I can browse my partner's files, she can't view mine ("Windows

My partner and I are on the same Wi-Fi network.

I can see my partner's files if I go to Start > Network and double-click on her system name.

If she does the same to my system name (it appears in her Network folder), she gets "Windows cannot access \\PC-NAME

She's running Windows 7, I'm running Windows 8.

Any ideas?

Use the 'Don't Share files' feature ... ?

The problem is before that. She can't even connect to me to view what folders I'm sharing :S

And what files did you share? Are you both members of the same homegroup, have you set that up?

Some details kind of required -- what firewall are you running, built in 3rd party?

Your machine does not magically share your folders unless you tell it too.

Click F1, type in share files in help.

And what files did you share? Are you both members of the same homegroup, have you set that up?

Some details kind of required -- what firewall are you running, built in 3rd party?

Your machine does not magically share your folders unless you tell it too.

Click F1, type in share files in help.

My system: ELLIOT-PC

Her system: TRIIN-HP

No firewalls on either PC (and it's disabled on the router).

Regarding general folder sharing:

On ELLIOT-PC, I shared a folder by going to the folder Properties, Sharing, Advanced Sharing... then I ticket "Share this folder".

TRIIN-HP can't see this (or anything I share) because within Network, she gets "Windows cannot access \\PC-NAME"

On TRIIN-HP, I shared a folder by going to the folder Properties, Sharing, Advanced Sharing... then I ticket "Share this folder".

ELLIOT-PC can access this folder perfectly.

Regarding HomeGroups:

We are part of the same HomeGroup and we appear to each other when we click HomeGroup on the Start menu and can also see the folders inside e.g. Music, Videos but when we try to open those folders, neither computer does anything (no message, just the spinning cursor icon for three seconds).

Extra information that may help:

ELLIOT-PC:

post-645-0-97712300-1376741128.png

TRIIN-HP:

post-645-0-42282000-1376741769.png

And why would you be going to network if your using homegroups

And why would you be using advanced sharing if your using homegroups. Advanced would require you to actual set permissions, both share and ntfs.

If you click the hg sharing stuff all that is handled for you because windows sets all that for you.

I notice the triin box is showing linklocal ipv6 for your elliot box, whle your e box shows ipv4 for your t box.. You are looking in network (which is jut a browse list..

Odd that your discovery method is WSD? That is web services discovery, why wouldn't it be normal netbios? Do you have IIS installed on that box?

So what do you want to use hg or normal file sharing?

And why would you be going to network if your using homegroups

And why would you be using advanced sharing if your using homegroups. Advanced would require you to actual set permissions, both share and ntfs.

If you click the hg sharing stuff all that is handled for you because windows sets all that for you.

I notice the triin box is showing linklocal ipv6 for your elliot box, whle your e box shows ipv4 for your t box.. You are looking in network (which is jut a browse list..

Odd that your discovery method is WSD? That is web services discovery, why wouldn't it be normal netbios? Do you have IIS installed on that box?

So what do you want to use hg or normal file sharing?

We definitely don't want to use HomeGroup. I only gave you that information so you knew more about the situation.

I have no idea what "ISS" is and I have no idea why the method is WSD instead of NetBIOS (I don't even know what they are).

Web Services. If you don't want to use homegroups then why did you join both machines to it?

If your not going to use homegroups - then I would remove IPv6, so you see some IP addresses you can actually work with than linklocal addresses. And make your ipconfig /all look a lot cleaner.

Leave the homegroup, and disable ipv6

Then we can walk through a simple sharing of files with none of the stuff that is suppose to make it easier ;)

from an elevated prompt

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

that will turn off ipv6, to turn it back on just how it was now delete the reg key or use

reg delete hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters\ /v DisabledComponents /f

Then we can work on simple file sharing of what folders you want, and name resolution. Once you have done that post up your ipconfig /all from both machines.

Now I run ipv6 on my box - but I have actually set mine up and removed the isatap and tunnels and teredo that you don't need if your actually going to use it ;)

ipconfig /all

post-14624-0-25646200-1376744640.png

We tried HomeGroups because we couldn't get things to work via. standard folder sharing and it would be stupid to not at least try it.

post-645-0-40969700-1376745868.png

post-645-0-67973400-1376745881.png

"from an elevated prompt"

So you didn't know what that meant, and just didn't bother to ask.. Or look it up?

nor is that a /all output ;)

Just ask and I can walk you through what "elevated prompt" is.. Or maybe you could look it up on your own?

edit: After you do that, you do need to reboot.. I assume that might be understood, but since elevated prompt was an issue. Better make it clear ;)

"from an elevated prompt"

So you didn't know what that meant, and just didn't bother to ask.. Or look it up?

nor is that a /all output ;)

Just ask and I can walk you through what "elevated prompt" is.. Or maybe you could look it up on your own?

edit: After you do that, you do need to reboot.. I assume that might be understood, but since elevated prompt was an issue. Better make it clear ;)

Apologies, I thought I was already an administrator. And forgetting "/all" was simply an accident.

The command was successful, so I restarted and took this screenshot:

post-645-0-77266100-1376748910.png

I'll throw in this bonus screenshot, because it may help :) :

post-645-0-56379500-1376749002.png

That is much cleaner and easier to read now isn't it? ;)

So you have also removed them from the homegroup I take it.. Lets do some simple name resolution testing.. Can you ping each other by name? Can you do a simple net view \\computer name?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>net view \\storage
Shared resources at \\storage

My storage server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J           Disk
Media       Disk
Molly       Disk
Music       Disk
temp        Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Windows\System32>
Do that from both directions with ping by just hostname as well.. What are the results?

Also seems odd that your showing quarantine state? Did you enable the NAP client? Was this box part of a work network at some time? I thought maybe windows 8 had nap (network access protection) client on by default, but fired up my w8.1 vm and don't see it

post-14624-0-20291500-1376826198.png

Can you fire up napclcfg.msc from run and post that

post-14624-0-24027400-1376826282.png

Not sure what you would of done in a home setup that would of enabled any of your nap clients?