BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

?In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.

source

I don't think this sterotype should be applied to BMW drivers. On the other hand, men that lift their trucks on huge tires in order to make it a borderline monster truck....much more likely to be "jerks" :)

According to another "study" I've read about, Audi drivers are the least faithful/most promiscuous LOL

LOL! 

Glad I decided not to go with BMW and bought an Infinite lol

Heh, I have seen this more from BMW drivers. Having said that, it doesn't matter what brand you drive, there are just jerks everywhere.

The worst jerks around here are Prius (Prii?) drivers and minivan drivers. I could be driving with the flow of traffic on highway, and Prius drivers just have to overtake everyone. What is the point of an economical car if you're going to drive wildly? Minivan drivers - I have seen parents WITH kids in the minivans swerve in between traffic/speed. That just boggles my mind!

I'm a new BMW driver, and I love the car, but I don't drive like the BMW driver explained in the article. I've actually gotten weird looks from pedestrians when I stop and let them pass, so there must be some truth in this :laugh:

It's hard to say... I know a BMW driver who is a jerk that likes to make a point that he has a BMW, but that's only one of many BMW drivers I know.

I wonder if they're going to do a study to find what car is driven by the most dangerous drivers (not observing traffic rules, making stupid decisions, etc.)

My guesses would be: PT Cruiser, Nissan Altima, Chevrolet Impala

Whenever I see one of these vehicles on the road, I get as far away from them as I can.

Well here in the UK, BMW's used to be driven pretty much exclusively by Old People, now they have become the car of choice for Chavs and Drug Dealers. So none of these people are really desirable on the Roads  :rofl:

What I have never understood about Audi/BMW drivers is that if you buy an expensive car like that, why run the risk of wrecking it buy driving like an ass. 

Great safety features!

Plus the insurance is very expensive on those cars. They just want their money's worth.

How about the drivers of the absurd trucks raised way off the ground with huge mud tires and loud exhaust pipes on both sides.   I think its very subjective when it comes down to which drivers are the biggest jerks because its all based on experiences.

Great safety features!

Plus the insurance is very expensive on those cars. They just want their money's worth.

Insurance in my area is cheap - An Accord is similar to a BMW 3 series, and when I had the CLS, it wasn't that much more. Depends on your records/where you live.

How about the drivers of the absurd trucks raised way off the ground with huge mud tires and loud exhaust pipes on both sides.   I think its very subjective when it comes down to which drivers are the biggest jerks because its all based on experiences.

Then you have drivers like this

• Like 1

My neighbor used to be in the service department at a BMW dealership.  He would totally agree with that statement.

Customers all seemed to be entitled ######.

A raised pickup truck is practical, if you are a carpenter living in the rugged mountains of Alaska. When gas prices rise to 6.00/gallon, maybe people will realize that some of the vehicles they drive are totally impractical.

post-455563-0-91257700-1376530399.jpg

A raised pickup truck is practical, if you are a carpenter living in the rugged mountains of Alaska. When gas prices rise to 6.00/gallon, maybe people will realize that some of the vehicles they drive are totally impractical.

attachicon.gifpractical.jpg

Compromise?

2766639964_68bc4452e9_z.jpg

My father used his 2000 Subaru outback for construction when he had to sell his truck . He put his nail guns, and table saws in the back. He also put ladders and lumber on the roof. It worked out well, except for when it came fill and larger things. Before his 2004 Toyota truck, my father also had a 1990 Ford F150 that sucked gas like no tomorrow and ran out on a couple of occasions. The transmission later completely fell apart in pieces on the highway before he got the new, then sold truck  :laugh:

Nothing, and I mean nothing will come close to Lexus SUV drivers.  They took the crown from BMW drivers ages ago to the point that I literally cringe whenever I see one anymore as those asshats invariably do something really really dumb.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will come close to Lexus SUV drivers.  They took the crown from BMW drivers ages ago to the point that I literally cringe whenever I see one anymore as those asshats invariably do something really really dumb.

I was watching an old episode of Top Gear last night and on the news section when they showed a Lexus SUV, Clarkson went: " You don't want to buy this unless you are a drug dealer from Los Angeles ".

Still laughing :D

• 3 weeks later...

^ I buy the gas and I make the payments, so I get to decide what is practical for me, and what is not. :p

Spoken like a true American.

• Like 3

As both a car and a motorbike driver I can attest to the fact make or model has no bearing on the issue.There are plenty of bad drivers in both camps ...and they all intensely hate the other camp sometimes to the point of near accidental [or suicidal] extremes.

I'd absolutely agree that BMW are the as*holes of the road.  Same goes with many VW drivers.

BMWs aren't exactly that expensive or luxurious, so people buy them and then think they're king of the road since it's fast.

Then with VWs, it's a lot of dumb kids that don't have any care or regard for anybody else.  On one side, it's the rich kid that got the brand new model from mommy and daddy and think their better than anybody else.  On the other, it's a kid that buys a junker Jetta or Golf for $500, proceeds to clamp the suspension, put a fart-can on it, and think they have a 9 second car.  We'll see the lawnmover-toned eye-soar blazing down the roads for a few months and then we'll see it blown up on the side of the road.  

Alright, I've had my fun.  But in all seriousness, when I look in my rear-view mirror and see some moron going 100mph and weaving through traffic, 95% of the time it's a BMW or VW.