The Walls of Xbox Live

So my desktop PC is considered a TV as well, just because it has access to play back TV shows from DVD?

I guess iTunes is a TV service as well right?

Everything is JUST a tv service?

Providing video content on demand DOES NOT mean that service is "tv".  TV = access to many (sometimes several hundred) channels, watching live shows and news, and resorting to a TV guide to see what is on channel X.

It does NOT matter that they offer TV shows.  Netflix is officially labeled video content streaming service.  NOT a TV service.

What if you are watching a movie?  Netflix magically changes to a movie theater service?

• Like 1

If 'Gamers' just wanna game.  Why should it matter to them that Netflix and Hulu and whatever apps are behinds a pay wall?  All 'gamers' want is the games correct?  So any app thats behind a pay wall should be of no concern because it does not interfere with gaming.  

Like I said though. 'Gamers' are the very complainers, I am talking about.  Stop yelling that you don't want tv,tv,tv (Netflix, Hulu, NFL, the TV Guide overlay) and just resources dedicated to gaming and then go into ANGRY MOB mode, because you need a Gold Pass for Netflix. House of Cards and Arrested Development shouldn't matter when you have your 'GAMING CONSOLE' on.  Right? Right?  It makes people hypocrites at the end of the day.

If 'Gamers' just wanna game.  Why should it matter to them that Netflix and Hulu and whatever apps are behinds a pay wall?  All 'gamers' want is the games correct?  So any app thats behind a pay wall should be of no concern because it does not interfere with gaming.  

Like I said though. 'Gamers' are the very complainers, I am talking about.  Stop yelling that you don't want tv,tv,tv (Netflix, Hulu, NFL, the TV Guide overlay) and just resources dedicated to gaming and then go into ANGRY MOB mode, because you need a Gold Pass for Netflix. House of Cards and Arrested Development shouldn't matter when you have your 'GAMING CONSOLE' on.  Right? Right?  It makes people hypocrites at the end of the day.

Maybe because Microsoft should not be allowed to get away with it?  You know, the principle of the situation.  The fact that, as far as I know, Xbox is the ONLY THING that requires a third payment to watch Netflix or Hulu.  The ONLY ONE!

Maybe because Microsoft should not be allowed to get away with it?  You know, the principle of the situation.  The fact that, as far as I know, Xbox is the ONLY THING that requires a third payment to watch Netflix or Hulu.  The ONLY ONE!

Why is there a massive uproar about it now? It was launched FIVE YEARS AGO. Surely there should of been mass protests and people trying to get MS to 180 on it up to this point? No people got on with their lives because it effects no-one.

Prime example of people complaining about anything they can.

Try and spin it all you want.  The complaint is not about Gamers wanting gaming.  Granted they don't give a **** about skype, NFL, or live TV Services.   However, the complaint is that users already pay for netflix, 8$ a month (over 100$ a year due to conversion rates) and in order to access it on XBL you have to pay Microsoft.

While yes, more is unlocked than just netflix.. it's the concept of paying twice to access one thing.  That on every other device.. you have access to.. without paying an extra service fee.

Also, I consider myself a gamer, however when I have friends over.. it's nice to be able to turn on netflix.. none of my friends come over to watch live TV/Surf channels.   No, they come over to play games.. watch movies, etc.  None of us care about the Xbox Guide, NFL, Skype (hell I even used msn reviver to stop the update on my pc), or live TV through the console.  Yet we are all gamers, and we like to watch netflix.

They're referring to OneGuide which is the tv guide you get if you choose to use passthrough. There is no more Xbox guide anymore. The Xbox button takes you to the dashboard because it can switch between that and a game seamlessly now.

Given that Media Center for Windows has "the" best PVR guide, and it's free, and all other pvr apps, to have a decent guide, require a fee, I'm going to say putting this guide behind Xbox Live is fine, maybe even appropriate given the cost. Again, give Silver users IE & Netflix and I'm basically good on principle with the pay wall.

One thing at least Americans don't go for is double taxation, that's a no no. And having to pay to use Netflix app is exactly that IMO. But hey, most TVs and Bluray players include a Netflix app you can use for free anyway. Hey, that makes it even more ludicrous that MS has it behind Gold ... nevermind. :)

Now you're just totally spinning the complaints. People were complaining (and rightly so) that the primary focus of the reveal event was on television features. Gamers dont mind additional features as long as they dont detract from the primary purpose of gaming.

• Like 1

So my desktop PC is considered a TV as well, just because it has access to play back TV shows from DVD?

I guess iTunes is a TV service as well right?

Everything is JUST a tv service?

Providing video content on demand DOES NOT mean that service is "tv".  TV = access to many (sometimes several hundred) channels, watching live shows and news, and resorting to a TV guide to see what is on channel X.

It does NOT matter that they offer TV shows.  Netflix is officially labeled video content streaming service.  NOT a TV service.

What if you are watching a movie?  Netflix magically changes to a movie theater service?

If you are watching a tv show on your desktop, you are watching a 'tv show' so therefore its a television if thats it's purpose at the time.  

Yes you are watching tv via iTunes.  If you are watching a movie then your watching a movie...Then yes, what ever device your watching it on becomes a movie player.

Try and spin it all you want.  The complaint is not about Gamers wanting gaming.  Granted they don't give a **** about skype, NFL, or live TV Services.   However, the complaint is that users already pay for netflix, 8$ a month (over 100$ a year due to conversion rates) and in order to access it on XBL you have to pay Microsoft.

While yes, more is unlocked than just netflix.. it's the concept of paying twice to access one thing.  That on every other device.. you have access to.. without paying an extra service fee.

Also, I consider myself a gamer, however when I have friends over.. it's nice to be able to turn on netflix.. none of my friends come over to watch live TV/Surf channels.   No, they come over to play games.. watch movies, etc.  None of us care about the Xbox Guide, NFL, Skype (hell I even used msn reviver to stop the update on my pc), or live TV through the console.  Yet we are all gamers, and we like to watch netflix.

You do know Netflix launched on the 360 in 2008 right? With the same pay restrictions as it does now?

Why is there a massive uproar about it now? It was launched FIVE YEARS AGO. Surely there should of been mass protests and people trying to get MS to 180 on it up to this point? No people got on with their lives because it effects no-one.

No.  It is a new console.  The fact that we are complaining is that it is STILL this way, even after 5 years.  Not because it was not an issue with the 360 and it was.  But the fact that even with a new console they are still putting it behind a paywall.

Now you're just totally spinning the complaints. People were complaining (and rightly so) that the primary focus of the reveal event was on television features. Gamers dont mind additional features as long as they dont detract from the primary purpose of gaming.

Which it doesn't.

No.  It is a new console.  The fact that we are complaining is that it is STILL this way, even after 5 years.  Not because it was not an issue with the 360 and it was.  But the fact that even with a new console they are still putting it behind a paywall.

Have you sat at your 360 for 5 years dreaming about that one day you could gather enough pennies together to click that Netflix icon? No, so shut up.

Which it doesn't.

In your opinion.

Spending $400m dollars on an American exclusive TV feature certainly doesnt fall under gaming for me though.

People have never "not" complained about Netflix being behind a Gold sub on Xbox. That's why PS3 became the #1 Netflix console rather quickly, and rightly. You're hearing about it now of course, because MS is about to release another console with Netflix behind a wall. It's another opportunity to maybe get them to make a proper change. Once it's released the voices will die down as that opportunity is gone. Those who feel strongly will use a Playstation or other free Netflix app host.

I will grant that, for all we know, Netflix may have requested this to earn a few more pennies.

If you are watching a tv show on your desktop, you are watching a 'tv show' so therefore its a television if thats it's purpose at the time.  

Yes you are watching tv via iTunes.  If you are watching a movie then your watching a movie...Then yes, what ever device your watching it on becomes a movie player.

No it is not.  A desktop PC is a desktop PC.  It does not change form factors, or unload the OS, or not let you run MS Word while you are watching a TV Show DVD or a Movie DVD.  A desktop PC does not become a TV just because I put a TV show dvd in the drive.  What if I watch a TV show on one monitor and work on a MS Word document on another monitor?  What does my desktop pc become then?  Is it still a TV in your eyes?

In your opinion.

Spending $400m dollars on an American exclusive TV feature certainly doesnt fall under gaming for me though.

Which is outweighed by $1 billion by the 1st party exclusives. See where the priorities are here people?

People like to have a good clutch on those straws.

No it is not.  A desktop PC is a desktop PC.  It does not change form factors, or unload the OS, or not let you run MS Word while you are watching a TV Show DVD or a Movie DVD.  A desktop PC does not become a TV just because I put a TV show dvd in the drive.  What if I watch TV on one monitor and work on a MS Word document on another monitor?  What does my desktop pc become then?  Is it still a TV in your eyes?

You guys are arguing semantics. When I watch Media Center Full screen it is a TV at that point. With a fantastic Guide and PVR. A PC is all those things, it is a multipurpose/function device. It's a gaming machine, it's a TV, it's a video editing station, etc. etc. And it is always a PC.

Have you sat at your 360 for 5 years dreaming about that one day you could gather enough pennies together to click that Netflix icon? No, so shut up.

Um no.  Do you want to know what I did?  Got a PS3 instead.  Guess what.  NO PAY WALL!

And no it is not because I am cheap.  I spend hundreds, maybe a thousand dollars a year on TV shows and movies on iTunes.  I also purchase the Blu-Ray for the really good stuff.  I still pay for Netflix.

Um no.  Do you want to know what I did?  Got a PS3 instead.  Guess what.  NO PAY WALL!

Exactly the response I was predicting. Aww, fanboyism's cute. Got a link to your XBL account?

Which is outweighed by $1 billion by the 1st party exclusives. See where the priorities are here people?

400m on JUST american content.  What about the other 600+m they will spend on content for other countries.. 1b in 1st party exclusives satisfies every market..  400m on American content only satisfies the American market.

Exactly the response I was predicting. Aww, fanboyism's cute. Got a link to your XBL account?

Hmm.  I have an Xbox but I do not have Gold.  But I am a fanboy?

I have purchased 4 Xbox consoles.  Not because they broke, but because I like the new models and the special editions.

I really love that when somebody does not like something, and wants to fight to get it to change so it will benefit EVERYBODY, people are classed as a fanboy at that point.  I have had many Xbox consoles.  I even developed for it with XNA.  But oh yes I am a fanboy!

• Like 2

Hey now, that's why I just bought a PS3, again. And I have an Xbox. Just haven't renewed my Gold in 6 months, lol. No need to, most multiplayer is FPS and I hate FPS. (But I will be playing Wolfenstein New Order, on some platform.)

• Like 1

Well games development is extraordinarily expensive, so spending almost half what you have dedicated to games on a tv feature exclusive to a single market doesnt seem like they have their priorities straight at all to me. 

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity?compareTo=the%20better%20twin

Am I still a Sony fanboy desperate to bash Microsoft?

• Like 1