New build - BIOS only partly detects hard drive

Something I just remembered when I installed 7 on an ancient Clevo D9t

I had to get a driver for the hard drive when formatting for the install. I had the driver on a flash drive, and used my DVD for the install, but it would not install until after I had loaded the driver, then removed the flash drive.

Now I freely admit, this is not your issue, but maybe it's the flash drive

(please note: I'm only offer this as a troubleshooting tip)

What happens when you use a Win 7 disk to boot instead of USB?

I don't have an optical drive, but I'll try to track one down now.

• Like 1

The 6 onboard SATA should be Intel Controller, and the PATA is a VIA controller.. So where this JMicron is coming from is a mystery...

they most likely forgot to disable the jmicron bits from the bios code for this particular board.

Something I just remembered when I installed 7 on an ancient Clevo D9t

I had to get a driver for the hard drive when formatting for the install. I had the driver on a flash drive, and used my DVD for the install, but it would not install until after I had loaded the driver, then removed the flash drive.

Now I freely admit, this is not your issue, but maybe it's the flash drive

(please note: I'm only offer this as a troubleshooting tip)

Has nothing to do with the setup restarting.  Would just not see the drives.  But honestly there aren't really any but commercial hd controllers that need drivers in Win7.

Recreate the Win7 USB installer. The HD appears to be detected by the BIOS okay I'm sure the USB is the issue, if it still doesn't work atleast you can rule it out.

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with the setup restarting.  Would just not see the drives.  But honestly there aren't really any but commercial hd controllers that need drivers in Win7.

I would agree with you on this, but I remember what a pain in the ass my D9T was. It used to be an xp machine. But nothing I could do would let me access the drives in it.

After reading up on the laptop, I learned that it was a driver issue, once I reloaded the driver it formatted and installed without any problems.

King Mustard, sorry for going off topic slightly :)

What happens when you use a Win 7 disk to boot instead of USB?

I have now tried this.

The Windows logo appears in the center of the screen but no loading bar appears - it just hangs on the logo.

Same thing happens if I unplug the hard drive.

I get the feeling my motherboard is b0rked...

I have now tried this.

The Windows logo appears in the center of the screen but no loading bar appears - it just hangs on the logo.

There is a way to test this. Do you by any chance have a spare hard drive? Or a large capacity flash drive to install windows on to?

I have now tried this.

Do you have another hd you can try? Just to put the nail on the coffin that it is the controller that is not working

There is a way to test this. Do you by any chance have a spare hard drive? Or a large capacity flash drive to install windows on to?

Do you have another hd you can try? Just to put the nail on the coffin that it is the controller that is not working

Unfortunately not. Besides, it works fine in my main PC (as a secondary drive, only tried that).

However, would anything bad happen to the installation of Windows on my main's PCs SSD if I plugged that in?

Unfortunately not. Besides, it works fine in my main PC (as a secondary drive, only tried that).

However, would anything bad happen to the installation of Windows on my main's PCs SSD if I plugged that in?

Not that I'm aware of, most likely it'll just bsod because the hardware will be different to it's configuration.

But. If it does take it. Windows will try to reconfigure the setup to your new hardware config.

Not that I'm aware of, most likely it'll just bsod because the hardware will be different to it's configuration.

But. If it does take it. Windows will try to reconfigure the setup to your new hardware config.

I plugged in the SSD from my main PC (contains my Windows 8 installation on it) and the Windows logo and "throbber" appeared but after a few seconds, the system restarted itself.

This definitely seems like a b0rked motherboard to me.

I plugged in the SSD from my main PC (contains my Windows 8 installation on it) and the Windows logo and "throbber" appeared but after a few seconds, the system restarted itself.

This definitely seems like a b0rked motherboard to me.

oh, is the mobo still under warranty?

oh, is the mobo still under warranty?

Nope, was bought in September 2010.

The PC is made up of components out of my main PC, when the main PC was upgraded.

The motherboard worked fine in there :( But it has been in storage for around four months.

EDIT: "All ASUS motherboard purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry 3 year warranty services. ASUS product warranty is based on the serial number printed." - Interesting! Wow, I was 2 weeks away from it being out of warranty. I believe I have to send it back to Scan.

• Like 1

Looks like a corrupted USB installation, to me; have you tried another OS, like Ubuntu or other Linux, in the same USB disk? If it does install and work with no problems, then it's the Windows USB installation that got b0rked; if not then try swamping USB disks, as it can be the common factor.

About the JMicron: that's the RAID controller the board has, it won't cause the problems you are experiencing.

Looks like a corrupted USB installation, to me; have you tried another OS, like Ubuntu or other Linux, in the same USB disk? If it does install and work with no problems, then it's the Windows USB installation that got b0rked; if not then try swamping USB disks, as it can be the common factor.

About the JMicron: that's the RAID controller the board has, it won't cause the problems you are experiencing.

Looks like you haven't read the whole topic ;)

Looks like you haven't read the whole topic ;)

sorry, that's true; i've read a couple of posts but i'm working on my vacations so i skipped a couple of pages :blush:

Try resetting the CMOS (remove the battery for a few secs), and leave BIOS on defaults then try installing Windows. Might also be worth running a check with Memtest86 to make sure RAM is okay.

I have one more suggestion if you want to give it a shot. I noticed on the 4th screenshot you have it set to AHCI. I know that if you don't install it with AHCI enabled and enable it after the fact you will have boot issues (I know, because I have.) I'd try to change it to IDE mode or whatever other option and see.

It's worth a shot, but if you're going to RMA the mobo, it won't matter.

I have one more suggestion if you want to give it a shot. I noticed on the 4th screenshot you have it set to AHCI. I know that if you don't install it with AHCI enabled and enable it after the fact you will have boot issues (I know, because I have.) I'd try to change it to IDE mode or whatever other option and see.

It's worth a shot, but if you're going to RMA the mobo, it won't matter.

I tried IDE mode, also. Enhanced and the other one. Nothing worked :(

I tried IDE mode, also. Enhanced and the other one. Nothing worked :(

Not sure why everyone is fixated on the hd controller.  There are many things that could be wrong with the board to cause this that have nothing to do with the hd controller.  Also you tried booting from cd and usb and both did the same thing.  Leads me to believe its either the board is unstable (cpu, memory or psu) or defective (doesnt really matter whats broken on it, its dead).  If you can swap everything then you would know easily.  If you have no other cpu, ram or psu, you will have to play guessing games and try buying stuff.

Try the psu and ram if you can.