Last Straw with Gmail

I have been using Gmail for many years now and their new so called redesign is merely a new way to get "legitimized spam". I am just about done with Gmail, my spam folder is spam laden most of the time and now Google decides to add tabs for more "legitimized spam" emails.  I got rid of the spam tabs and now I'm getting harassed by Ebay and Newegg to not forget to put them in my primary tabs. Another thing that is making me make the switch is the new windowed reply and compose feature. I am now slowly making the switch over to Outlook which is a much better, cleaner and efficient email service which does everything Gmail does and more (other than spam)! Is anyone else getting angry and annoyed with Gmail?

post-455563-0-14414800-1376516321.jpg

post-455563-0-01051200-1376516421.jpg

I have been using Gmail for many years now and their new so called redesign is merely a new way to get "legitimized spam". I am just about done with Gmail, my spam folder is spam laden most of the time and now Google decides to add tabs for more "legitimized spam" emails.  I got rid of the spam tabs and now I'm getting harassed by Ebay and Newegg to not forget to put them in my primary tabs. Another thing that is making me make the switch is the new windowed reply and compose feature. I am now slowly making the switch over to Outlook which is a much better, cleaner and efficient email service which does everything Gmail does and more (other than spam)! Is anyone else getting angry and annoyed with Gmail?

attachicon.gifspamming.jpg

attachicon.gifbad.jpg

I haven't seen what you described above yet.  I did get the same email from Newegg but I don't have the tabs yet.  I guess I will see if it bothers me when mine gets updated.  However I have loved most of the changes that Google has implemented in the past.  We all have to use what we feel works best for us though.  More power to you and your choices.  Hope Outlook works out better for you.

I've stopped using web mail clients (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo), only because my phone and tablet are great. I rarely send personal email anyways. Eh, use what suits you best, and move on. It's just email. 

Eh I'm not a fan of webmail in general, I use it when I have to (sitting on somebody else's machine, etc) but 99.9% of the time I'll take Outlook, or Thunderbird if I'm on a *Nix machine, plus whatever mail clients on the mobile device in question. No annoyances, no ads (well except my one account specifically set up to register for forums, etc, that gets plenty but I never look at it), plus the various addons/tricks/etc that webmail just can't do. I do agree though, really dislike the latest changes to the GMail web interface, took a step backward with that one. I haven't ever gotten junk mail from GMail though, not once, not in the inbox anyway, have that crap spam tab hidden, haven't had anything try and peek out yet. (And I'll kill off GMail on the spot if it ever does, not my primary mail anyway, nor is there a lack of alternatives.)

Why not get your own email service or set it up, or pay a decent company to provide you one? Good things ain't free. Gmail and Outlook ain't good, they work and fit most of the population, but they aren't "good" products.

Gmail does have the best spam filter. iCloud and Outlook often let a string of similar spam messages through before they catch them.

The Gmail UI has been getting worse and worse over time. When I have to sit and think, "uh, how do I reply?" for more than a second, you're doing something wrong.

Gmail does have the best spam filter. iCloud and Outlook often let a string of similar spam messages through before they catch them.

That may be your experience, but mine has been the other way around.

Why not get your own email service or set it up, or pay a decent company to provide you one? Good things ain't free. Gmail and Outlook ain't good, they work and fit most of the population, but they aren't "good" products.

I would disagree with this actually. I find the email experience that MS offers to be fantastic - on topic their spam filter is 99%+ (I get approximately 1 spam email a week, and about 40 end up in my junk each day). Off topic the OTHER services they provide absolutely destroy anything IMAP/POP/etc can offer. Having all my contacts, calendars, files (skydrive) in one location is simply unbeatable.

Oh, and I like the simplistic look of outlook.com...but that's a personal preference.

I have 3 Gmail accounts and all 3 have only ever been used to store junk. Gmail was NEVER that great anyway and has ALWAYS been a spammer haven!!

Then again,

There is NOTHING I particularly like about Google anyway! :x

I have a domain on the free Google Apps.  I don't like the way Google keep changing the mail client.  Outlook is much cleaner and does the job you require from it.  The only reason I haven't switched yet though is the lack of being able to assign photos to my contacts. 

That may be your experience, but mine has been the other way around.

You get more spam on Gmail? I've found if anything they're overly aggressive on spam, actually moving things that I get on a reoccurring basis but only read occasionally into my spam folder.

I probably should just forward it all to iCloud though, the UI there is tons better, and I already use that calendar.

I'm confused, the last straw is that your spam folder is properly catching your spam and is therefore full, and  Gmail's new organization makes it easier to see which emails are just advertising and promotions rather than normal mail? That really makes no sense. Stop signing up for mailing lists if you don't want to get the emails. If you don't like that they send you another email asking you to change their category in Gmail, complain to the company that sent it, not Google for giving you more organizational options. Gmail isn't responsible for your spam, you are by using your email address all over the web. Have fun with Outlook.com and it's frequent down time though.

Gmail is my webmail of choice.  I didn't like the tabs, but I disabled them so it acts the same as old.   Also, I have had the pop out compose for a long long time.. I quite like it.  Also google is my primary search.. the only time I use bing is to check if the auto-suggest result pictures are legit.

Funny.  I have not really had much spam since I started using GMAIL during the beta stages.  I dont have much spam on any of my email accounts really except for Yahoo.   Yahoo only because I use that email address to register for sites that require it to view/dl content.  If you put your email in public areas that are easily found out/searched for...you will get a lot of spam.  Why I have Yahoo as my spam account.  Never got spam ads in GMAIL after I opted out and disabled those annoying tabs.

As far as the new message window, to each their own.

I'm curious, what is the alternative that you expect most people to be using now?

A real mail client maybe?  Quite a lot of them floating around.  Typically a lot more flexible and has more features too, and more likely than not you can set it up how you want instead of being stuck with what's given to you.  No ads being sent by the webmail host either.  Webmail's convenient when you're on a public machine or something, but a true client is 1000% more convenient and flexible.

A real mail client maybe?  Quite a lot of them floating around.  Typically a lot more flexible and has more features too, and more likely than not you can set it up how you want instead of being stuck with what's given to you.  No ads being sent by the webmail host either.  Webmail's convenient when you're on a public machine or something, but a true client is 1000% more convenient and flexible.

Ah ok makes sense, I don't really use personal email much anyway for anything other than signing up to something so i've never cared enough to install an actual client other than Outlook for work. I know I could add my hotmail and gmail accounts too also but I kinda don't want the distraction. 

I just thought I was missing out on some wonderful alternative to email completely!

I don't see what the issue is with the new compose interface, it's an improvement over the old one (The old one would save the email as a draft if you went back to the inbox, the new interface lets you browse around while keeping the email up). I also don't see what the issue is with the tabs either, I disabled them because I didn't like them, but it's got nothing to do with spam (if anything it's a way to hide promotional emails, hence why sites are trying to get you to unhide them)

• Like 2

Gmail is my webmail of choice.  I didn't like the tabs, but I disabled them so it acts the same as old.   Also, I have had the pop out compose for a long long time.. I quite like it.  Also google is my primary search.. the only time I use bing is to check if the auto-suggest result pictures are legit.

Same here. Its sad that you guys find gmail confusing to use. The new pop out compose is soo useful especially if i need to go back to another email and need to copy something and paste it back to a new email.

I'd definitely call webmail like Gmail and Outlook.com FAR more convenient. I can't imagine going back after using webmail for so long.