29 replies to this topic

#16 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,292 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 23:28

Apple: Introducing the world's first innovative iPhone 5S...in GOLD 

Crowd: OOOH AHHHH

Apple: It's a first, one of kind. The best iPhone yet. 

:laugh:

There have been other golden phones (D&G Razr anyone?)

Nokia had alot of Golden phones; never see anyone with one of those, not even the Nokia 8800 or even the Arte Editions of that model (only in shops).

It looked utter crap and this one doesn't get any better.

#17 vetsanctified

sanctified

A promise to myself: to be harder, to not care, to be cool.

• 20,557 posts
  • Phone: ..

Posted 16 August 2013 - 23:30

Worst design decision from Apple yet. However I would not be surprised if this results as a gold case made for someone in Dubai.

#18 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,596 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 23:33

Regardless, the iPhone gets better battery life than most phones on the market.

Wow... just no.

#19 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,292 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 23:41

(...)  Regardless, the iPhone gets better battery life than most phones on the market.  I can easily get 3 days of casual use on my 2 year old 4S.

hum...wut? Battery life better on the iPhone? Compared to what? I have a Nokia 1100 at work that it's battery lasts for 5 days; compared to other smartphones is equal or worse (source: all my clients who haves iPhones, varying from the 4 to 5).

And how you easily get 3 days with casual use (i imagine email, websites browsing, sms, calls, etc.) is beyond my head. :o

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,293 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 16 August 2013 - 23:58

hum...wut? Battery life better on the iPhone? Compared to what? I have a Nokia 1100 at work that it's battery lasts for 5 days; compared to other smartphones is equal or worse (source: all my clients who haves iPhones, varying from the 4 to 5).

And how you easily get 3 days with casual use (i imagine email, websites browsing, sms, calls, etc.) is beyond my head. :o

I think he meant compared to other smartphones. :rofl: I had a dumbphone (feature phone) that went a week with my normal usage, which on a dumbphone is really limited to calls and texts. Sure you can play games, surf the web, email on dumbphones, but it's not the same as a smartphone. 

In any case, yeah, it's hard to imagine any modern smartphone getting 3 days of usage on Email, surfing the net, playing games, I have a HTC One, remember quad core CPU, massive 4.7" screen compared to iPhone, and I can easily go on 2 days of battery with about 5 hours of on screen time. 

Having a closed ecosystem is a good thing in regards to battery life. With only one device to support, you better hope Apple gets the iPhone's battery life perfect. 

#21 Gladiatorus

Gladiatorus

Neowinian

• 1,045 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 00:08

Oh God, that looks FUGLY! :x

#22 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,782 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:19

That would be a little difficult seeing as the enclosure isn't changing.  Regardless, the iPhone gets better battery life than most phones on the market.  I can easily get 3 days of casual use on my 2 year old 4S.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:42

Umm... I clearly mentioned what the comparison was...

Again this weekend I didn't charge it at all from Friday until now when I put it on my dock.  It had 6% battery left, but it's still alive.

Being on Wifi occasionally helps, but iOS doesn't have the battery-killing clutter that Android does, so I don't know why it's so surprising that I'd get good life out of this thing.

#24 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,575 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:52

I'll be curious.  My upgrade has awhile ago.   So I'll either pick up the iPhone 6,  or Samsung Galaxy 6/7 what's ever out there then.  

#25 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,084 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 19 August 2013 - 20:55

Umm... I clearly mentioned what the comparison was...

Again this weekend I didn't charge it at all from Friday until now when I put it on my dock.  It had 6% battery left, but it's still alive.

Being on Wifi occasionally helps, but iOS doesn't have the battery-killing clutter that Android does, so I don't know why it's so surprising that I'd get good life out of this thing.

Out of curiosity what are your usage and standby figures via the Settings app?

#26 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 20:59

Out of curiosity what are your usage and standby figures via the Settings app?

Can I check past data?

In the "Time since last full charge" section, it just says 0 minutes since it's been sitting on my dock all day.

#27 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 21:08

I love how TechCrunch immediately comes up with an article listing all the reasons this is a good thing. It'd be hilarous if it turned out to be a false rumor.

Looks like diarrhea, btw.

#28 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,292 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:09

(...)

Looks like diarrhea, btw.

:laugh:

#29 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,793 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:20

Apple have never sold a coloured iPhone.  They only come in black and white.

I dunno where you went to school mate but last time i checked black and white are colours. If it came out blue first then had a black one then a white one, thats 3 colours!

That gold looks horrible, its got to be at least gold plated to be at least credible. Cant just colour someat gold and make it have a premium feel, id expect it on the low cost iphone not that though

#30 mcloum

mcloum

Neowinian

• 346 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25

Apple have never sold a coloured iPhone.  They only come in black and white.

Last time i checked black and white where 2 separate colours?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!