• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2013 - 17:05

Microsoft: Age of Empires Online currently has 10,000 active players
by John Callaham

In August 2011, Microsoft finally launched Age of Empires Online, its long awaited free-to-play PC game based on the well known RTS franchise. The company has never commented on how many players the game has had but that changed today at a panel during GDC Europe in Cologne, Germany.

Engadget reports that the panel, with the title "F2P the Wrong Way: Age of Empires Online", included a chart showing that the active daily users for the game were close to 70,000 when it launched. The game included two free civilizations for free, with two more available for download for $20 each.

However, the business model that was set up for Age of Empires Online backfired on Microsoft and a chart of the game's active players showed that by December 2011, it had decreased to less than 15,000. The game got a boost in April 2012 when it started being sold on Valve's Steam service but the gains were short lived. Currently, Microsoft says there are only 10,000 active online daily players.

Microsoft stopped adding new content to the game in January saying that the cost to make new content was simply too expensive. The panel also indicated that while new content kept older players from leaving, it did little to bring in new players. It's clear that Microsoft, working with its development partner Gas Powered Games, made some major mistakes in Age of Empires Online and we have to wonder how long it will be before the game itself is shut down entirely.

Source: Engadget | Image via Engadget

#2 remco8264

remco8264

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 August 2013 - 22:58

''we have to wonder how long it will be before the game itself is shut down entirely.''

Someone on the AOE forums managed to grab a screenshot before Microsoft deleted the information: http://i.imgur.com/q513wVZ.jpg

Thread on forums: http://forums.ageofe...ShowThread.aspx

#3 bush

bush

Devil Without A Cause

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:15

A shame that since it's a very good game. Wouldn't it be for the constant internet connectivity, we could play it for long after that.

Except that I can't complete any legendary quests. 

#4 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:10

I have tried to install this game via Steam but it's no longer on there.  Is it not available for new starters now?

#5 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 02 September 2013 - 20:18

A shame that since it's a very good game.

I looked forward to it, was excited to play it, but it felt more like WoW than AoE. I found it a chore to play.

I always assumed it's low player count was do to it not being very good... I'd rather play AoE2 HD on steam...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!