usa united kingdom aggressive pedestrians high-status road-rage

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:34

Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

“In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.

source

#2 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,318 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:15

According to another "study" I've read about, Audi drivers are the least faithful/most promiscuous LOL

#3 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:25

I don't think this sterotype should be applied to BMW drivers. On the other hand, men that lift their trucks on huge tires in order to make it a borderline monster truck....much more likely to be "jerks" :)

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,763 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:43

According to another "study" I've read about, Audi drivers are the least faithful/most promiscuous LOL

LOL! 

Glad I decided not to go with BMW and bought an Infinite lol

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:58

.... aggressive driving and swearing.

I've done that in my Honda. :laugh:

#6 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,748 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:02

That's not true! I drive a BMW and... oh.

#7 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,660 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:11

Heh, I have seen this more from BMW drivers. Having said that, it doesn't matter what brand you drive, there are just jerks everywhere.

The worst jerks around here are Prius (Prii?) drivers and minivan drivers. I could be driving with the flow of traffic on highway, and Prius drivers just have to overtake everyone. What is the point of an economical car if you're going to drive wildly? Minivan drivers - I have seen parents WITH kids in the minivans swerve in between traffic/speed. That just boggles my mind!

I'm a new BMW driver, and I love the car, but I don't drive like the BMW driver explained in the article. I've actually gotten weird looks from pedestrians when I stop and let them pass, so there must be some truth in this :laugh:

#8 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:14

It's hard to say... I know a BMW driver who is a jerk that likes to make a point that he has a BMW, but that's only one of many BMW drivers I know.

I wonder if they're going to do a study to find what car is driven by the most dangerous drivers (not observing traffic rules, making stupid decisions, etc.)

My guesses would be: PT Cruiser, Nissan Altima, Chevrolet Impala

Whenever I see one of these vehicles on the road, I get as far away from them as I can.

#9 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:15

Well here in the UK, BMW's used to be driven pretty much exclusively by Old People, now they have become the car of choice for Chavs and Drug Dealers. So none of these people are really desirable on the Roads  :rofl:

#10 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:37

What I have never understood about Audi/BMW drivers is that if you buy an expensive car like that, why run the risk of wrecking it buy driving like an ass. 

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:40

What I have never understood about Audi/BMW drivers is that if you buy an expensive car like that, why run the risk of wrecking it buy driving like an ass. 

Great safety features!

Plus the insurance is very expensive on those cars. They just want their money's worth.

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:45

How about the drivers of the absurd trucks raised way off the ground with huge mud tires and loud exhaust pipes on both sides.   I think its very subjective when it comes down to which drivers are the biggest jerks because its all based on experiences.

#13 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,660 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:49

Great safety features!

Plus the insurance is very expensive on those cars. They just want their money's worth.

Insurance in my area is cheap - An Accord is similar to a BMW 3 series, and when I had the CLS, it wasn't that much more. Depends on your records/where you live.

How about the drivers of the absurd trucks raised way off the ground with huge mud tires and loud exhaust pipes on both sides.   I think its very subjective when it comes down to which drivers are the biggest jerks because its all based on experiences.

Then you have drivers like this

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:20

I don't think we need a study to tell us that. We already knew it.

#15 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:24

My neighbor used to be in the service department at a BMW dealership.  He would totally agree with that statement.

Customers all seemed to be entitled ######.