it's searching "everywhere", that means exactly that.. everything it has access to. It's just going through the available sources for search info. Turn it off if it bugs you that bad, click click done. I do take offense at the ads though.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!