Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo R.

news Star Trek Into Darkness named 'worst Star Trek film'

222 posts in this topic

Guess i'm retarded too as I like Janeway as a captain as well. Maybe not more than Picard but I still to this day haven't watched 99% of DS9.

I like Janeway as a Captain, but to say she's a better Captain than Picard? Madness.

The same madness that lists STID below Nemesis or The Final Frontier.

These fans are butthurt the franchise is going on without them. The same fans that railed against TNG when it premiered.

We'll see in 10 years.

These fans are butthurt the franchise is going on without them.

Bingo.

Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent film and I consider it to be one of the best Star Trek films, though I'll need to see it several more times before making a final decision. It was certainly better than the likes of The Final Frontier, Nemesis and The Search For Spock. The Star Trek franchise had been run into the ground by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and need to be taken in a new direction, which thankfully JJ Abrams did.

For what it's worth I'm a major Star Trek fan?having watched every series (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) and all 12 movies multiple times?yet I don't refer to myself as a Trekkie, mainly because of nonsense like this. We heard the same criticism for the 2009 reboot because of the destruction of Vulcan and the alternate timeline yet now it is ranked quite highly. This is just your typical example of fans resisting change and then eventually coming round to it.

I can't wait for the third film!

Totall rubbish. Why would Galaxy Quest be on a Star Trek movie list? The fact the it is listed as worst than ST V just proves it is BS. I loved STID.

1 person likes this

Big fan of Star Trek myself.

I agree with this message. Into Darkness was pure tripe. Not what a ST film should be.

Star Trek in Netflix really blows.  Missing a TON of episodes.  Not he only shows on Netflix missing episodes either.  Maybe its the device I am using  for Netflix...

Has all the TNG episodes on Netflix here in Canada as far as I can tell.

wasnt that bad IMO :/

1 person likes this

They must have read Hum's posts: :p

Hum, on 17 May 2013 - 13:21, said:

Disappointing movie, after all the hype.

Rehashing old Star Trek plots wasn't what I expected.

Hum, on 18 May 2013 - 19:14, said:

^ I don't dismiss the entire movie -- it is entertaining.

It has lots of razzle-dazzle.

Acting was good.

But I doubt I would have watched, knowing it was a reboot of

The Wrath of Kahn.

It also has the same story hole -- 200 years from now, they are too dumb to have some sort of protective suits in dealing with radiation ... ?

In the same movie, they survive flying thru Space, in astronaut suits !

I would also expect that they would have 23rd century robots, androids that could have gone in, and do what Kirk did.

Has all the TNG episodes on Netflix here in Canada as far as I can tell.

Just did some research.  Been using my TVs built in Netflix player and apparently, there is a bug is some TV/Blueray players that does not show all episodes.  I have some shows missing most of the seasons and only 100 total episodes.  Just never really looked in to it.

Star Trek Into Darkness was an excellent film and I consider it to be one of the best Star Trek films, though I'll need to see it several more times before making a final decision. It was certainly better than the likes of The Final Frontier, Nemesis and The Search For Spock. The Star Trek franchise had been run into the ground by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and need to be taken in a new direction, which thankfully JJ Abrams did.

For what it's worth I'm a major Star Trek fan?having watched every series (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) and all 12 movies multiple times?yet I don't refer to myself as a Trekkie, mainly because of nonsense like this. We heard the same criticism for the 2009 reboot because of the destruction of Vulcan and the alternate timeline yet now it is ranked quite highly. This is just your typical example of fans resisting change and then eventually coming round to it.

I can't wait for the third film!

This isn't resisting change. Star Trek fans are very passionate about good storylines, and good film making. Not to mention Star Trek fans are very often than not involved in the scientific community.

STID ignored a lot of set physics, and suffered pretty catastrophically from bad actor choices, which resulted in JJ pretty much insulting the Star Trek fan base, and their intelligence.

1 person likes this

Guess i'm retarded too as I like Janeway as a captain as well. Maybe not more than Picard but I still to this day haven't watched 99% of DS9.

The only two Captains I did like were James T. Kirk and Katherine Janeway. :p

I liked Kirk as well but Janeway and Picard more so than Kirk. Hey, call me whatever but that's just my preference. :p

I never got into DS9 because of the "sameness" of it. Even episodes of Voyager when they are on a planet and dealing with population I generally skip now when watching on Netflix/Hulu. I like space trips/battles stuff... The voyages to me are about Space, not about San Francisco or other 3rd world countries*

(in the sense when they time travel or visit planets - 3rd world countries in 2013 are just as alien to me and not much interest there either!)

It's hard to over analyze the film when none of the events make much sense.  

How does nothing makes sense? :wacko:  I understood everything in the film..... 

First, Wrath of Khan is far and away the best Star Trek movie created.

That being said, I didn't mind Into Darkness. I understand they're playing with

the timeline and the "overall" story, so I can get behind it just fine. The movie

was enjoyable enough... if a bit SLOW at times.

This isn't resisting change. Star Trek fans are very passionate about good storylines, and good film making. Not to mention Star Trek fans are very often than not involved in the scientific community.

STID ignored a lot of set physics, and suffered pretty catastrophically from bad actor choices, which resulted in JJ pretty much insulting the Star Trek fan base, and their intelligence.

Give me a break. Like transporters and a Genesis Device don't violate physics. Let's not forget the whole "sound in space" thing.

And the STID cast has 10x the acting prowess of the original cast perhaps with the exception of Nimoy. They're not going to be shilling collector's plates on QVC in 20 years.

The STAR TREK fanbase needs to grow the hell up.

I wouldnt even call it a parody.  I never thought Star Trek when i saw Galaxy Quest

Don't take this personally or anything - but how could you NOT think of Star Trek when you watched Galaxy Quest? It was so obviously a parody on the TOS crew and what had become of them (good or bad, depending on your views of course) to the fandom/world. Plus the constant nods to specific Trek tropes, fan reactions to Trek episodes and quotes from said episodes etc.

I mean, I guess you could take any of those things as just a parody of Sci-Fi TV/films in general but they really aimed it at Star Trek.

As for the list and ranking Into Darkness last - really? I haven't seen it yet, but nothing is worse than The Final Frontier. That is a travesty of a Star Trek movie (for the most part). Just because Into Darkness redid Wrath of Khan (more or less) doesn't make it a horrible movie by default. I think most Trek fans are just upset that JJ and company are trying to turn Trek into an all out Space-Action-Romp type of thing now. I bet the next movie is about the Klingons invading with the help of the Borg and Species 8472 and only Kirk and Spock can stop them with their uber upgraded Enterpise with Quantum torpedoes and transphasic torpedoes and Batman armor.

How does nothing makes sense? :wacko:  I understood everything in the film..... 

Well for one, spaceships don't just fall out of the sky from Lunar orbit...

Give me a break. Like transporters and a Genesis Device don't violate physics. Let's not forget the whole "sound in space" thing.

And the STID cast has 10x the acting prowess of the original cast perhaps with the exception of Nimoy. They're not going to be shilling collector's plates on QVC in 20 years.

The STAR TREK fanbase needs to grow the hell up.

Grow up? How is being upset at being spoon fed a crap story, that ignored all the things childish?

Well for one, spaceships don't just fall out of the sky from Lunar orbit...

They do when they're damaged.

would you rather make a movie for a small number of hardcore fans who think TOS is great TV/cinema or would you rather make a movie for everyone else...

yeah. 

wtf Star Trek V isn't the worse but this new one is? And Galaxy Quest is on the list? That alone should void the entire voting.

A good movie doesn't make a good star trek movie.

If you gonna do something different then change the title and start something new.

But it does.

Trek is so much, it's still trek and it's still a good movie. it just isn't a good movie for the TOS fans.

but TOS, TNG, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise all have different fans, and they're all trek. 

and the people who go to these conventions, it's mostly TOS and TNG fans. TOS in particular isn't something you could call great. TNG isn't terrible, but it has about 3 different storyline that's repeated on different planets or scenarios.

would you rather make a movie for a small number of hardcore fans who think TOS is great TV/cinema or would you rather make a movie for everyone else...

yeah. 

not only that but it sold pretty well and lots of fans enjoyed; i like it allot; also what i don't get is that most of the hardcore fans i know demanded more action in the series and on the movies; now a movie has action (and i still think that should had more battle scenes) and they called bad? fuuuuuuuuuu

They do when they're damaged.

No, they don't. In Into Darkness, Enterprise and Vengeance simply fell to Earth from the moon like there were no barriers in place. In space, things don't work like that. Orbital Mechanics are a set law in physics, and no amount of Star trek BS can explain that.

If that were the case, satellites wouldn't orbit, and come crashing back down each time we placed one up there. Neither would the moon. What SHOULD have happened is, the damaged Enterprise and Vengeance should have stayed put, with the gravitational influence of the moon pulling them along for the ride around Earth. Eventually, they would have either crashed into the moon, or the Earth, but they would NEVER have fallen straight in.  

That was a complete slap in the face to any scientist out there that enjoys Trek.

Don't take this personally or anything - but how could you NOT think of Star Trek when you watched Galaxy Quest? It was so obviously a parody on the TOS crew and what had become of them (good or bad, depending on your views of course) to the fandom/world. Plus the constant nods to specific Trek tropes, fan reactions to Trek episodes and quotes from said episodes etc.

I just dont.  If you start comparing every movie to other movies, it takes away from that movie.  I try and keep everything separated so I dont judge movies and compare them to others.