Windows 8.1 Bing passes local PC searches to advertisers

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:08

Google can at least be partially justified (Disclaimer: I hate Google and am not defending them) by the fact that the service is otherwise free and is ad supported.

Integrating ads into a $200 OS is disgraceful. It would be like if HBO suddenly started putting commercial interruptions into movies they show.

Agreed.  But MS is god so they cannot do nothing to upset users...

I use MS products more than any other company...but this is just plain stupid.  Ads on bing.com...fine, but keep it out of the OS.

#32 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:11

If this was a Google related post here on Neowin, it would be attacked left and right.  That is what I meant.   I can understand if Windows was freeware to deal with things like this...but not for software that you pay for.  It is ridiculous.

Exactly.  And Dot Matrix would be on the front lines.

#33 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:11

Ads on Windows ?! SUE !!!

#34 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:13

Exactly.  And Dot Matrix would be on the front lines.

I can name a few other people as well. 

I expect Ads on Google since they are an ad company and their services are free.  But MS didnt have this before so not sure why they are going this route other than trying to make more $$$.  You can opt out/turn off like you can Google interest based ads....but on payed software you shouldnt have to do that.  And like I said, if Windows was free..then this wouldnt be an issue.

#35 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: WP8

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:20

Fundamentally a bad idea which I'll not be supporting.

#36 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:25

Good thing is that you can disable Bing Search, if you hate ads being injected into your searches. :)

The fact it is there at all is just disgusting. Microsoft can't have its cake and eat it too here.

Google can at least be partially justified (Disclaimer: I hate Google and am not defending them) by the fact that the service is otherwise free and is ad supported.

Integrating ads into a $200 OS is disgraceful. It would be like if HBO suddenly started putting commercial interruptions into movies they show.

Couldn't agree more. The historical relationship between ADs and our computing experience has been ADs in exchange for getting a service or product for free. Even Neowin is free with ADs and ponying up a few bucks makes them go away.

Insane that Microsoft wants their cake and to eat it too. They want to be able to drive ADs deeper and deeper into your Windows Experience while still collecting huge up front fees (Windows isn't free) and getting 30% whenever you buy an app and a split from whatever ADs developers show in app.

This is just disgusting.

#37 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:42

The fact it is there at all is just disgusting. Microsoft can't have its cake and eat it too here.

It IS disgusting, but what you've got to remember is some of the Microsoft apps bundled with Windows 8 included ads even know we were paying for the OS, so is this really any different from what Microsoft are doing with the Bing Search Ads?

Side note: If I remember correctly Microsoft Mahjong forced you to watch a video ad, if there were no matching pairs left. :(

#38 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:46

[Threads merged]

#39 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:00

Couldn't agree more. The historical relationship between ADs and our computing experience has been ADs in exchange for getting a service or product for free. Even Neowin is free with ADs and ponying up a few bucks makes them go away.

Insane that Microsoft wants their cake and to eat it too. They want to be able to drive ADs deeper and deeper into your Windows Experience while still collecting huge up front fees (Windows isn't free) and getting 30% whenever you buy an app and a split from whatever ADs developers show in app.

This is just disgusting.

I'm not sure that disgusting is the right word but I'd say it's definitely disappointing. It's one of the things that turns me off buying an Xbox or pay TV and I agree that ads have no place in paid products. For now I'm just glad that it's easy to turn off and, to be honest, I won't mind doing that because I've never felt the need to incorporate web searches into local PC searches anyway.

#40 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:02

Yea, funny that Bing serves you ads based on local searches on your computer (you search locally for something and Bing ads pop up) and no one is complaining about it.  But if Google does something, all the complainers come out.  Yea, you can turn this off in Win8.1, but you can also opt out of personalized Google ads as well but people still complain.

Whatever....

Nice straw man argument. There's a massive difference between MS incorporating ads into a web search based only on the search term entered and Google scanning all your emails, documents and other personal info and then selling the data they collect. There's also a huge difference between simply going into PC Settings to turn off Bing ads and having to scour the web searching for a way to opt out of ads (but not scanning) in GMail.

No matter how distasteful Microsoft's move might be it's nowhere near as intrusive as what Google does.

#41 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:05

Nice straw man argument. There's a massive difference between MS incorporating ads into a web search based only on the search term entered and Google scanning all your emails, documents and other personal info and then selling the data they collect. There's also a huge difference between simply going into PC Settings to turn off Bing ads and having to scour the web searching for a way to opt out of ads (but not scanning) in GMail.

No matter how distasteful Microsoft's move might be it's nowhere near as intrusive as what Google does.

That isnt the point.  People bitch and moan about Google serving you more ads while others do the same thing.  And scour the internet?  Simple search.

#42 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:15

Ads on Windows ?! SUE !!!

Apparently you think it is perfectly fine to receive ads on something you paid a license for.

#43 fobban

fobban

Neowinian

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:18

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but Google does not sell your info to third parties. Never have.

#44 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:28

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this, but Google does not sell your info to third parties. Never have.

Anonymized info, yes (they share with advertisers)...personal info...no.

#45 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:29

Apparently you think it is perfectly fine to receive ads on something you paid a license for.

did you really pay for a license for bing? NO you did not. Bing is a separate product that is being integrated. This is a great feature. They are even giving you the option to disable it. Stop twisting this into something else.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!