Windows 8.1 Bing passes local PC searches to advertisers

did you really pay for a license for bing? NO you did not. Bing is a separate product that is being integrated. This is a great feature. They are even giving you the option to disable it. Stop twisting this into something else.

Sucking up to Microsoft as usual.

It shouldn't even be an option in an OS that you pay a license for. 

If they were in the Bing app, that would be a little different, wouldn't it.

• Like 5

saying search integration in the os is a great feature is an absurd thing to say?

Search integration, yes.

Ad integration, hell no.

I see a lot of hypocritical comments here in this thread that defend Microsoft and bash Google for similar behaviors on their (free) apps.

• Like 2

Search integration, yes.

Ad integration, hell no.

I see a lot of hypocritical comments here in this thread that defend Microsoft and bash Google for similar behaviors on their (free) apps.

bing is a separate product that you did not pay a license for. bing on the web has ads. integrating bing is a feature. this is different than scanning your personal emails for key words to sell you ads. nothing hypocritical about it. its that simple.

bing is a separate product that you did not pay a license for. bing on the web has ads. integrating bing is a feature. this is different than scanning your personal emails for key words to sell you ads. nothing hypocritical about it. its that simple.

And yet the ad options are in the OS, clearly indicating the integration is more than you let on to.

If you uninstall Bing, do those options go away?

And yet the ad options are in the OS, clearly indicating the integration is more than you let on to.

If you uninstall Bing, do those options go away?

IF you turn off Bing integration, the ads go away. Is that what you're asking?  

IF you turn off Bing integration, the ads go away. Is that what you're asking?  

No.

I was wondering if this is tied to the Bing modern app, and if uninstalling it removed those options from the OS.

If it does not, then the integration is deeper than what people are brushing it off to be.  If it is optional, put it in the app, not something I paid a license for.

No.

I was wondering if this is tied to the Bing modern app, and if uninstalling it removed those options from the OS.

If it does not, then the integration is deeper than what people are brushing it off to be.  If it is optional, put it in the app, not something I paid a license for.

The Bing app no longer exists for 8.1.

SJVN's article and title are deeply misleading. They don't send your queries for local searches to Bing. If you search in Explorer or the  Files scope of the search pane, nothing is sent anywhere. They do send queries for the new "Everywhere" scope (which searches across local and web) to Bing. That should be obvious, you can do local + web search without hitting the web! Then via Bing this could indirectly make its way to advertisers, of course with no personally identifiable information included.

This is just like Google Now or searching with Siri on an iPhone. And yes, you can turn it off if you want to.

Of course, if you just go to Start and type "notepad" and hit enter or select an item from the search pane, there are no ads. Only if you submit a query and go to the new built-in Bing app / search results view will you maybe see ads. Though personally I can't get any to come up on the RTM build right now.

From what I have been seeing, and saw during the pre 8.1 releases, it was enabled by default.  Unless they changed it.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/first-jaundiced-look-windows-81-rtm-225925

IIRC on first boot, this is one of the things you are asked for. I will be installing Win8.1 RTM once I get my new SSD but I am pretty sure this was asked after boot.

IIRC on first boot, this is one of the things you are asked for. I will be installing Win8.1 RTM once I get my new SSD but I am pretty sure this was asked after boot.

cool, let me know.  I am thinking that on the other releases I remember it being enabled by default and the link I posted was talking about RTM.

SJVN article? Jesus, that guy will say anything to slam Microsoft (and others not associated with open source), and will often make **** up. Why are we quoting him?

SJVN article? Jesus, that guy will say anything to slam Microsoft (and others not associated with open source), and will often make **** up. Why are we quoting him?

Here's another messenger for you to kill.

http://community.bingads.microsoft.com/ads/en/bingads/b/blog/archive/2013/07/02/new-search-ad-experiences-within-windows-8-1.aspx

and this 'FUD' brought to you by

http://community.bingads.microsoft.com/ads/en/bingads/b/blog/archive/2013/07/02/new-search-ad-experiences-within-windows-8-1.aspx

nice try, damage control by labeling it as 'FUD', dude.

Umm no. The hysteria was a reaction to SJVN's article which as I described above is pure BS. There are no ads in local search. Period. There are only ads in web search results, which you only see if you execute a search in the Web or Everywhere (Local + Web) scope.

That link just describes how advertisers integrate with the new Bing search client built into Windows 8.1. Everything on that page sounds just great.

• Like 2

Umm no. The hysteria was a reaction to SJVN's article which as I described above is pure BS. There are no ads in local search. Period. There are only ads in web search results, which you only see if you execute a search in the Web or Everywhere (Local + Web) scope.

That link just describes how advertisers integrate with the new Bing search client built into Windows 8.1. Everything on that page sounds just great.

It doesn't seem to matter if you explain the details, some just hear ads and think whatever.   All it takes is to use it to see that you'll only get ads in the new bing app when doing a web search, they've demoed the thing a number of times.   You don't see ads in the search pane, it's just a list of results you pick from.

This whole thing about paying for the OS so I shouldn't get ads is overblown.  The fact you only see ads in, free apps that connect to a service (the bing apps) or free games that you'd otherwise pay for and when doing a web search seems to shock people now?  Where have you guys been the past 20 years?  Free games and apps tend to come with ads and when you do a web search you'll probably see ads.  So now the OS has a custom web search app that shows up directly from the integrated search charm and you're tossing a fit like it's something new?   All they did is take a few steps out of the equation for you.  Hit winkey, start typing your search then hit enter and if it's not a local file/app you get the Bing app because the next logical thing is a web search unless you turn it off.   It'd be like hitting start, opening Bing app, typing search and then going down the list.  At least now the new app can also pull data from other apps, like if you have a Wikipedia app installed, or some movie database app installed and so on.