• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

• 359 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:53

Hi Neowinians!

I often use VBA for my excel tasks at work because, lets face it, its amazing. When I heard that Office RT was not going to include support, i was a bit sad =( But I thought...its RT, its slimmed down, it doesn't want to keep the runtimes for VBA...i can understand that!

Just today I thought - "hey WINDOWS has support for VBS (VBScript), I wonder if that still works? To my surprise, it does!! Not that it is very helpful, as it can't interact with excel, but hey its there.

I know its just for philosophical discussion...but does anyone have any ideas why OFFICE dropped VB support, but Windows kept it?

#2 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,873 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:39

Err, VBScript can interop with Excel... Here's a quick & dirty basic example:

http://blogs.technet...excel-cell.aspx

#3 OP UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

• 359 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:12

Haha thanks Kami - I wasn't very clear, Windows 8 RT and Office RT - Office RT doesn't seem to ship with the Excel.Application libraries =(

#4 jamieakers

jamieakers

Neowinian

• 499 posts
  • Phone: Dell Venue Pro

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:26

Hi Neowinians!

I often use VBA for my excel tasks at work because, lets face it, its amazing. When I heard that Office RT was not going to include support, i was a bit sad =( But I thought...its RT, its slimmed down, it doesn't want to keep the runtimes for VBA...i can understand that!

Just today I thought - "hey WINDOWS has support for VBS (VBScript), I wonder if that still works? To my surprise, it does!! Not that it is very helpful, as it can't interact with excel, but hey its there.

I know its just for philosophical discussion...but does anyone have any ideas why OFFICE dropped VB support, but Windows kept it?

My guess would be having VBA support in Office would have the potential for malware distribution? 

#5 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,648 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 August 2013 - 22:05

Umm I have the latest Excel and after enabling the developer tab VB was there?