Windows 8.1 Bing passes local PC searches to advertisers

Yea, funny that Bing serves you ads based on local searches on your computer (you search locally for something and Bing ads pop up) and no one is complaining about it.  But if Google does something, all the complainers come out.  Yea, you can turn this off in Win8.1, but you can also opt out of personalized Google ads as well but people still complain.

Whatever....

• Like 2

Yea, funny that Bing serves you ads based on local searches on your computer (you search locally for something and Bing ads pop up) and no one is complaining about it.  But if Google does something, all the complainers come out.  Yea, you can turn this off in Win8.1, but you can also opt out of personalized Google ads as well but people still complain.

Whatever....

No one is complaining? Really? Other than the hopeless, lost-cause Windows 8 apologists (a phenomenon almost exclusive to Neowin) I haven't encountered anyone who is defending this abomination. Ads built into an OS is something I would expect from some bush league 'free PC' scam from the late 90s.

No one is complaining? Really? Other than the hopeless, lost-cause Windows 8 apologists (a phenomenon almost exclusive to Neowin) I haven't encountered anyone who is defending this abomination. Ads built into an OS is something I would expect from some bush league 'free PC' scam from the late 90s.

If this was a Google related post here on Neowin, it would be attacked left and right.  That is what I meant.   I can understand if Windows was freeware to deal with things like this...but not for software that you pay for.  It is ridiculous.

If this was a Google related post here on Neowin, it would be attacked left and right.  That is what I meant.   I can understand if Windows was freeware to deal with things like this...but not for software that you pay for.  It is ridiculous.

Google can at least be partially justified (Disclaimer: I hate Google and am not defending them) by the fact that the service is otherwise free and is ad supported.

Integrating ads into a $200 OS is disgraceful. It would be like if HBO suddenly started putting commercial interruptions into movies they show.

• Like 3

Google can at least be partially justified (Disclaimer: I hate Google and am not defending them) by the fact that the service is otherwise free and is ad supported.

Integrating ads into a $200 OS is disgraceful. It would be like if HBO suddenly started putting commercial interruptions into movies they show.

Agreed.  But MS is god so they cannot do nothing to upset users...

I use MS products more than any other company...but this is just plain stupid.  Ads on bing.com...fine, but keep it out of the OS.

Exactly.  And Dot Matrix would be on the front lines.

Exactly.  And Dot Matrix would be on the front lines.

I can name a few other people as well. 

I expect Ads on Google since they are an ad company and their services are free.  But MS didnt have this before so not sure why they are going this route other than trying to make more $$$.  You can opt out/turn off like you can Google interest based ads....but on payed software you shouldnt have to do that.  And like I said, if Windows was free..then this wouldnt be an issue.

Good thing is that you can disable Bing Search, if you hate ads being injected into your searches. :)

The fact it is there at all is just disgusting. Microsoft can't have its cake and eat it too here.

Couldn't agree more. The historical relationship between ADs and our computing experience has been ADs in exchange for getting a service or product for free. Even Neowin is free with ADs and ponying up a few bucks makes them go away.

Insane that Microsoft wants their cake and to eat it too. They want to be able to drive ADs deeper and deeper into your Windows Experience while still collecting huge up front fees (Windows isn't free) and getting 30% whenever you buy an app and a split from whatever ADs developers show in app.

This is just disgusting.

The fact it is there at all is just disgusting. Microsoft can't have its cake and eat it too here.

It IS disgusting, but what you've got to remember is some of the Microsoft apps bundled with Windows 8 included ads even know we were paying for the OS, so is this really any different from what Microsoft are doing with the Bing Search Ads?

Side note: If I remember correctly Microsoft Mahjong forced you to watch a video ad, if there were no matching pairs left. :(

Couldn't agree more. The historical relationship between ADs and our computing experience has been ADs in exchange for getting a service or product for free. Even Neowin is free with ADs and ponying up a few bucks makes them go away.

Insane that Microsoft wants their cake and to eat it too. They want to be able to drive ADs deeper and deeper into your Windows Experience while still collecting huge up front fees (Windows isn't free) and getting 30% whenever you buy an app and a split from whatever ADs developers show in app.

This is just disgusting.

I'm not sure that disgusting is the right word but I'd say it's definitely disappointing. It's one of the things that turns me off buying an Xbox or pay TV and I agree that ads have no place in paid products. For now I'm just glad that it's easy to turn off and, to be honest, I won't mind doing that because I've never felt the need to incorporate web searches into local PC searches anyway.

Whatever....

Nice straw man argument. There's a massive difference between MS incorporating ads into a web search based only on the search term entered and Google scanning all your emails, documents and other personal info and then selling the data they collect. There's also a huge difference between simply going into PC Settings to turn off Bing ads and having to scour the web searching for a way to opt out of ads (but not scanning) in GMail.

No matter how distasteful Microsoft's move might be it's nowhere near as intrusive as what Google does.

Nice straw man argument. There's a massive difference between MS incorporating ads into a web search based only on the search term entered and Google scanning all your emails, documents and other personal info and then selling the data they collect. There's also a huge difference between simply going into PC Settings to turn off Bing ads and having to scour the web searching for a way to opt out of ads (but not scanning) in GMail.

No matter how distasteful Microsoft's move might be it's nowhere near as intrusive as what Google does.

That isnt the point.  People bitch and moan about Google serving you more ads while others do the same thing.  And scour the internet?  Simple search.

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but Google does not sell your info to third parties. Never have.

Apparently you think it is perfectly fine to receive ads on something you paid a license for.

did you really pay for a license for bing? NO you did not. Bing is a separate product that is being integrated. This is a great feature. They are even giving you the option to disable it. Stop twisting this into something else.

Whatever....

Unlike Google though, this is opt-in not opt-out.

I didn't pay for bing, so if I don't want ads I don't use bing.  This logic is tough to grasp for some people. 

It's literally 2 steps:

1. Type "search settings" -> hit enter

2. Flip the switch "get search suggestions and web results from bing"

3. There is no step 3. I said it was 2 steps, remember?

Put the pitchforks away and calm down. 

Unlike Google though, this is opt-in not opt-out.

From what I have been seeing, and saw during the pre 8.1 releases, it was enabled by default.  Unless they changed it.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/first-jaundiced-look-windows-81-rtm-225925

Smart Search slithers: It's Smart for Microsoft marketing but not for you. Smart Search -- the single greatest privacy-busting feature Windows has ever spawned -- is enabled by default on installation. Smart Search sends every search term you type for local, on-your-computer-or-network searches to that big Bing engine, for collecting, collating, and enhancing your shopping experience.