The Walls of Xbox Live

Exactly the response I was predicting. Aww, fanboyism's cute. Got a link to your XBL account?

I don't think people understand sometimes.  No matter the side features the Xbox One has, it DOES NOT interfere with gaming what so ever.  No matter the $$$ the invested in the 'Bonus Features of the Xbox One,  the investment they put into it trumps that hands down.

But the very complainers who 'JUST WANT TO GAME' are now screaming about tv, media content on demand (or whatever name you want to give Netflix, Hulu, etc) are behind a pay wall.  It still makes them hypocrites, because at the end of the day "All I want to do, is sit down and game" is false, false, false.  You want to game for 3-4 hours and Netflix and Hulu for 6-10 hours... Therefore people are not the GAMERS they claim to be.

Jonny, you actually get it... 

400m on JUST american content.  What about the other 600+m they will spend on content for other countries.. 1b in 1st party exclusives satisfies every market..  400m on American content only satisfies the American market.

What? That doesn't even make sense. Sony are investing money in a IPTV service to, are you going to say they haven't got their priorities right either?

Hmm.  I have an Xbox but I do not have Gold.  But I am a fanboy?

I have purchased 4 Xbox consoles.  Not because they broke, but because I like the new models and the special editions.

You'd have silver at least.

Hey now, that's why I just bought a PS3, again. And I have an Xbox. Just haven't renewed my Gold in 6 months, lol. No need to, most multiplayer is FPS and I hate FPS. (But I will be playing Wolfenstein New Order, on some platform.)

Well you're right to be annoyed then, but if you forked out money for another console just because of Netflix, wouldn't it of been wiser just to pay $40 and get gold? 

Well games development is extraordinarily expensive, so spending almost half what you have dedicated to games on a tv feature exclusive to a single market doesnt seem like they have their priorities straight at all to me. 

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Activity?compareTo=the%20better%20twin

Am I still a Sony fanboy desperate to bash Microsoft?

I didn't miss your avatar, and you're gold so why do you care?

Haha people get so uptight.

**snip**

For shame Twin, lol. Do not post a link to your XBL account again until you get those last two Minesweeper achievements. :D

post-59115-0-79013600-1376659225.png

• Like 2

Well you're right to be annoyed then, but if you forked out money for another console just because of Netflix, wouldn't it of been wiser just to pay $40 and get gold? 

Yes. But, I was on the fence and the refurb price was just right. I wanted one to play my fav Wipeout HD again, Last of Us, and to replay Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. With the exception of Last of Us those are 3 of my top 7 fav games and exclusive to PS3. When I realized I couldn't use Netflix when my sub lapsed, and the sale came up, that's all she wrote. Plus Netflix is 1080p on PS3 and it's Bluray player has great Bitstream output. It's a nice piece of hardware expecially with an Xbox Controller, but I digress.

I've been waiting forever for Killer Instinct and that will probably be the only thing that eventually gets me to buy a next gen console.

These so called 'Gamers' are mad because BIG BAD MICROSOFT, is changing the way people do everything.  Xbox Live is NOT perfect by any means nor it's rules and regulations in some parts.  

People just want a Wild, Wild, West approach to things, and Microsoft wont give them that, so they fall on floor and tantrum away.  

I don't think people understand sometimes.  No matter the side features the Xbox One has, it DOES NOT interfere with gaming what so ever.  No matter the $$$ the invested in the 'Bonus Features of the Xbox One,  the investment they put into it trumps that hands down.

But the very complainers who 'JUST WANT TO GAME' are now screaming about tv, media content on demand (or whatever name you want to give Netflix, Hulu, etc) are behind a pay wall.  It still makes them hypocrites, because at the end of the day "All I want to do, is sit down and game" is false, false, false.  You want to game for 3-4 hours and Netflix and Hulu for 6-10 hours... Therefore people are not the GAMERS they claim to be.

Jonny, you actually get it... 

Again...because EVERY single other device does not have a payway for Netflix.  But OHHH it is okay for Microsoft to have one just because the are the almighty Microsoft?

It would be fine if PS3, Apple TV, Roku, and others charged for netflix as well.  The fact that they don't just shows that Microsoft is just greedy.

If it was Sony that required Netflix to be a PS+ only feature, and it was free on Xbox, I would be complaining about the PS3/PS4 as well!  So don't tell me it is fanboyism.

Yes. But, I was on the fence and the refurb price was just right. I wanted one to play my fav Wipeout HD again, Last of Us, and to replay Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. With the exception of Last of Us those are 3 of my top 7 fav games and exclusive to PS3. When I realized I couldn't use Netflix when my sub lapsed, and the sale came up, that's all she wrote. Plus Netflix is 1080p on PS3 and it's Bluray player has great Bitstream output. It's a nice piece of hardware expecially with an Xbox Controller, but I digress.

I've been waiting forever for Killer Instinct and that will probably be the only thing that eventually gets me to buy a next gen console.

You didn't buy it for Netflix then, so there's no argument.

People are acting like I agree with the paywall, which I don't. It just doesn't annoy me since I'm a gold member.

In your opinion.

Spending $400m dollars on an American exclusive TV feature certainly doesnt fall under gaming for me though.

What does it matter to consumers what MS spends their money on?  :rolleyes:

They could spend a billion on staplers and that would be exactly jack ######.

What? That doesn't even make sense. Sony are investing money in a IPTV service to, are you going to say they haven't got their priorities right either?

You'd have silver at least.

I didn't miss your avatar, and you're gold so why do you care?

Haha people get so uptight.

As i said earlier, I'm not that bothered. Its a minor niggle, I can see why it annoys others though. 

For shame Twin, lol. Do not post a link to your XBL account again until you get those last two Minesweeper achievements. :D

Ha ha I think ive only played the game twice. Im not an achievement junkie either... 

....Are they easy to get? :P 

As i said earlier, I'm not that bothered. Its a minor niggle, I can see why it annoys others though. 

Well I take anything I said back then, obviously I didn't get that. I was just on a multi-quote rampage.

You didn't buy it for Netflix then, so there's no argument.

People are acting like I agree with the paywall, which I don't. It just doesn't annoy me since I'm a gold member.

JFTR, if not for Netflix, I would not have bought it. Seriously. It came around at the right time. When I was ###### about Netflix and refused to renew to use it on XBL. It really is the principle, not the cost or value of XBL otherwise.

I don't have a problem with the paywall itself, but you can't stand buy and let them put things free everywhere else behind a paywall. IE is there, what's next. It's just not right. Put added/extra value behind a paywall.

Ha ha I think ive only played the game twice. Im not an achievement junkie either... 

....Are they easy to get? :p 

hahahaha, yeah they're easy, that's why it's so funny.

Again...because EVERY single other device does not have a payway for Netflix.  But OHHH it is okay for Microsoft to have one just because the are the almighty Microsoft?

It would be fine if PS3, Apple TV, Roku, and others charged for netflix as well.  The fact that they don't just shows that Microsoft is just greedy.

If it was Sony that required Netflix to be a PS+ only feature, and it was free on Xbox, I would be complaining about the PS3/PS4 as well!  So don't tell me it is fanboyism.

So the real complaint is, Microsoft is NOT joining the 'other guys' on the block.

So people want Microsoft to do as others do?   Its not a matter of fanboyism.  It's a matter of 'gamers wanna game' and what ever is behind that pay wall outside of gaming should not matter because it does not interfere with the core function of gaming at all.

JFTR, if not for Netflix, I would not have bought it. Seriously. It came around at the right time. When I was ****ed about Netflix and refused to renew to use it on XBL. It really is the principle, not the cost or value of XBL otherwise.

I don't have a problem with the paywall itself, but you can't stand buy and let them put things free everywhere else behind a paywall. IE is there, what's next. It's just not right. Put added/extra value behind a paywall.

Its not the pay wall I agree with, it's peoples aimless complaining when it doesn't effect them. People complain just to complain.

I feel for you then, because that is leaving you in the ****. Just out of curiosity, why don't you pay for gold? I know some of my mates struggle in the UK because it doesn't accept Mastercard, which is beyond ridiculous.

People spend $300 - $500 on whatever "gaming console" they desire.  And then complain about Netflix behind a pay wall. 

If you, purchased a console of that price for Netflix... Well never mind... 

Just buy a blu-ray player or roku.  save yourself some money. ... The new Roku's even have games on them.  So now you can Netflix and Hulu 80% of the time and Angry Birds away the other 20%.

Its not the pay wall I agree with, it's peoples aimless complaining when it doesn't effect them. People complain just to complain.

I feel for you then, because that is leaving you in the ****. Just out of curiosity, why don't you pay for gold? I know some of my mates struggle in the UK because it doesn't accept Mastercard, which is beyond ridiculous.

That's one of my biggest frustrations, people complain about the paywall, but they have a smart TV, Blu Ray player, PS, Wii or god knows how many other devices which can all have netflix. If this was the ONLY way to get access then I can understand, but there are other ways so just use them. 

I can only assume that despite Netflix being a 3rd party service, it still uses the XBLive service to get to it and is integrated behind the scenes somewhere that justifies this to MS. 

Out of curiosity, I would love to know someone's opinion on Netflix access on a Xbox vs PS3 scenario. Do they work the same or are there differences in layout, features or speed etc, if anyone can offer a subjective view on that it would be great.

EDIT: found this...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/media-streamer-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360/

Hate to add fuel to the fire... but at least in this ONE article i found... PS3 wins :p

That's one of my biggest frustrations, people complain about the paywall, but they have a smart TV, Blu Ray player, PS, Wii or god knows how many other devices which can all have netflix. If this was the ONLY way to get access then I can understand, but there are other ways so just use them. 

I can only assume that despite Netflix being a 3rd party service, it still uses the XBLive service to get to it and is integrated behind the scenes somewhere that justifies this to MS. 

Out of curiosity, I would love to know someone's opinion on Netflix access on a Xbox vs PS3 scenario. Do they work the same or are there differences in layout, features or speed etc, if anyone can offer a subjective view on that it would be great.

EDIT: found this...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/media-streamer-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360/

Hate to add fuel to the fire... but at least in this ONE article i found... PS3 wins :p

Personally I find the UI on the PS3 version to be the defacto UI what you find on like Smart TV's etc. I find the both very similar in terms of both performance and picture quality, but much prefer the UI on the 360 and that's due to how you select episodes and seasons on the 360.

Its no problem for me though, If I'm on the PS3 and want to watch Netflix, I don't change consoles for it.

Why I don't pay for Gold:

Just haven't renewed my Gold in 6 months, lol. No need to, most multiplayer is FPS and I hate FPS. (But I will be playing Wolfenstein New Order, on some platform.)

I will probably have to for Killer Instinct if I get an XBone though.

People spend $300 - $500 on whatever "gaming console" they desire.  And then complain about Netflix behind a pay wall. 

If you, purchased a console of that price for Netflix... Well never mind... 

Just buy a blu-ray player or roku.  save yourself some money. ... The new Roku's even have games on them.  So now you can Netflix and Hulu 80% of the time and Angry Birds away the other 20%.

Maybe they purchased it to play games, and just think it would be nice to use Netflix, etc.

I bought mine for some single player games years ago, no need for a Gold sub.

Now, 360 is obsolete as a gaming platform and I have zero interest in Xbone or PS4. I had a free year of gold and used it a lot for streaming content, but when it expired I didn't pay to renew.

Why would I? I have:

- WD TV Live: Netflix and Hulu access - no paywall

- Panasonic Blu-ray player: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon Video access - no paywall

- Samsung SmartTV: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Video, and HBO Go access - no paywall

At this point there's no reason to even keep my 360 connected. Paying for a Gold sub is just silly. A paywall to use a web browser? Really? Keep defending though.

Why I don't pay for Gold:

Just haven't renewed my Gold in 6 months, lol. No need to, most multiplayer is FPS and I hate FPS. (But I will be playing Wolfenstein New Order, on some platform.)

I will probably have to for Killer Instinct if I get an XBone though.

Sorry I missed your post. Well that is the worst situation, not having any games to want to pay for Gold for but not being able to use it as a media box. The thing is though, I bet you have a million devices hooked to your TV which can run it. 

Maybe they purchased it to play games, and just think it would be nice to use Netflix, etc.

Now, 360 is obsolete as a gaming platform and I have zero interest in Xbone or PS4. I had a free year of gold and used it a lot for streaming content, but when it expired I didn't pay to renew.

Why would I? I have:

- Panasonic Blu-ray player: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon Video access - no paywall

- Samsung SmartTV: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Video, and HBO Go access - no paywall

At this point there's no reason to even keep my 360 connected. Paying for a Gold sub is just silly. A paywall to use a web browser? Really? Keep defending though.

IMO you're not really proving anything here... you don't NEED to pay for gold because you have other devices that achieve it. I don't think many here are defening MS's choice to put it behind a paywall, we are just trying to get the point across that they have been doing this for a long time, people have other devices that can allow you to get access to Netflix on your TV so is there really any need for the outrage that seems to be going on at the moment.

I am not trying to suggest this is what you personally are doing nor anyone else in this thread, but at the moment when people complain about things that really don't affect them, it just seems like another pointless MS bashing thread. MS are evil because of <insert random complaint of the day> and more than usual it's typically because PS3/4 does it better.

I think the person you were quoting's point was more around, no-body is going to spend the money it costs for an XB1 because they WANT the device for netflix when there are so many (as your post proves) other cheaper ways to achieve it. I honestly believe that out of those who want an XB1 for games, don't want gold and would like to use the XB1 for Netflix because they have no other media device that can connect to the TV will be very far and few between. That may be narrow minded but I think in todays society there are just far too many alternate devices out there that alot of people own. I won't believe the, I can't afford lots of fancy devices BS either because those same people won't be able to afford a service like Netflix either.... IMO.

1. buy a roku box

2. connect its hdmi out to Xb1's hdmi in

3. Profit??

or even shorter

1. don't buy XB1

2. STFU

Now you're just totally spinning the complaints. People were complaining (and rightly so) that the primary focus of the reveal event was on television features. Gamers dont mind additional features as long as they dont detract from the primary purpose of gaming.

They told (warned?) before hand that the reveal was going to be in two parts with gaming part covered in their E3 presentation. Anyone who complained about TV stuff in the first event is frankly stupid especially when they knew that it was not going to be all gaming (including me because I complained about lack of games up until 20ish mins into it).

Why would I? I have:

Its not a matter of defending whatsoever... That's the part that keeps going over everyone's head.... "Gamers" cry and complain that they just want to game... So anything behind the pay wall that does NOT hamper 'gaming' should not be of any concern to them.  Because it doesn't bother the core reason to which they bought the Xbox. Which is to game.

So "Gamers" should just admit to themselves that they do want to Netflix, Hulu, Tweet, Facebook, and browse more than game.  Also they should admit they would rather do it on an Xbox Platform (rather it be the 360 or soon to be released Xbox One)... Jump off the "Hate Wagon" and stop being hypocrites.  

Microsoft has what people want, and they don't want to admit it.  This very post proves that most do want, tv,tv,tv, sports,sports,sports, Netflix, Hulu, Browsing, etc as much as they want to CoD, Battlefield, GoW, Gears of War

And they want to do it on Xbox....

IMO you're not really proving anything here... you don't NEED to pay for gold because you have other devices that achieve it.

I'm proving that the paywall makes the 360 utterly useless.

Its not a matter of defending whatsoever... That's the part that keeps going over everyone's head.... "Gamers" cry and complain that they just want to game... So anything behind the pay wall that does NOT hamper 'gaming' should not be of any concern to them.  Because it doesn't bother the core reason to which they bought the Xbox. Which is to game.

So "Gamers" should just admit to themselves that they do want to Netflix, Hulu, Tweet, Facebook, and browse more than game.  Also they should admit they would rather do it on an Xbox Platform (rather it be the 360 or soon to be released Xbox One)... Jump off the "Hate Wagon" and stop being hypocrites.  

Microsoft has what people want, and they don't want to admit it.  This very post proves that most do want, tv,tv,tv, sports,sports,sports, Netflix, Hulu, Browsing, etc as much as they want to CoD, Battlefield, GoW, Gears of War

And they want to do it on Xbox....

That's the part I don't get. I pay for XBL Gold already and for me this is not a problem even though I don't like the paywall for anything including MP. This is when most of the time Netflix is running on my Xbox 360. So if you are a "gamer" and already have a XBL Gold sub, why do you complain?

It's in principle they say.

It's stupid I say.

If you don't care for online MP and don't have XBL Gold then I sort of understand your point. BUT you already knew this is how Xbox works.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.