World's most expensive car race kicks off, August 18th

On Sunday, Aug. 18, tune in at 10:30 a.m. Pacific Time (1:30 p.m. EST, 1730 GMT) for a high-resolution live video stream of the 63rd annual Pebble Beach Concours d?Elegance, the world?s premier collector car show, on Yahoo! Autos.

Despite the presence of celebrity emcees like Jay Leno, the cars are the stars here as more than 200 classic automobiles and their owners gather on the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach to compete for the coveted "Best of Show" trophy.

See below for more articles about the events, auctions, and historic motor races surrounding this automotive extravaganza on California's Monterey Peninsula. Enjoy the show; as Leno says: "It's the greatest car show on earth."

source & video

post-37120-0-91716800-1376580916.jpg

"emcees"

Why on Earth is this written this way?  It's MC.  Plural being MCs.  Very being MCing.

Same with DJ.  I am a DJ, not a "deejay".  Weird.

"emcees"

Why on Earth is this written this way?  It's MC.  Plural being MCs.  Very being MCing.

Same with DJ.  I am a DJ, not a "deejay".  Weird.

I've always wondered this too.  DJ is short for disc jockey.  MC is short for master of ceremony.  I don't really see the reason for spelling emcee out.

I've always wondered this too.  DJ is short for disc jockey.  MC is short for master of ceremony.  I don't really see the reason for spelling emcee out.

They've been doing it for many times as long as DJ has exised.

Love the cars and the show. Hate all the traffic when they are here....and the fact that I can't afford any of them! lol

Well it is a word since they decided to make it a word nearly a hundred years ago.. :/

They did things differently back then.

M.C. was used back then.  The link does not suggest "emcee" was as the date is associated with M.C.

11 posts and none is about the cars; sight... :/

anyways, would love to be there to enjoy seeing those rare cars. And it's funny that all of them are in more pristine condition (some with lots of decades old) than my 15 year Honda :woot:

PS: a Countach is there!

M.C. was used back then. The link does not suggest "emcee" was as the date is associated with M.C.

The dictionary says emcee is from the 1930's MC is from the 1600 or 1300 hundreds, to lazy to look it up right now.

Actually it was officially recognized in the dictionary in the 30's it's actual usage may be older.

Yes, but it's a spelling of a pronunciation.  It's not a word within it's own right.

Do you have a peecee or tablet?

On Topic: I hope they turn off the damage option for this race. That paint looks expensive.

• Like 1

(...)

On Topic: I hope they turn off the damage option for this race. That paint looks expensive.

:laugh:

The "race" is actually a car ride, very slow with some "special stages"; if one those cars malfunctions, the damaged parts are gonna be extremely expensive to fix :rofl:

I have a PC yes.  Do I have a peecee?  No because that isn't a word.

Is this thread monitored by the Effbeeaye?

No, it's monitored by some emcees at the enessay.

Holy **** who gives a ****. :rolleyes:

The funny part is someone from the UK is upset about the way a word is spelled.  I don't think many words spoken in the UK even resemble their spelling anymore. :P