Post Amber/GDR2 Update : Your impressions

Hey guys!

Please post your experience post GDR2/Amber update.

I'm currently running GDR2/Amber on my unbranded Lumia 920 for the past two days and here is my short experience:

* Battery life has been amazing for me. It has improved by atleast 30% for me. (Phone easily lasts for 24 hours with crappy 3G signal) I had a very  crappy battery and Nokia refused to replace my handset. 

* OS seems a lot more snappy but this could be placebo

* I love Nokia glance screen. I wish it could show notifications too and not just time and battery

* I have got Data Sense in this update which is awesome. No more worrying about exceeding my mobile data. 

* There used to be this weird bug where increase/decrease of volume basically had no effect while listening to music, this seems to have been fixed. 

* Nokia Pro cam is awesome and is my default camera now. 

* Used to get this random error on Xbox Music wherein the song wouldn't play. I think this update fixes that bug too. 

• Like 3

Only now am I starting to feel left out as a Lumia 800 owner.

Do I get a new phone tomorrow, or more than halve the price of my contract?

I'm at the mercy of VZW releasing the update for my 822 :(

I have always liked my 920 though i been debating on getting a 1020 right now instead of waiting for the price to come down but after this update my phone seems to work so much better.  The Nokia Pro Camera app is amazing my photos just seem to look so much better.  Windows phone finally seems to have all the features i really care about now.  Lol im loving the call blocking cause i get so many calls that are wrong numbers specifically these 3 that call multiple times a day almost every day for someone else and I havent seen a call from them since i hit the block the other day after updating! 

P.S. I actually flashed my ATT 920 to rogero then flashed to the unbranded euro Amber rom that leaked

Still waiting for the update to drop for the VZW Lumia 928 and i thought Android updates took forever.

Guys don't wait for the update, just backup all your data and flash it. I did the same and it worked well. Plenty of guides are available. 

waiting for update on unbranded lumia 520 here

Guys don't wait for the update, just backup all your data and flash it. I did the same and it worked well. Plenty of guides are available. 

yea but then you have to re-set all your settings, bah

Everyone will get gdr2 by the 30th sept at the latest. They are rolling it out regularly until then.

they also have to rely on vendors approving it which is the main delay for uk etc

On at&t as well, waiting for my Lumia 920 update as well,  So far no ETA from at&t though, asked a  few times on at&t customer care twitter, so I guess all can do now is wait, hopefully won't be very last update at End of September

I got a nice surprise today and got the update for my HTC 8X!!!   It's only been a short time, unlocked phone though I do get the T-Mobile logo on boot so it's branded in a sense, well, it was a import from Germany actually.   Anyways, so far it does feel like there's a performance boost and I think some apps start up/resume faster than pre-GDR2.

I'll get back to you on battery life since I just got it but if there is a boost for me as well that's a nice bonus.   I have data sense as well, good for info but right now i'm using Wifi 98% of the time so the need to keep track of my data plan isn't an issue, still good to get it.  Another thing I noticed is that after the update my "Other" storage size dropped a bit, it's at 1.95GB right now but I'm pretty sure it was a bit higher before.  It should drop lower in time actually, iirc the average is suppose to be around 700-800MB max before it starts to clean up files.

That's it so far, now to wait for GDR3!

I have seen on other forums that amber/gdr2 actually adds things to the camera and fixes picture quality. it adds iso 1600 and 3200 to the 920 and fixes some blurry photo problems. I was going to buy the 1020 but after seeing peoples reports I might waittill I get the update on my 920 from att. I would love to wait to see what the update to the 920 will be.

On 521 no glance screen or smart cam, but FM radio works well so does other GDR2/Amber features

On 521 no glance screen or smart cam, but FM radio works well so does other GDR2/Amber features

wait really? I thought Glance Screen was the only thing that wasn't coming to the 520/620 models?

wait really? I thought Glance Screen was the only thing that wasn't coming to the 520/620 models?

Since 521 and 520 share the same "insides" and 520 can't run glance due to a hardware limitation, that unfortunately applies to 521 as well.

Is Lumia 800 getting the love?

Edit: What am I smoking? Amber/GDR2 is for WP8 not WP7.8!!! Arrgh...might have to get a new phone :(

I'm hearing that new Nokia devices could be coming in November, GDR3, phablet, tablet and so on.   Should be worth the wait if you can.

loving the GDR2 so far. The biggest thing for is battery life. Its been a day since i charged and the battery life is at 55%. with constant calendar, email and web usage over wifi and 3G.

There is definitely a performance boost, the apps I use the most are opening faster from what I can tell.