Insect breeding on your kitchen counter

I never would have thought that I could use the term ?ant farm? so literally. But Farm 432 is doing just that with their DIY larva growing system, expecting farmers to eat the ?fruits? of their labors. While the average American may be hesitant to snack on a centipede or bite a beetle, cuisines in other countries like Thailand, Mexico, and China, all feature insects.  And in a culture where people are increasingly obsessed with going back to the natural roots of their food, insect farming seems like the next logical progression.  

Designer Katharina Unger highly recommends the new system, writing on her website, ?Farm 432 enables people to turn against the dysfunctional system of current meat production by growing their own protein source at home. After 432 hours, 1 gram of black soldier fly eggs turn into 2.4 kilogram of larvae protein, larvae that self-harvest and fall clean and ready to eat into a harvest bucket. This scenario creates not only a more sustainable future of food production, but suggests new lifestyles and food cultures.?

A report from the UN encouraged people to eat more insects, noting that over 2 billion people worldwide already used bugs in their diets and could serve as a nutritious alternative to those suffering from malnutrition, particularly children

more

post-37120-0-71785800-1376948519.jpg

When my uncle, a former Navy UDT (WW-2 version of a SEAL), taught all the cousins survival skills part of the lesson was cooking / eating grubs, grasshoppers, ants, etc. as well ss worms, snakes, frogs, and lizards. Not too bad, I still have a fondness for frog $ snake meat, and the big white grubs are rather nutty & sweet.

Ants larvae and eggs are quite delicious if prepared right. Cant believe how spoiled some people are.

How is feeling ill at the idea of eating a certain thing, spoiled?  People in some parts of China eat dog, and even consider -that- to be delicious.  Will you chow down on a poodle?

How is feeling ill at the idea of eating a certain thing, spoiled?

Because the mere idea of feeling ill at the idea is just like capitalist minimalism: A bourgeois whim.

Food is food.

Because the mere idea of feeling ill at the idea is just like capitalist minimalism: A bourgeois whim.

Food is food.

I just couldn't eat anymore kangaroo testicles. The weird part is, now I can't get enough of them.

• Like 2

I just couldn't eat anymore kangaroo testicles. The weird part is, now I can't get enough of them.

Never knew you could eat them. Good to know.

Here in Mexico many places serve either horse or bull's testicles.

Food is food.

Bull.

It's the society you grow up in which dictates the sort of things that may or may not turn your stomach when it comes to food, capitalism has bugger all to do with it,

• Like 2

I always laugh when this news comes out...people saying eww and feeling ill...They're not just going to throw you a bowl of bugs and say "there you go chow down" Just like all food types they taste fine mixed and im 99% sure if insects got added to your favourite dishes you'd be none the wiser. Im 100% behind this movement  and think the quicker we solve problems of hunger the better.

So after 18 days we have 1kg of .... "larvae protein". 

Did anyone tried this? Wonder what does it taste like (I'm  not interested tho, I'm highly susceptible by the looks of food). 

It does look yummy doesn't it? :D 

insects-header-590x325.jpg

I find the idea of eating any kind of an insect to be repulsive.

If I'm lost in taiga, I'll stick to berries and nuts as a worst case scenario. Thank you. 

It is better to sleep alone than with whomever;

It is better to starve than eat whatever.

Omar Khayyam

Ants larvae and eggs are quite delicious if prepared right. Cant believe how spoiled some people are.

Oh you know - people have different tastes around the world.  You get more and more up onto your soapbox each day, and labeling people as bourgeois makes you no better than those you seem to feel somehow superior to.

Im 100% behind this movement and think the quicker we solve problems of hunger the better.

The only problems with world hunger are distribution and profiteering. As far as actual production goes, there is plenty for everyone.

• Like 2

I always laugh when this news comes out...people saying eww and feeling ill...They're not just going to throw you a bowl of bugs and say "there you go chow down" Just like all food types they taste fine mixed and im 99% sure if insects got added to your favourite dishes you'd be none the wiser. Im 100% behind this movement  and think the quicker we solve problems of hunger the better.

Well, its the thought of eating insects that sound gross.

Bull.

It's the society you grow up in which dictates the sort of things that may or may not turn your stomach when it comes to food, capitalism has bugger all to do with it,

Are you saying western societies are not a product of capitalism?