Star Trek Into Darkness named 'worst Star Trek film'

Yea, but are you more of an TNG fan, or Original Series?  I find the fans of each tend to lean towards the same generation of movies as well. 

TNG for TV and original for the movies, Wrath of Khan is my favourite (obviously) and then the undiscovered country... so for me it's 2,6,1,8,3,4,5,7,11,9,10,, i wouldn't include 12 :P

All this whining about "the moon" - they weren't in orbit of the moon. The Enterprise was stable, then it was under attack when Khan double crossed them and was making evasive maneuvers and lost power, falling into Earth's gravity well.

It was in no way an Apollo 13 type situation.

Jeez.

WRATH OF KHAN had some doozies, yet I don't see you INTO DARKNESS haters complaining about that.

I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation of why Khan recognized Chekov, or how the hell Reliant could mistake the 5th planet of a star system for the 6th. It's like landing on Earth and looking for Martians.

Chekov was a mistake (but ya never know he could have been there and got promoted later on) and they explained that something or other exploded and knocked the planets out of alignment, but two small faults in an otherwise great film.

explain why it the new one when they lost gravity they weren't floating? :) I think really though that whole moon and falling into the planet was a mistake by the special effects people, they should have know better

You didn't even address my other point.

Star Trek from inception to latest has been a slap in the face of science.

Star Trek has helped guide science. Sure, there's warp drive and transporters, but those plot devices don't utterly destroy physics like JJ did. There is actual scientific research behind them, falling to Earth from the far reaches of the moon is just pure BS regardless of what universe your in.

Star Trek has helped guide science. Sure, there's warp drive and transporters, but those plot devices don't utterly destroy physics like JJ did. There is actual scientific research behind them, falling to Earth from the far reaches of the moon is just pure BS regardless of what universe your in.

Yet, sound in space is totally plausible...

I see you ignored my rebuttal to that. It did NOT just fall to Earth.

The two ships appeared from warp in Lunar orbit.

But they did. The Earth gobbled up the Enterprise like it was a vacuum cleaner. In fact the crew were tumbling around like there was gravity, when there wasn't. Certainly glad that doesn't happen in real life, otherwise the astronauts aboard the ISS would be in trouble.

On the other hand anyone who isn't a trekky enjoyed it. Which is probably far more people than didn't.

Making movies with broad appeal is better than making movies with very limited appeal. I enjoyed the last one, I enjoyed this, and I'll probably enjoy the next one when/if it's ever made.

you know while I was watching that in the cinema I thought it seemed like it did, one second it was at the moon and then they lost control and where falling to earth. Now while I was watching it I thought this and thought huh? this is silly but everything moves very fast in this film and it is possible (although I doubt it) that it's explained how they moved such great distances so fast.  I shall have to wait till I see it again to follow up that argument as I've only seen it once

But it did. In fact the crew were tumbling around like there was gravity, when there wasn't. Certainly glad that doesn't happen in real life, otherwise the astronauts aboard the ISS would be in trouble.

They were in evasive maneuvers from Khan's attack, losing power, and then fell to Earth. Until Khan attacked they were in a stable position near the moon.

They were in evasive maneuvers from Khan's attack, losing power, and then fell to Earth. Until Khan attacked they were in a stable orbit near the moon.

They were still in orbit of the moon even after Khan attacked them. You can see it behind Vengeance as Kirk and Khan dove aboard the ship.

They were still in orbit of the moon even after Khan attacked them. You can see it behind Vengeance as Kirk and Khan dove aboard the ship.

This is way after the spacedive sequence, Khan kills Marcus, beams Kirk, Scotty and Carol to the Enterprise brig, and then attacks the Enterprise. The Enterprise tries to evade but is getting hammered until the torpedoes Khan beamed aboard explode and disable the Vengeance, which is following the Enterprise.

This is way after the spacedive sequence, Khan kills Marcus, beams Kirk, Scotty and Carol to the Enterprise brig, and then attacks the Enterprise. The Enterprise tries to evade but is getting hammered until the torpedoes Khan beamed aboard explode and disable the Vengeance, which is following the Enterprise.

Even at that point, they were too far away to simply fall to Earth. Nothing, ever, ever, ever, just falls to Earth.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/08/09/video_if_gravity_goes_on_forever_why_are_astronauts_weightless.html

While the purist in me recognizes that neither of Abrams' films are 'good' Trek, I still found them enjoyable and easily in the middle of the pack.  Not the best, nor the worst.

The JJverse movies suck...Storyline wise anyways...

They were only good in that they dumbed it down so much, the average person could like it without knowing Star Trek. This results in more people watching it, which means more money. And...cross your fingers, maybe a series if there is enough interest...(One can always wish..)

Other than that, there are so many holes in those movies, that are hard to ignore, that it destroys the movie. You have to turn your brain off more than usual to watch it...

Yes, there have been holes in every ST movie, but the story telling in the JJverse is just too bad...

I've watched every episode (Even TAS), and every movie, many times (Except Into Darkness). I love all the series, I love all the captains. But can't get into the JJverse...I can't even get into the comic books for the JJverse! I have them all, but kinda stopped reading them..

I'm actually looking forward to Star Trek Renegades more than Star Trek XIII...

My order of movies:

1 - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

2 - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

3 - Star trek VIII: First Contact

4 - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

5 - Star Trek IX: Insurrection

6 - Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

7 - Star Trek V: The Final Frointer

8 - Star Trek XII: Into Darkness

9 - Star Trek VI: Generations

10 - Star Trek XI

11 - Star Trek X: Nemesis

12 - Star Trek I: The Motion Picture

Even at that point, they were too far away to simply fall to Earth. Nothing, ever, ever, ever, just falls to Earth.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/08/09/video_if_gravity_goes_on_forever_why_are_astronauts_weightless.html

When you're at full impulse you aren't just "falling" to Earth either. A car doesn't stop rolling just because you've taken your foot off the gas pedal.

What, dont like humpback whales?  :p

Lol, nothing against humpback whales; it just seemed "out of place" for a Star Trek movie. I mean, kinda like a Hollywood, liberal agenda. 

I guess I watch movies for entertainment and Into The Darkness was just that. Very entertaining, especially in 3D IMAX.

Dot Matrix watches Star Trek for scientific value.

Lol, nothing against humpback whales; it just seemed "out of place" for a Star Trek movie. I mean, kinda like a Hollywood, liberal agenda. 

How so?  If anything, that is where the movies have failed (outside of IV and VI) to not be a socially relevant (ie a 'liberal' agenda, but really counter-culture) as they should.  On that note, JJ also skipped all the interesting questions about augments in favor of pew pew lasers.

There is a reason many scientists and engineers have a soft spot for the franchise.  To 'only' go for entertainment is fine, but that doesn't mean its good sci-fi which is something the franchise should always attempt.  You can't enter that kind of argument and 'not' care about such things.  When you are talking comparisons, that has to be in the mix.  If it fails at the science (even via technobabble), then its not good Trek.  Trek is different.

Hell, I'm still trying to get over him hiding the ship underwater on Nibiru.  Dot, you are wrong though.  The ship was in Earth's gravity and would have been pulled in (just would have taken far longer than shown).  They were never in a stable orbit.  The gravity bending running around around was a bit much, that was a trade of action over realism that doesn't belong in a ST film.

How so?  If anything, that is where the movies have failed (outside of IV and VI) to not be a socially relevant (ie a 'liberal' agenda, but really counter-culture) as they should.  On that note, JJ also skipped all the interesting questions about augments in favor of pew pew lasers in the last one.

Dot is right and there is a reason many scientists and engineers have a soft spot for the franchise.  To 'only' go for entertainment is fine, but that doesn't mean its good sci-fi which is something the franchise should always attempt.  When you are talking comparisons, that has to be in the mix.  If it fails at the science (even via technobabble), then its not good Trek.   Trek is different.

Yet Trekkies around the world ignore that Star Trek has sound...in space.

Impossible elements shouldn't bother them if they can accept that one.

How so?  If anything, that is where the movies have failed (outside of IV and VI) to not be a socially relevant (ie a 'liberal' agenda, but really counter-culture) as they should.  On that note, JJ also skipped all the interesting questions about augments in favor of pew pew lasers.

Dot is right about the physics.  There is a reason many scientists and engineers have a soft spot for the franchise.  To 'only' go for entertainment is fine, but that doesn't mean its good sci-fi which is something the franchise should always attempt.  You can't enter that kind of argument and 'not' care about such things.  When you are talking comparisons, that has to be in the mix.  If it fails at the science (even via technobabble), then its not good Trek.  Trek is different.

Hell, I'm still trying to get over him hiding the ship underwater on Nibiru.

I really don't know how to explain it, but compared to the first three films and the year it was released, being one that was all about saving green things is just ironic that they chose that path. Maybe I need to watch it again as it has been a long time since I saw it but I just remember not being impressed with it. I know my father (who is a HUGE ST fan since the TV show) was critical of it too. 

I tried to find what I am thinking about online and all I came up with is various ranting blogs about how ST is liberal and Star Wars is conservative which is pretty funny to read. But if I had to choose, I enjoy ST a lot more these days than I do Star Wars and its universe. 

Yet Trekkies around the world ignore that Star Trek has sound...in space.

Impossible elements shouldn't bother them if they can accept that one.

They do?  News to me.  And even if so, how is such a minor quibble of production an excuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater?  Oops, we farted in space, might as well pull out the lightsabers and resort to supernaturalism.

I'm not saying it wasn't influenced by the climate of the day, whales were all the rage.  Good sci-fi should always strive to change a certain thing and then ask, what happens.

When you're at full impulse you aren't just "falling" to Earth either. A car doesn't stop rolling just because you've taken your foot off the gas pedal.

Agreed.  They were moving and getting attacked.  Things hitting the enterprise cause things to happen to the ship.  Newtons third law.

So things floating in space stop now?  Stuff in movies is much faster than in reality.  Would you honestly prefer to sit there for 5 hours (or however long it takes depending on their speed) to reach Earth's gravity well?

I do not know about you, but that would be boring.