Windows 8.1 Bing passes local PC searches to advertisers

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 August 2013 - 15:29

Yes, very nice, but it doesn't say anything about sending your local searches to Bing. That's what the article is about.

Turn that off and local searches stay local.

I did not even bother opening the article because the author is a well known troll. The article is stupid.

#17 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 August 2013 - 19:51

I think people have the wrong idea about what it's doing when it's turned on.  First off it's not sending any local file info to bing to scan and push ads to you, all it does is pass the search term you type in the search field over to Bing at the same time.  It's basically doing two searches at once and giving you the results in one place, the search pane.  The search pane doesn't show you ads either, it shows you links.   You only see ads when you bring up the new Smart Search "app", if you click on one of the top results to a local file or control panel/pc settings area of the OS then you don't see ads.   Besides, you can turn it off, if it really bugs you.    I bet the majority won't care though, the general computing public doesn't think twice about sharing their info online to some service as we've seen.

#18 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:28

It's like saying, "I went to buy a Butterscotch Icecream, and that stupid shop fellow show cased all the Icecreams including Butterscotch". OMG sue him

#19 CygnusOrion

CygnusOrion

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:05

Smart Search sending your search phrase to Bing is NOT equal to Google scanning the ENTIRE F'EN contents of your emails!!!! 

NOT THE SAME!!!

#20 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:45

http://community.bin...indows-8-1.aspx

lmfao. Dis company, total LOL.

#21 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:09

Seems to be well received by the commentors.

#22 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:20

It sounds bad, but it's not. And it's completely unobtrusive.

#23 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:24

oh well, I will just instruct my routers to block bing related IP addresses.

#24 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:28

I'm done with Microsoft once Windows 7 reaches EOL. What a joke its become.

#25 heatlesssun

heatlesssun

Neowinian

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:06

Old news and actually this is pretty cool. Everyone goes nuts when they hear the word ad but there's very few ads there and they are all related to the search terms. And as other apps are designed to use the new API they can hook into the search terms, so once search can take you not to only different wen sites but apps as well.

#26 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 September 2013 - 15:58

Yea, funny that Bing serves you ads based on local searches on your computer (you search locally for something and Bing ads pop up) and no one is complaining about it.  But if Google does something, all the complainers come out.  Yea, you can turn this off in Win8.1, but you can also opt out of personalized Google ads as well but people still complain.

Whatever....

#27 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:00

Yea, funny that Bing serves you ads based on local searches on your computer (you search locally for something and Bing ads pop up) and no one is complaining about it.  But if Google does something, all the complainers come out.  Yea, you can turn this off in Win8.1, but you can also opt out of personalized Google ads as well but people still complain.

Whatever....

No one is complaining? Really? Other than the hopeless, lost-cause Windows 8 apologists (a phenomenon almost exclusive to Neowin) I haven't encountered anyone who is defending this abomination. Ads built into an OS is something I would expect from some bush league 'free PC' scam from the late 90s.

#28 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:01

No one is complaining? Really? Other than the hopeless, lost-cause Windows 8 apologists (a phenomenon almost exclusive to Neowin) I haven't encountered anyone who is defending this abomination. Ads built into an OS is something I would expect from some bush league 'free PC' scam from the late 90s.

If this was a Google related post here on Neowin, it would be attacked left and right.  That is what I meant.   I can understand if Windows was freeware to deal with things like this...but not for software that you pay for.  It is ridiculous.

#29 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:06

If this was a Google related post here on Neowin, it would be attacked left and right.  That is what I meant.   I can understand if Windows was freeware to deal with things like this...but not for software that you pay for.  It is ridiculous.

Google can at least be partially justified (Disclaimer: I hate Google and am not defending them) by the fact that the service is otherwise free and is ad supported.

Integrating ads into a $200 OS is disgraceful. It would be like if HBO suddenly started putting commercial interruptions into movies they show.

#30 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:07

Good thing is that you can disable Bing Search, if you hate ads being injected into your searches. :)