Shall I get a Macbook air or a Surface Pro

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:06

I have no idea what is best for you. You need to decide that for yourself.

#17 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:07

Hello,

I would suggest looking at a Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (or, if you're looking for a touchscreen, the X230t).  It is likely to remain usable for a longer time than a MacBook Air or the Microsoft Surface.  It certainly is more upgradeable than either of those computers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#18 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:30

Out of the two choices I would go for the macbook. But if we are suggesting other things as well then I agree with Goretsky, the X230 would probably be a decent option to go for and will probably cost less as well.

#19 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:31

Hello,

I would suggest looking at a Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (or, if you're looking for a touchscreen, the X230t).  It is likely to remain usable for a longer time than a MacBook Air or the Microsoft Surface.  It certainly is more upgradeable than either of those computers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

If I was going to use Windows 8, I'd be using it on a ThinkPad.  I don't think I'd bother with a Surface, I love just about everything about it, except the keyboard.  I just cannot be doing without a decent keyboard and I don't see the point in having to lug around two devices - might as well just get a laptop.

I'm not anti-Mac, but I don't particularly like them either, however in this case if you're dead-set on one or the other, it'd be the Mac for me.  If you're open to other choices, I'd ditch both and grab something like a ThinkPad or just a decent spec laptop, really.

#20 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:15

I'd be inclined to go and have a play with a Surface Pro before making a decision.

There are some limitations. For instance, using it "angled" on your lap is difficult, you can't really use the kick stand on your lap. The screen is smaller than that on the Macbook, but higher quality. The Pro gets warm/hot (not unbearably) and the battery life isn't amazing.. It's about 4-5 hours give or take. You need adapters to plug into a projector/ethernet cable (both can obviously be done wirelessly)

The benefit of the Pro is that you have a stylus (which is awesome with OneNote (Learn to love it, it's your best friend at University regardless of whether you get a Mac or PC)). It's one of the most portable devices on the market. It's getting pretty regular updates and it performs nicely. In all, I think it's a great choice SO LONG as you know the limitations :)

My choice would be the Pro, but you need to decide with the pros and cons of both.

#21 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:53

As good as tablets are, dead tree and graphite is still the king of the hill. They allow degrees of subtlety that are difficult to reproduce even with professional drawing applications like photoshop, and nothing else is nearly as intuitive. When you're trying to get your head around some difficult concept or keep up with a strange proof, the last thing you want is to be dealing with palm-print input, accidentally undoing, or dicking about with confusing application settings. Stylus also 'feels' worse than a pen/paper.  It's not bad for doodling on the bus, but after 2 or 3 hours a day taking notes you'll start wanting the real thing.

Can't agree with this.... Stylus feels way better for me and I find myself writing with a lot more fluidity than I do with a pencil.... If i make a mistake I hold down the button on my pen and erase something, don't have to stop and look for an eraser or have scratch marks all over.... 

If you really need that paper feel, you can buy a cover for your tablet that gives it the paper feel when you write. 

I have a digitized tablet PC from fujitsu. I don't know how well the surface writes. I would Strongly recommend you going into the store and writing a little in one note. don't doddle! actually write something out.